Brendan Banfield double murder trial: Verdict reached for man accused of elaborate plot to get rid of his wife

Brendan Banfield double murder trial: Verdict reached for man accused of elaborate plot to get rid of his wife
Brendan Banfield double murder trial: Verdict reached for man accused of elaborate plot to get rid of his wife
Brendan Banfield testifies in his own defense on Jan. 28, 2026, during his double murder trial in Fairfax County, Virginia. (Pool/ABC News)

(FAIRFAX, Va.) — A jury has reached a verdict in the double murder trial of a Virginia man accused of killing his wife and a stranger lured to their home under false pretenses in an elaborate plot to get rid of his spouse so he could be with his au pair, with whom he was having an affair. 

Brendan Banfield, 40, is accused of stabbing his wife to death in their home in Fairfax County and fatally shooting a man he allegedly “catfished” on a fetish website. Prosecutors said he pretended to be his wife to lure the man to their home for what was believed to be a consensual fake rape scenario in order to frame that stranger for his wife’s murder.

The jury deliberated nearly nine hours over two days, starting Friday, before reaching a verdict Monday afternoon. The verdict is expected to be read in court at 5 p.m. ET Monday.

The former IRS agent was charged with aggravated murder in 2024 following a monthslong investigation into the deaths of his wife, 37-year-old nurse Christine Banfield, and the man, 39-year-old Joseph Ryan.

Prosecutors accused Brendan Banfield of plotting the murders with the family’s au pair, 25-year-old Juliana Peres Magalhaes, who was initially charged with second-degree murder in connection with the deaths. 

Ahead of the trial, Peres Magalhaes pleaded guilty to manslaughter. Under the plea agreement with prosecutors, she will receive time served for testifying against Brendan Banfield.

During closing arguments on Friday, the prosecutor made the case that the murders were premeditated.

“He was in love with Juliana. He can pretend that this was a fling and affair — he’d had them before, no big deal. He was in love with Juliana,” prosecutor Jenna Sands said. “He was afraid of losing her. He needed to get rid of his wife so that they could be together, so that they could marry, so that they could have those babies that he was picking out names for.”

Sands said there was no evidence that Christine Banfield had previously used dating or fetish websites, argued that there were signs that the crime scene had been “manipulated,” and reminded jurors that during the au pair’s testimony, Peres Magalhaes “told us how the plan was crafted and how it played out.”

The defense, meanwhile, pushed back on the catfishing theory, questioned the thoroughness of the investigation and argued that there were conclusions made based on confirmation bias. The attorney, John Carroll, claimed that prosecutors pressured Peres Magalhaes to change her story and that she “secured herself a deal that benefited her.” Carroll also said Brendan Banfield didn’t have to testify, but he did as they sought “to get the truth out there.”

“Is it reasonable, after a six- to eight-week affair, that someone is going to try to get rid of their companion of 19 years, wife of 12 years? Is that reasonable?” Carroll asked the jury. “You heard from my client: He thinks it’s absurd.”

During his testimony, Brendan Banfield called the allegations “absolutely crazy” and said his affair with Peres Magalhaes was just that and nothing more.

He said he came home on Feb. 24, 2023, after the au pair called to alert him about a stranger in the home. He said he went up to his bedroom with his gun drawn and found his wife naked with Ryan and that she called out, “Brendan, he has a knife!”

“I was extremely terrified,” Brendan Banfield told the jury. “I don’t think I’ve ever been more panicked in my life.”

He said he fired his government-issued firearm, striking Ryan in the head, after the man appeared to stab his wife. 

Prosecutors said Christine Banfield was stabbed seven times in the neck.

Peres Magalhaes testified that Brendan Banfield expressed his desire to “get rid of” his wife in October 2022, saying, “At first, I thought he was joking.”

She testified that she had helped Brendan Banfield catfish Ryan on the fetish website to lure Ryan to the home.

Peres Magalhaes told the court that Brendan Banfield told her he wanted to marry her and have children with her, and that he didn’t want to divorce his wife because “she would have more money than he would” and because he wanted custody of the couple’s daughter.

Brendan Banfield was additionally charged with using a firearm while committing or attempting to commit murder and child endangerment. The couple’s then-4-year-old daughter was in the house at the time of the killings, in the basement.

“He left her in the basement, knowing that Joe Ryan was upstairs,” Sands said during her closing argument. “He left her in the basement while he shot and killed Joe Ryan. He left her in the basement while he stabbed his wife.”

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Authorities shut down 3 illegal call centers tied to gold bar scam

Authorities shut down 3 illegal call centers tied to gold bar scam
Authorities shut down 3 illegal call centers tied to gold bar scam
John McCarthy, the state’s attorney for Montgomery County speaks during a press conference at the Montgomery County Police Department in Gaithersburg, Md., Feb. 2, 2026. (Montgomery County Police Department)

(MONTGOMERY COUNTY, Md.) — Maryland and federal authorities announced Monday that they have shut down three Indian call centers linked to a gold bar scam that stole millions of dollars from American consumers.

Authorities said the operation netted almost $50 million from more than 600 victims across the U.S. through wire transfer, cryptocurrency and gold bar schemes. 

The six alleged leaders of the scheme were also arrested, authorities said. 

An ABC News investigation previously found that as the value of gold surged, grifters posing as federal agents convinced people — mostly older Americans — to convert their life savings into gold bars. 

