The Weeknd and Doja Cat lead 2022 ‘Billboard’ Music Awards nominations

The Weeknd and Doja Cat lead 2022 ‘Billboard’ Music Awards nominations
The Weeknd and Doja Cat lead 2022 ‘Billboard’ Music Awards nominations
Theo Wargo/Getty Images For US Weekly/ Lester Cohen/Getty Images for The Recording Academy

With 17 nods, The Weeknd will be the act to beat at the Billboard Music Awards next month, but Doja Cat and her 14 nods will give him fierce competition.

The “Blinding Lights” singer is a finalist in several major categories, including top artist, top R&B artist and top radio songs artist.  His “Save Your Tears” collab with Ariana Grande earned him six nods — including top Hot 100 song, top streaming song and top radio song.

Doja Cat is up for a majority of the same big awards as The Weeknd — such as top artist and top R&B artist — and her “Kiss Me More” collab with SZA earned her plenty of recognition, including top collaboration and top viral song.  

Tied with the third-most nominations are Olivia RodrigoJustin Bieber and Kanye West, with 13 each.  Meanwhile, Dua Lipa and Ed Sheeran are tied with nine nods, while The Kid LAROI follows up with eight. BTS and Taylor Swift have each been nominated seven times. 

Taylor is the most-awarded female artist in Billboard Awards history, earning 25 wins over her career.  She’s also now scored her eighth top artist nod, making her the most-recognized person in that respective category. This year, she’s also been nominated in some country categories thanks to her re-released albums Fearless (Taylor’s Version) and Red (Taylor’s Version).

The BBMAs will air Sunday, May 15, starting at 8 p.m. ET on NBC and on the Peacock streaming service.  A host for this year’s ceremony has yet to be announced.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Bullet for My Valentine premieres new song “Omen” off upcoming deluxe self-titled album

Bullet for My Valentine premieres new song “Omen” off upcoming deluxe self-titled album
Bullet for My Valentine premieres new song “Omen” off upcoming deluxe self-titled album
Spinefarm/Search and Destroy

Bullet for My Valentine has dropped a new single called “Omen.”

The track, which is available now via digital outlets, will appear on the upcoming deluxe version of the Welsh metal outfit’s 2021 self-titled album, due out July 8.

“Omen” is one of four previously unreleased tracks included on the deluxe, along with “No More Tears,” “Step Out from the Inside,” and “This Means War.” The expanded set also includes the song “Stitches,” which had previously only been available in Japan.

The original Bullet for My Valentine dropped last November. It includes the singles “Knives” and “Rainbow Veins.”

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

“The Home Edit”‘s Clea Shearer undergoes surgery for breast cancer

“The Home Edit”‘s Clea Shearer undergoes surgery for breast cancer
“The Home Edit”‘s Clea Shearer undergoes surgery for breast cancer
fstop123/Getty Images

(NEW YORK) — Clea Shearer, co-founder of The Home Edit, a home organizing company, announced she has breast cancer and shared a message encouraging women to be their own advocates when it comes to their health.

Shearer, a Nashville, Tennessee-based mom of two, shared on Instagram Thursday that she was diagnosed with an aggressive form of breast cancer after finding a lump in her breast in February.

She said that her OBGYN was not able to see her, so she had to seek out her primary care doctor to have a mammogram done.

“I had to request a mammogram from my general doctor, which led to an ultrasound, and then an emergency triple biopsy,” Shearer wrote in an Instagram post. “I have two tumors, 1 cm each, that are aggressive and fast moving – but I caught it early. Had I not taken this upon myself, I would be in a completely different situation right now.”

Shearer, 40, said in a later Instagram story that she has an invasive type of breast cancer, which means the cancer has spread into surrounding breast tissue, according to the American Cancer Society (ACS).

The star of Netflix’s Get Organized with The Home Edit, said she is undergoing a double mastectomy and shared a photo of herself Friday in the hospital awaiting surgery.

Breast cancer is the second most common cancer among women in the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

On average, over 255,000 cases of breast cancer are diagnosed each year in the U.S., and over 40,000 people die each year from the disease, according to the CDC.

