Adam Lambert says medications for anxiety and depression made him “put on the pounds”

Adam Lambert says medications for anxiety and depression made him “put on the pounds”
Adam Lambert says medications for anxiety and depression made him “put on the pounds”
BMG

Adam Lambert releases his new album High Drama on Friday. He revealed the cover art, which shows him surrounded by shattered glass, is a representation of the barriers he broke through as a gay man in the industry.

Adam told People he also suffered a small injury while shooting the photo. A shard of glass cut him across his nose. “It wasn’t deep, but it was definitely a bit of blood,” he explained, adding, “I thought, ‘Well, this is high drama.'”

While Adam has grappled with negative comments about his sexuality throughout his career, he is now fielding unwanted remarks about his weight. He noticed such feedback after releasing the music video for his cover of Bonnie Tyler‘s “Holding Out for a Hero” in January.

“Most of the comments were very positive, but a fair number of people were like, ‘Whoa, he got fat,'” Adam recalled. “I thought to myself, ‘I’m fully aware I’m not the same size I was five years ago. Thanks for reminding me.'”

“I’m 41. I’m not 20 anymore! Also, you never know what someone’s life looks like behind closed doors or what factors have led to changes in people’s bodies — so keep [the criticism] to yourself,” he added.

Adam revealed he sought treatment for anxiety and depression five years ago after suffering panic attacks during his tour with Queen. “I was burnt out and hit a wall,” he explained.

He said the medication he was prescribed “put on the pounds,” and noted he is now prioritizing his mental health. “Finding that balance between career and personal life is really important…,” he said. “That’s a big part of staying happy and healthy.”

Adam is satisfied with his self-love journey, adding, “I feel more sure of myself than I’ve ever been.”

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Update on the rumored Rolling Stones/Paul McCartney collaboration

Update on the rumored Rolling Stones/Paul McCartney collaboration
Update on the rumored Rolling Stones/Paul McCartney collaboration
Steve Eichner/WWD/Penske Media via Getty Images

As previously reported, a recent article in Variety claimed The Rolling Stones had collaborated with Paul McCartney for their upcoming album, with the Beatle allegedly laying down bass tracks recently at a studio in Los Angeles. Well, it turns out fans shouldn’t expect to hear McCartney on the entire record. 

ABC Audio has learned that McCartney does play bass on one track, and early reports, also by Variety, suggesting Ringo Starr was also part of the project are inaccurate.

As for the record itself, it is reportedly being produced by Ozzy Osbourne/Iggy Pop/Elton John producer Andrew Watt. So far, there’s no word on when The Stones’ album will come out, but whenever it does, it will be the band’s first album of original material since 2005’s A Bigger Bang. The last new album they released was the 2016’s blues covers album Blue & Lonesome.

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Elton John extends his record of having highest-grossing tour of all time

Elton John extends his record of having highest-grossing tour of all time
Elton John extends his record of having highest-grossing tour of all time
Ben Gibson for Rocket Entertainment

Elton John is making it even harder to break his record of having the highest-grossing tour of all time.

Last month, Billboard reported Sir Elton’s Farewell Yellow Brick Road Tour became the first trek ever to earn more than $800 million, besting the previous record Ed Sheeran set in 2019 after his Divide tour made $776.4 million.

The outlet reports Sir Elton’s tour added an additional $40.9 million to its coffers in the month of January, during which he performed eight shows across Australia and New Zealand.

The numbers now extend his lead atop the Top Tours chart. Sir Elton is also #1 on the Top Boxscores chart for making $11.3 million after performing a pair of shows at Allianz Stadium in Sydney, Australia.

This marks the ninth time an artist has simultaneously ruled both charts, but the second time for Sir Elton. The only other act who ruled both charts twice is K-pop sensation BTS

Sir Elton’s pair of performance at AAMI Park in Melbourne, Australia, is #2 on the recent Boxscores chart after making $10.2 million. He also appears in fourth place, making $8.4 million for his two shows at McDonald Jones Stadium in Newcastle, New South Wales.

Sir Elton’s farewell tour is scheduled to conclude on July 8 in Stockholm, Sweden.

As previously reported, Sir Elton’s career total when it comes to concerts stands at $1.863 billion grossed and 19.9 million tickets sold — the highest for any solo artist in Billboard Boxscore history.

