‘The Mandalorian’ returns for season 3

‘The Mandalorian’ returns for season 3
‘The Mandalorian’ returns for season 3

Disney+ debuted the first episode of The Mandalorian‘s third season on Wednesday.

The series concluded its second season with the surprise reappearance of Luke Skywalker, in his prime, around five years after the events of Star Wars: Episode VI: Return of the Jedi.

After rescuing Pedro Pascal‘s Din Djarin, Ming-Na‘s Fennec Shand, Gina Carano‘s Cara Dune and Katee Sackhoff‘s Bo Katan from a squad of impossibly powerful Dark Troopers on villainous Moff Gideon’s (Giancarlo Esposito‘s) ship, Luke leaves with the little one who called him there through the Force: Grogu.

However, chapters 5 and 6 of the Book of Boba Fett also play directly into The Mandalorian‘s third season: Din is cast away from his beskar-wearing bretheren by Emily Swallow‘s character, The Armorer, for the sin of removing his helmet in the presence of others; he’s tasked with redeeming himself by returning to the Imperial-sacked home planet of Mandalore.

Din won’t be alone: Luke later gives Grogu the option of either completing his training as a Jedi or returning to his armored guardian, and the little one decides to go with Din.

Meanwhile, Bo Katan seeks to bring Mandalore back to its former glory, but she can’t do that without the fearsome Darksaber, a weapon Mando took from Gideon — and which she can only reclaim by besting Din in combat.

Officially, Lucasfilm says, “The journeys of the Mandalorian through the Star Wars galaxy continue. Once a lone bounty hunter, Din Djarin has reunited with Grogu. Meanwhile, the New Republic struggles to lead the galaxy away from its dark history. The Mandalorian will cross paths with old allies and make new enemies as he and Grogu continue their journey together.”

Lucasfilm is owned by Disney, the parent company of ABC News.

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Norfolk Southern CEO to testify before Senate committee next week: Source

Norfolk Southern CEO to testify before Senate committee next week: Source
Norfolk Southern CEO to testify before Senate committee next week: Source
Nick Hagen/Anadolu Agency via Getty Images

(NEW YORK) — The CEO of Norfolk Southern, the rail company responsible for the East Palestine, Ohio, train derailment, has agreed to appear before a Senate committee next week, according to a source familiar with the situation.

Alan Shaw will appear before the Senate’s Environment and Public Works Committee during a March 9 hearing.

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer called for Shaw to appear for a hearing during floor remarks on Monday.

“The American people should hear from Norfolk Southern CEO precisely why they thought it was a good idea to spend years lobbying to loosen regulations designed to prevent accidents like this,” Schumer said. “And I especially want to hear why Norfolk Southern, after seeing a record $3.3 billion in profits last year, prioritized billions in stock buybacks instead of putting that money towards safety and towards their workers.”

The hearing has not yet been formally noticed by the committee, but other witnesses are expected.

The freight train carrying hazardous materials derailed on Feb. 3 near East Palestine, sending toxic chemicals into the air, soil and creeks in the area. The derailment has caused concerns for residents as well as increased scrutiny of railway regulations and calls for reform.

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Taylor Swift “Little Golden Book” for kids, due in May, is already an Amazon best-seller

Taylor Swift “Little Golden Book” for kids, due in May, is already an Amazon best-seller
Taylor Swift “Little Golden Book” for kids, due in May, is already an Amazon best-seller
Penguin Random House

Taylor Swift‘s fans already span generations, but just in case they weren’t starting early enough a new children’s book devoted to her is set for publication this spring.

Taylor Swift: A Little Golden Book Biography is part of a series that’s designed to introduce preschoolers to famous people, including entertainers and historical figures. It’s due out May 2 but it’s already number one on Amazon’s Best Sellers in Children’s Popular Music tally, and number three on the Best Sellers in Children’s Women Biographies, behind icons Betty White and Dolly Parton.

An excerpt from the Taylor book reads, “One of Taylor’s biggest strengths is storytelling — her songs tell stories that many people can relate to…Listening to a Taylor Swift album is like hearing her diary being sung out loud!”

The book’s description says it’s an “inspiring read-aloud for young children as well as their Swiftie parents!