Screening for breast cancer — which includes mammograms, at-home breast self-exams and clinical breast exams done by a doctor or nurse — can help catch the disease early, when it is easier to treat, according to the CDC.

Shearer said she decided to share her cancer battle publicly to encourage other women to “to self-examine on a regular basis, self-advocate always, and to prioritize your health over your busy schedules.”

She noted that she was under the age of 40 when her tumors were found and has no family history of breast cancer.

“The most important thing for everyone to remember is that I found these tumors myself,” Shearer said in her Instagram stories. “I felt something and I said something.”

“I’m begging you all. I’m pleading with you. Please examine yourself on a regular basis. Please fight for your own testing and your own scans, even if your doctor is not being helpful, and please prioritize your health,” she added.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Check out new video for Geezer Butler’s collaborative song with Apocalyptica, “I’ll Get Through It”

Check out new video for Geezer Butler’s collaborative song with Apocalyptica, “I’ll Get Through It”
Check out new video for Geezer Butler’s collaborative song with Apocalyptica, “I’ll Get Through It”
Harmageddon Records

The music video for “I’ll Get Through It,” Black Sabbath bassist Geezer Butler‘s new collaboration with the symphonic metal band Apocalyptica, has premiered online.

The clip features dramatic portraits of Butler and the cello rockers, as well as singer Franky Perez, who handles lead vocals on the track. You can watch it now streaming on Apocalyptica’s official YouTube channel.

“I’ll Get Through It,” which was released last month, was written by prolific hit songwriter and 13-time Oscar-nominee Diane Warren, whose long list of credits includes Aerosmith‘s “I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing,” Chicago‘s “Look Away,” Cher‘s “If I Could Turn Back Time,” and many, many others.

Apocalyptica’s most recent album, Cell-0, was released in 2020. The band will launch a U.S. headlining tour Thursday night in Atlanta. Perez, who sang on Apocalyptica’s 2015 record, Shadowmaker, will be the vocalist for the tour.

As for Butler, he’s written a graphic novel called The Antibody that’s which is being released as a multi-part NFT collection via the NFT marketplace YellowHeart, the first chapter of which was made available last month at yh.io. The digital book tells the story of a mutated antibody that goes on to wreak havoc on humanity. Each episode will feature original music composed by Geezer.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Toto’s smash album Toto IV, which features “Africa” and “Rosanna,” celebrates 40th anniversary today

Toto’s smash album Toto IV, which features “Africa” and “Rosanna,” celebrates 40th anniversary today
Toto’s smash album Toto IV, which features “Africa” and “Rosanna,” celebrates 40th anniversary today
Sony Music Entertainment

Toto‘s landmark fourth studio album, the aptly titled Toto IV, was released 40 years ago today.

The album yielded four top-40 singles, including the melodic rock band’s two biggest hits, “Africa” and “Rosanna,” which peaked at #1 and #2, respectively, on the Billboard Hot 100. Toto IV also included “I Won’t Hold You Back” and “Make Believe,” which reached #10 and #30 on the chart.

Toto IV peaked at #4 on the Billboard 200, and has sold over 3 million copies in the U.S.

“Africa” was co-written by Toto keyboardist David Paich and drummer Jeff Porcaro, and features Paich sharing lead vocals with founding frontman Bobby Kimball. Eagles bassist Timothy B. Schmit contributed backing vocals to the track, as well as to two other songs on the album, “I Won’t Hold You Back” and “Good for You.”

In 2020, “Africa” was certified six-times Platinum by the RIAA.

The song enjoyed a resurgence in popularity over the last couple of decades, at first as part of the “yacht rock” craze, and then after alternative rock band Weezer covered the tune in 2018.

In 2019, founding Toto guitarist Steve Lukather admitted to ABC Audio that he didn’t understand the enduring popularity of “Africa.”

“That was the weirdest tune we’ve ever cut,” he said. “We buried it…on side two on the IV album. The fact it was hit the first time was just staggering to me, but the fact that all these years later it’s become this thing [baffles me.]”

Reflecting on why the “kitschy” tune is so beloved, Lukather posed, “It’s not about love or politics or the end of the world. It’s just a silly song to make people dance and sing and forget about things for four minutes, I guess.”