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Don Henley honored with Milestone Award at 2023 ‘Pollstar’ Awards

Don Henley honored with Milestone Award at 2023 ‘Pollstar’ Awards
Don Henley honored with Milestone Award at 2023 ‘Pollstar’ Awards
Ethan Miller/Getty Images

The Eagles’ Don Henley received quite an honor this week. The Rock & Roll Hall of Famer was feted at the 2023 Pollstar Awards with this year’s Milestone Award.

“I appreciate this very much,” Henley said in accepting his honor. “We are three shows into our 51st year as a band and touring entity — and feeling every one of them. But we feel very fortunate.”

Henley was referring to the band’s current Hotel California tour, which hits Palm Springs, California, on Friday, and wraps April 8 in Baltimore, Maryland.

Other winners at the Pollstar Awards include: Mötley Crüe and Def Leppard’s co-headlining Stadium Tour, which nabbed Rock and Roll Tour of the Year; Joan Jett & the Blackhearts, who were among the openers on the trek, won Support/Special Guest Act of the Year.

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Senators call upon Department of Justice to investigate Ticketmaster for its alleged “monopoly power”

Senators call upon Department of Justice to investigate Ticketmaster for its alleged “monopoly power”
Senators call upon Department of Justice to investigate Ticketmaster for its alleged “monopoly power”
ABC

The Senate Judiciary Committee is calling upon the Department of Justice to further examine Ticketmaster’s alleged monopoly.

This comes after the bipartisan committee grilled Ticketmaster officials on Capitol Hill during a January Congressional hearing, which was proposed after the disastrous presale of Taylor Swift‘s Eras Tour.

Variety obtained a copy of the letter Senators Amy Klobuchar and Mike Lee sent the DOJ, which included evidence from the recent hearing.

“We have long been concerned about the state of competition in America’s ticketing industry, especially with the power and reach of Live Nation and its wholly-owned subsidiary, Ticketmaster,” the letter begins.

The Senate committee claimed, “For too long, Live Nation and Ticketmaster have wielded monopoly power anticompetitively, harming fans and artists alike.”

Evidence from the hearing included the claim that “87 percent of Billboard’s Top 40 Tours in 2022 were ticketed by Ticketmaster in the U.S. and that Ticketmaster has exclusive ticketing contracts for more than 85 percent of the nation’s NFL, NHL, and NBA teams.” 

The letter adds Live Nation said those stats were inaccurate but did not “provide any alternative data.”

Live Nation apparently “provided no response” to other questions about its alleged monopoly, such as the number of venues it works with, its usage of exclusivity agreements and how many venue contracts it lost to competitors.

“Live Nation’s responses amount to ‘trust us.’ We believe that is wholly insufficient,” the letter closes. “We thank you for your prompt attention to these matters and encourage the Antitrust Division to take action if it finds that Ticketmaster has walled itself off from competitive pressure at the expense of the industry and fans.”

Critics have long accused Ticketmaster of raising ticket prices, shutting out smaller venues, crushing smaller artists and sidelining rival ticket companies.

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Mick Jagger featured in new documentary Little Richard: I Am Everything

Mick Jagger featured in new documentary Little Richard: I Am Everything
Mick Jagger featured in new documentary Little Richard: I Am Everything
Photo courtesy of Magnolia Pictures

A new documentary on rock’s founding father Little Richard is heading to theaters in New York and LA on April 21.

Little Richard: I Am Everything premiered at Sundance. It details the life of the man born Richard Penniman, and how he pioneered a new form of gender-bending showmanship that was later adopted by everyone from Mick Jagger, Elton John and David Bowie to Prince and Harry Styles

His music, meanwhile, influenced generations, from The Beatles, Robert Plant and AC/DC, to Patti Smith and Michael Jackson, to Bruno Mars and Chris Cornell

Jagger is interviewed in the documentary about Richard’s influence, as is Emmy-winning actor and singer Billy Porter.

The documentary also covers Richard’s internal battle between rock and roll and religion, which led him to temporarily abandon secular music and switch to gospel in the late ’50s, and become ordained as a minister in 1970.

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

On This Day – February 23, 2000 – Santana’s ‘Supernatural’ Sweeps the Grammys

On This Day – February 23, 2000 – Santana’s ‘Supernatural’ Sweeps the Grammys
On This Day – February 23, 2000 – Santana’s ‘Supernatural’ Sweeps the Grammys

On this Day, February 23, 2000…

Santana’s album Supernatural won nine Grammys, breaking the record held by Michael Jackson’s Thriller for most Grammys won by a single album in one night. Among the wins was Album of the Year, making Carlos Santana the first Hispanic artist to win that award. 