Other celebrities who are the subjects of Little Golden Books include Oprah Winfrey, The Beatles, Bruce Springsteen, President Ronald Reagan, Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson and the U.K.’s King Charles III.

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

More flooding rain in LA as South braces for tornadoes

More flooding rain in LA as South braces for tornadoes
More flooding rain in LA as South braces for tornadoes
ABC News

(NEW YORK) — More heavy, flooding rain is slamming hard-hit Southern California as the South braces for tornadoes.

In Los Angeles, where residents are still recovering from this weekend’s massive rainfall, a new flood advisory was issued Wednesday morning. Mudslides and rockslides are possible.

Meanwhile, this Southwest storm is bringing blizzard conditions to the Sierra Nevada mountains.

In Soda Springs, California, up to 109 inches of snow fell over the last week. Nearly half of that snow fell in the last 48 hours.

Yosemite National Park is buried under 15 feet of snow and is closed indefinitely.

Even Tucson, Arizona, is under a winter weather advisory. Tucson residents could get the same amount of snow that New York City saw on Tuesday.

This storm then will move into the Heartland, bringing a major severe weather outbreak on Thursday and Friday.

First, damaging winds and isolated tornadoes are possible from Dallas to Memphis, Tennessee on Wednesday.

Then comes the major threat on Thursday when strong tornadoes are possible and winds could top 70 mph. Cities in the bull’s-eye on Thursday are Dallas, Little Rock, Arkansas and Shreveport, Louisiana, but the severe storms could extend to Mississippi and Tennessee.

This severe weather moves into the southeast and the Carolinas on Friday, with damaging winds and possible tornadoes. Cities in the path on Friday include Atlanta; Birmingham, Alabama; Charleston, South Carolina and Nashville, Tennessee.

The threat of heavy rain has also prompted flood watches in Arkansas, Missouri, Mississippi, Alabama and Tennessee.

And to the north, that same storm system will drop heavy snow and ice on the Midwest and New England on Friday.

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Eli Lilly cuts insulin prices up to 70% amid pressure to slash costs

Eli Lilly cuts insulin prices up to 70% amid pressure to slash costs
Eli Lilly cuts insulin prices up to 70% amid pressure to slash costs
Caíque de Abreu/Getty Images

(NEW YORK) — Eli Lilly will cut the price of its most commonly prescribed insulin products by 70% and expand a program that caps patient costs at $35 per month, the company said on Wednesday.

“While the current healthcare system provides access to insulin for most people with diabetes, it still does not provide affordable insulin for everyone and that needs to change,” David Ricks, chair and CEO of Eli Lilly, said in a statement.

“The aggressive price cuts we’re announcing today should make a real difference for Americans with diabetes,” he added.

The Indianapolis-based drugmaker faced a bipartisan pressure campaign from members of Congress, which included a two-year Senate probe of insulin prices that concluded in 2021.

The Inflation Reduction Act, enacted in August, set a $35 price cap on insulin products for Medicare recipients.

During his State of the Union Address last month, President Joe Biden called on Congress to extend the $35 price cap on insulin products for all patients.

The price of Humalog, Eli Lilly’s most frequently prescribed insulin drug, will drop 70% beginning at the end of this year, the company said. The discount affects a slew of Humalog products, including Humalog U-100, Humalog Mix 50/50 and Humalog Mix 75/25.

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Hoda Kotb’s ‘Today’ absence said to be due to a “family health matter”

Hoda Kotb’s ‘Today’ absence said to be due to a “family health matter”
Hoda Kotb’s ‘Today’ absence said to be due to a “family health matter”
NBC/Nathan Congleton

On Today Wednesday morning, the show addressed the absence of Hoda Kotb, who has been missing on both the morning show and Today with Hoda and Jenna since Feb. 17.

Co-anchor Craig Melvin explained, “a lot of of you have been wondering how she’s doing. We can tell you that Hoda’s okay, she’s got a family health matter that she’s been dealing with.”

Earlier this week, their colleague Savannah Guthrie left the show early after a positive COVID-19 test.

“We look forward to seeing Hoda and Savannah back on the desk very, very soon” Melvin continued, adding they wished the latter “a speedy recovery.”