Here’s Toto IV‘s track list:

“Rosanna”
“Make Believe”
“I Won’t Hold You Back”
“Good for You”
“It’s a Feeling”
“Afraid of Love”
“Lovers in the Night”
“We Made It”
“Waiting for Your Love”
“Africa”

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Report: ‘SNL’ star Kenan Thompson and wife split after 11 years of marriage

Report: ‘SNL’ star Kenan Thompson and wife split after 11 years of marriage
Report: ‘SNL’ star Kenan Thompson and wife split after 11 years of marriage
Dan MacMedan/WireImage

Saturday Night Live star Kenan Thompson and his wife, Christina Evangeline, have called it quits after 11 years of marriage, a source tells Us Weekly.

“Kenan and Christina are completely amicable,” says the insider, who reveals the couple “officially” separated in back in November 2020. “They remain close as coparents and have remained very close throughout the separation.”

The source adds the split was a “mutual decision” between the two, explaining that the 43-year-old Kenan star and Christina, 33, “really just grew apart and wanted different things.”

Thompson sees his estranged wife “almost every day still” when he’s in town and the duo often “go to dinners just the two of them,” according to the insider.

And while neither has “officially filed for divorce” as of now, the source tells the magazine, “It can happen soon.”

Regardless, the insider insists Kenan’s “very active in his daughters’ lives. He’s an amazing father, especially given his schedule and obligations.”

“The kids spend majority of the time with their mom but he always makes sure to see them,” the source continues.

Thompson and Evangeline tied the knot in 2011.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

What’s in season for spring? All the produce at its peak April through June

What’s in season for spring? All the produce at its peak April through June
What’s in season for spring? All the produce at its peak April through June
ABC News Illustration

(NEW YORK) — Eating with the seasons is a great way to consume produce at peak freshness when it’s full of nutrients and flavor. Plus, it supports local and regional growers.

When it comes to spring, there’s a period of cold snaps in some areas that mean the burst buds will break a bit later in some areas. But everyone can expect an array of seasonal fruits and veggies soon.

Check out a list below of what’s in season from April through June.

Make sure to check your local farmers markets or seasonal growing calendar because produce availability can differ by location based on harvest and yield.

  • Asparagus*
  • Beans
  • Beets**
  • Beet greens*
  • Broccoli**
  • Cabbage**
  • Herbs
  • Lettuce*
  • Mesclun
  • Onions
  • Parsnips
  • Peas**
  • Radishes*
  • Rhubarb*
  • Scallions*
  • Spinach*
  • Squash*
  • Apples
  • Strawberries**

* Indicates May and June

**Indicates only June

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Amir Locke’s death prompts ban on no-knock warrants

Amir Locke’s death prompts ban on no-knock warrants
Amir Locke’s death prompts ban on no-knock warrants
Stephen Maturen/Getty Images

(MINNEAPOLIS) — Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey’s full ban on applying for and executing “no-knock” search warrants in the city goes into effect Friday.

The policy implementation comes just two days after the announcement that no criminal charges would be filed in the case of Amir Locke, who was fatally shot in February by Minneapolis police officers executing a no-knock search warrant on the apartment he was in.

No-knock warrants allow officers to enter a private home without knocking or making their presence known.

Frey said that exceptions could be granted for hostage situations or other extremely dangerous scenarios.

The department will also establish a classification system for warrants: low, medium and high risk. Medium and high-risk warrants will require additional approval.

The new policy also established wait times for officers before they can enter a residence while executing a knock-and-announce warrant.

During the day, officers will have to wait 20 seconds after making themselves known before entering a residence. At night, the wait time is 30 seconds.

The ban would also extend to warrants carried out by the Minneapolis Police Department on behalf of other agencies, as well as those that have been requested by Minneapolis police but executed by other departments.

Frey received backlash for the previous moratorium on no-knock warrants because officials could execute such a warrant if it is determined that there is an imminent threat of harm to an individual or the public.

“It’s important to implore upon everyone, that half measures have really gotten cities nowhere across the country,” said attorney Jeff Storms, who is co-representing Locke’s family members, at a February hearing on no-knock warrants.