Supernatrual was a huge hit for Santana, landing at number one in eleven countries. It spent 12 non-consecutive weeks at number one in the U.S., and went on to be certified 15-times Platinum by the Recording Industry of America.

The album’s biggest hit was the song “Smooth,” featuring Matchbox Twenty’s Rob Thomas, which topped the Billboard Hot 100 for 12 weeks. On Grammy night the song won Record of the Year, Song of the Year, and Best Pop Collaboration with Vocals.

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

The National releases “New Order T-Shirt” song & actual New Order t-shirt

The National releases “New Order T-Shirt” song & actual New Order t-shirt
The National releases “New Order T-Shirt” song & actual New Order t-shirt
4AD

The National has premiered a new song called “New Order T-Shirt,” a track off the band’s upcoming album, First Two Pages of Frankenstein.

“To me the line ‘I keep what I can of you’ means something about everyone I’ve ever known or loved,” says  guitarist Aaron Dessner. “There’s a simplicity to ‘New Order T-Shirt’ that reminds me of our earlier records, but with the full maturity and experience we have now. It feels like a really important song for the future of our band.”

Along with “New Order T-Shirt,” The National is releasing an actual New Order t-shirt, inspired by the “Blue Monday” outfit’s album artwork. Both groups will be donating a portion of the proceeds from the shirt to charity.

You can order yours now via The National’s website, AmericanMary.com.

First Two Pages of Frankenstein will be released April 28. It includes collaborations with Taylor Swift, Phoebe Bridgers and Sufjan Stevens, along with the previously released single “Tropic Morning News.”

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Paris Hilton reveals name of baby boy…and future baby girl

Paris Hilton reveals name of baby boy…and future baby girl
Paris Hilton reveals name of baby boy…and future baby girl
Axelle/Bauer-Griffin/FilmMagic

After welcoming a baby boy with husband Carter Reum, Paris Hilton is revealing his name.

“My beautiful baby boy’s name is Phoenix Barron Hilton Reum,” the former reality star revealed in an Instagram post of her reading an excerpt from her upcoming memoir, Paris, on Wednesday. “And Carter and I are so proud to welcome him into the world.”

“Phoenix has a few good pop culture reference points, but more importantly it’s the bird that flames out and then rises from the ashes to fly again,” she shared. “I want my son to grow up knowing that disaster and triumph go around and come around throughout our lives. And that this should give us great hope for the future.”

The excerpt also revealed the name Hilton has on deck for her future daughter — London.

In the caption of the post, Hilton directed fans to her podcast This Is Paris, where she shared additional details about the name, including how Pheonix’s middle name was in honor of her late grandfather, Barron Hilton.

“He was always my mentor, and I looked up to my grandfather so much, and we were so close, and I miss him every day, so I really wanted to honor him by having his name in my first son’s name,” she said.

It was announced that Hilton and Reum, who wed in November 2021, welcomed a child about a month ago.

“You are already loved beyond words,” the new mom captioned the Jan. 24 snapshot of her holding the newborn’s hand.

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Barbra Streisand to receive the Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg Woman of Leadership Award

Barbra Streisand to receive the Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg Woman of Leadership Award
Barbra Streisand to receive the Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg Woman of Leadership Award
John Parra/WireImage

Barbra Streisand has been chosen as this year’s recipient of the Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg Woman of Leadership Award, according to The Washington Post. The superstar will receive the honor April 22 at a ceremony held at the Library of Congress in Washington, DC.

The award, which Ginsberg established with her friend, philanthropist Julie Opperman, 18 months before her death, honors “women who strove to change society in positive ways.”

“She wanted to honor women of great passion and achievement,” Opperman tells the paper. “She wanted it to be women in the RBG tradition. I’m pleased to say Barbra Streisand was among them.”

“Women everywhere have benefited from the brilliance and courage of the Hon. Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg,” Streisand said in a statement to the paper. “She is an inspiration to us all. She devoted her life to advancing equality and justice, and the world is a better place for it.” She added, “I am so deeply honored to receive an award in the name of such an extraordinary woman, American hero and an icon to the world.”

Previous winners of the Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg Woman of Leadership Award include arts patron Agnes Gund, fashion designer Diane von Furstenberg and Queen Elizabeth II.

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.