“Yeah, we love you both,” Al Roker replied, leading his co-anchors in blowing kisses to the camera.

Kotb has not mentioned her situation on the air, on social media or on her podcast, Making Spice, the latter of which hasn’t posted a new installment since February 20.

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Halsey makes Paris Fashion Week debut: “It was terrifying and amazing”

Halsey makes Paris Fashion Week debut: “It was terrifying and amazing”
Halsey makes Paris Fashion Week debut: “It was terrifying and amazing”
Foc Kan/WireImage

Halsey just accomplished a first — walking the runway during Paris Fashion Week — and they’re dishing on their experience. 

Taking to Instagram on Tuesday, the 28-year-old singer shared some snapshots taken from their time walking in the runway show for the gender-fluid, “elegant and casual” brand Pressiat

“I walked PFW for the first time today with @pressiat_ and it was terrifying and amazing,” Halsey captioned the post. “Thank you Vincent [Pressiat] for having me, and congratulations to you and team on such a stunning collection and iconic show!” 

The photos, taken by Sam Dameshek, show Halsey in a sheer black animal-print floor-length cut-out gown with a scarf hood. There’s also a behind-the-scenes clip of the “Without You” singer touching up their dramatic makeup look. 

Halsey’s post was flooded with positive comments, including one from the clothing brand’s page, which read, “Thank you so much for being so iconic and for being so kind [red heart emoji] Love.”

Other celebrities, including Julia Fox and Gigi Gorgeous, also showed love for the Instagram post.

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

In Brief: ‘Matlock’ reboot nabs ‘She-Hulk’ vet; ‘Billions’ star back, and more

In Brief: ‘Matlock’ reboot nabs ‘She-Hulk’ vet; ‘Billions’ star back, and more
In Brief: ‘Matlock’ reboot nabs ‘She-Hulk’ vet; ‘Billions’ star back, and more

Deadline reports She Hulk: Attorney at Law executive producer and director Kat Coiro will direct and produce the pilot episode of a reboot of Matlock starring Kathy Bates in the title role. Oscar, Emmy, and Golden Globe winner Bates is executive-producing the reworking of the original show, which starred the late Andy Griffith and ran for nine seasons altogether from 1986-1992, six on NBC and a final three on ABC…

Showtime announced on Tuesday that Damian Lewis is returning to Billions for season seven. The actor, who left at the end of the show’s fifth season, will reprise his role as Bobby Axelrod in six of the new season’s 12 episodes. Bobby was last seen going on the run from legal troubles and settling in Europe. Showtime reveals that in season seven, “Alliances are turned on their heads. Old wounds are weaponized. Loyalties are tested. Betrayal takes on epic proportions. Enemies become wary friends. And Bobby Axelrod returns, as the stakes grow from Wall Street to the world.” Billions — which also stars Paul Giamatti, Corey Stoll and Maggie Siff — returns later this year…

The Office alum Jenna Fischer is joining the cast of Tina Fey‘s upcoming Mean Girls film, based on her hit Broadway musical, set for Paramount+, according to Deadline. Fischer will play Cady Heron’s mother, originally portrayed by Ana Gasteyer in the 2004 movie. Fischer joins previously announced castmembers Angourie Rice, Reneé Rapp, Auli’i Cravalho, Jaquel Spivey, Fey, Tim Meadows, Avantika, Christopher Briney and Bebe Wood. The first Mean Girls film grossed over $130 million worldwide…

Variety reports Heroes and NOS4A2 alum Zachary Quinto, who also played Spock in J.J. AbramsStar Trek film trilogy, has been tapped for a starring role in the NBC drama pilot Wolf, inspired by the books The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and An Anthropologist on Mars by the late Oliver Sacks. Wolf, per the network, will follow “a revolutionary, larger-than-life neurologist — played by Quinto — and his team of interns as they explore the last great frontier, the human mind, while also grappling with their own relationships and mental health”…

Diane Keaton, Kathy Bates and Alfre Woodard are set to star in the upcoming feature comedy Summer Camp, according to Deadline. The movie follows three childhood friends who spent their childhood summers together at sleepaway camp. After drifting apart they attend a camp reunion, where they’re reminded of how much they need each other. The film is set to begin shooting in April…

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

At least 36 dead, dozens more injured in Greek train derailment

At least 36 dead, dozens more injured in Greek train derailment
At least 36 dead, dozens more injured in Greek train derailment
SAKIS MITROLIDIS/AFP via Getty Images

(NEW YORK) — At least 36 people were killed and more than 80 others injured in a head-on collision between a freight train and a passenger train in northern Greece late Tuesday, officials said.