“It’s important that city does not just put Band-Aids on the immediate problems but spends time thinking about how to preempt the next civil rights violation, not just related to no-knock warrants, but to other areas of policy practice and training,” he added.

No-knock warrants have come under scrutiny, most prominently in the 2020 killing of Breonna Taylor during a botched drug raid.

Karen Wells, Locke’s mother, spoke with ABC News Live’s Stephanie Ramos Wednesday, just hours after Minnesota prosecutors announced they wouldn’t charge the officer who shot Locke.

Wells said that such warrants should be banned in her son’s name.

“They’re not good for my son. They’re not good for anybody else. Because in the end, it doesn’t do anything. It brings harm, it brings death, which is what happened with my son,” Wells told ABC News.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Man accused of shooting Lady Gaga’s dog walker mistakenly released from jail, still at large

Man accused of shooting Lady Gaga’s dog walker mistakenly released from jail, still at large
Man accused of shooting Lady Gaga’s dog walker mistakenly released from jail, still at large
Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department

The man accused of shooting Lady Gaga‘s dog walker, Ryan Fischer, while stealing two of Gaga’s French bulldogs last year was mistakenly released from jail on Wednesday, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.

A clerical error was responsible for the release of James Jackson, says the LASD.  Jackson had attended a hearing on April 5 but was then “inadvertently” released from custody. The Major Crimes Bureau is now working to track him down.  As of Friday, they were still looking for him.

In previously sealed grand jury testimony Fischer provided in October 2021, which was obtained by Rolling Stone last month, Fischer said he was trying to grab one of the dogs, Koji, when “the man with the gun shot me as I was reaching.”  Fischer says Jackson and his accomplices took Koji and another dog, Gustav, when he went down.

“I immediately tried to call for help but realized I was bleeding out of my lung and that I was losing more and more air quickly,” Fisher testified.  He was subsequently rushed to the hospital, where, he says, “part of my lung” was removed, causing him to continue to struggle with “breathing issues.”

Jackson, Jaylin White and Lafayette Whaley face attempted murder charges in connection with the incident. White’s father, Harold White, as well as Jennifer McBride are charged as accessories to attempted murder: McBride claimed she “found” the dogs and tried to claim the $500,000 reward Gaga offered for their return.

 

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

How a mom’s ‘need-to-use’ fridge bin saved her hundreds on groceries

How a mom’s ‘need-to-use’ fridge bin saved her hundreds on groceries
How a mom’s ‘need-to-use’ fridge bin saved her hundreds on groceries
Tom Merton/Getty Images

(NEW YORK) — Most people have gone to open the fridge, pulled out an ingredient or moved around some jars just to realize that something that got moved or neglected has now gone bad.

Registered dietitian and mother of two Alyssa Miller offered her insight on what she considers a fool-proof way to help curb food waste.

“This is my need to use bin that lives right here all the time,” she shared in an Instagram post. “I put food in it, not necessarily leftovers, but food that I need to eat before it goes bad.”

To reorganize her fridge, Miller has labeled shelves and added a bin that she says has saved her up to $400 per month on groceries.

“I needed to figure out a way to make sure I was using all of the foods I was buying,” Miller told ABC News’ Good Morning America. “It’s more for those foods that need to be eaten in the next day or two because they’re kind of like on the clock.”

Each week, Miller said she does a sweep of everything in her fridge and looks for anything close to expiring.

“Maybe it’s a cucumber I had half cut up for a salad earlier that week and I know that it’s about to start to go slimy, so I’ll put it in that ‘need-to-use’ bin,” she said.

Another fridge suggestion that Miller abides by is dividing foods up by category and using clear bins to easily sort and access them, without leaving items to go bad in the way back.

Like other organization pros including the ladies of The Home Edit, Miller advises taking inventory of your fridge each week to make sure you don’t buy items you already have.

A great way, especially for families, to save on groceries is meal planning.

“Having some sort of plan really does save you money,” Miller said.

She also added that frozen and canned foods are another great way to stretch your dollar.

To make a need-to-use bin, start with a clear bin that fits in a prominent section of your fridge and then clearly label the bin with tape and a sharpie.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.