The crash occurred shortly before midnight in the town of Tempi along the Athens-Thessaloniki route at the entrance to the Vale of Tempe, a tree-lined gorge that separates the Greek regions of Thessaly and Macedonia. The two trains were running toward each other on the same track and the force of the high-speed collision derailed multiple cars, with some bursting into flames, according to Greece’s Hellenic Fire Service.

About 350 people were on board the northbound passenger train, which was traveling from Athens to Thessaloniki, according to the Greek rail operator Hellenic Train.

At least 150 firefighters, including some from specialized units, and 40 ambulances responded to the scene with the assistance of 32 police officers and 15 patrol vehicles, according to the Hellenic Fire Service.

The next morning, rescuers were still searching for survivors in the smoking wreckage, using cranes to lift the derailed carriages. Their efforts were focused on the first two cars, “which have overturned and are the most difficult to extricate,” a Hellenic Fire Service spokesperson said in a statement early Wednesday.

Meanwhile, authorities have begun the process of identifying the dead, whose bodies were taken to the general hospital in the nearby city of Larissa. As for the injured, 53 remain hospitalized while the rest have been treated and released, according to the Hellenic Fire Service.

As for the injured, 66 remain hospitalized, including six in critical condition, while the rest have been treated and released, according to the Hellenic Fire Service.

On Wednesday, the Greek government declared three days of national mourning in the wake of the tragedy.

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Vanessa Bryant settles claims with LA County for nearly $29 million in helicopter crash lawsuit

Vanessa Bryant settles claims with LA County for nearly  million in helicopter crash lawsuit
Vanessa Bryant settles claims with LA County for nearly  million in helicopter crash lawsuit
Irfan Khan/Los Angeles Times via Getty Images

(LOS ANGELES) — Vanessa Bryant settled her remaining claims with Los Angeles County on Tuesday for $28,850,000 over photos that members of the sheriff’s department shared after the helicopter crash that killed her husband Kobe and daughter Gianna in January 2020, according to county attorneys.

Co-plaintiff Chris Chester, whose wife and daughter were also killed in the crash, settled for $19,950,000.

“Today marks the successful culmination of Mrs. Bryant’s courageous battle to hold accountable those who engaged in this grotesque conduct. She fought for her husband, her daughter, and all those in the community whose deceased family were treated with similar disrespect. We hope her victory at trial and this settlement will put an end to this practice,” Luis Li, Vanessa Bryant’s attorney, said in a statement.

LA County attorneys said they hoped the Bryant and Chester families would be able to heal from their loss.

“We believe the settlement approved by the Board in the Bryant case is fair and reasonable. The $28,850,000 settlement includes the verdict awarded by the federal jury in August 2022, and further resolves all outstanding issues related to pending legal claims in state court, future claims by the Bryant children, and other costs, with each party responsible for its respective attorneys’ fees,” Mira Hashmall, partner at the Miller Barondess law firm and lead trial counsel for LA County in the Bryant-Chester case, said in a statement.

Kobe Bryant and his daughter, Gianna, were headed to a basketball game at his Mamba Sports Academy in Thousand Oaks along with others connected to the basketball program on Jan. 26, 2020, when the helicopter they were traveling in crashed in Calabasas. All nine people on board were killed.

Vanessa Bryant filed a lawsuit several months after the crash against Los Angeles County, alleging that first responders took graphic photos of human remains at the scene as “souvenirs” and shared them with others. She claimed she suffered emotional distress and sued for negligence and invasion of privacy.

In August 2022, a jury awarded Vanessa Bryant $16 million in her invasion of privacy trial against Los Angeles County.

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.