As part of the scheme, scammers sent “couriers” to pick up the bars in person to allegedly keep them in a secure location.

Last year, ABC News interviewed a suspected courier from jail as he faced charges in two states for his alleged involvement in the scam. He claimed he was hired by an individual in India and paid between $800 and $4,000 per job to pick up packages, some of which contained gold bars.

John McCarthy, the Maryland state attorney for Montgomery County, announced Monday that his office had indicted 10 couriers accused of collecting money from victims, and said that several of those cases have already resulted in convictions.

“They’re targeting people who have retirement money, who have pensions, who have investments, who’ve maybe sold their homes and have that money in reserve,” McCarthy said.

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Fowl! PETA criticizes Sabrina Carpenter for using bird in Grammys performance

Fowl! PETA criticizes Sabrina Carpenter for using bird in Grammys performance
Fowl! PETA criticizes Sabrina Carpenter for using bird in Grammys performance
Sabrina Carpenter performs at The 68th Annual Grammy Awards, Feb. 1, 2026 (Stewart Cook/CBS ©2026 CBS Broadcasting, Inc.)

At the end of her Grammys production number for “Manchild” on Sunday night, Sabrina Carpenter held a live bird — a white dove — in her hand, and now the folks at PETA are crying “fowl.”

In social media posts, the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals wrote, “Did @sabrinacarpenter really just bring a bird on stage in 2026?! The Manchild singer is giving childlike behavior. Leave animals out of the #GRAMMYs!”

The post explains PETA’s stance against the use of the dove by quoting the lyrics of “Manchild”: “Bringing a live bird onto the Grammys stage is stupid, slow, useless … and cruel! Bright lights, loud noise and handling cause fear and distress for a bird who belongs flying free in the open sky.”

ABC Audio has reached to Sabrina’s reps for comment. So far, the singer hasn’t responded on social media or otherwise.

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Queen’s Roger Taylor calls out ‘men of no morality’ in new song ‘Chumps’: ‘Gotta say something’

Queen’s Roger Taylor calls out ‘men of no morality’ in new song ‘Chumps’: ‘Gotta say something’
Queen’s Roger Taylor calls out ‘men of no morality’ in new song ‘Chumps’: ‘Gotta say something’
Roger Taylor of Queen + Adam Lambert performs at Little Caesars Arena on October 10, 2023 in Detroit, Michigan. (Photo by Scott Legato/Getty Images)

Queen’s Roger Taylor has something to get off his chest. The Rock & Roll Hall of Famer just dropped a new song, “Chumps,” letting fans know in the description why he did it: “Gotta say something.”

Although he offered no further info on the song, including who he may be singing about, the lyrics have him singing of “a man of no morality, of no real quality, a shallow man.”

The lyrics also call out “a man devoid of empathy, no trace of sympathy, of endless vanity,” and one with “no humanity” and “no trace of sanity.”

“We’re drowning in your self regard. We’re drowning in your lies. We drown in your pomposity, in your atrocities. We drown,” he sings. The song ends with, “You men of no morality. Your popularity, an endless mystery.”

The song drop comes just a week after Taylor posted a poem titled “Gangsters Are Running This World” on Instagram.

“Gangsters are running this world. You can shout but never be heard,” read the last lines of the poem. “Gangsters are running this world. All the while. Gangsters are running this world.”

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

‘Love Story: John F. Kennedy Jr. & Carolyn Bessette’ gets official trailer

‘Love Story: John F. Kennedy Jr. & Carolyn Bessette’ gets official trailer
‘Love Story: John F. Kennedy Jr. & Carolyn Bessette’ gets official trailer
Sarah Pidgeon as Carolyn Bessette Kennedy and Paul Kelly as John F. Kennedy Jr. in ‘Love Story: John F. Kennedy Jr. & Carolyn Bessette.’ (FX)

The trailer for Love Story: John F. Kennedy Jr. & Carolyn Bessette has arrived.

FX has released the trailer for the upcoming limited series based on the whirlwind romance between one of the 20th century’s most iconic couples.

Paul Anthony Kelly and Sarah Pidgeon star as the titular couple in this first installment of Ryan Murphy‘s new Love Story anthology series. It is based on the book Once Upon a Time: The Captivating Life of Carolyn Bessette-Kennedy by Elizabeth Beller.

“He was the closest thing to American royalty. The country watched him grow from a boy to a beloved bachelor and media sensation. She was a star in her own right. Fiercely independent and with a singular style, she rose from being a sales assistant to an executive at Calvin Klein, and became a trusted confidante of its eponymous founder,” according to the show’s official synopsis. “As their love story unfolded on a national stage, the intense fame and media attention that came along with it threatened to rip them apart.”

Also starring in the series are Grace Gummer as Caroline Kennedy, Naomi Watts as Jackie Kennedy Onassis and Alessandro Nivola as Calvin Klein.

The trailer shows off Carolyn and John’s introduction and the whirlwind romance that followed. We see a scene of John visiting Carolyn at work, as well as early dates between the couple.

“How old were you when you realized you were the son of a president?” Carolyn says.

“I don’t think anyone’s ever asked me that before,” John responds.

Love Story: John F. Kennedy Jr. & Carolyn Bessette will premiere to FX and Hulu on Feb. 12. Its first three episodes will debut at that time, while one new episode of the nine-episode series will air weekly after the premiere.

Disney is the parent company of FX Networks and Hulu. 

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

KISS’ ‘I Was Made for Lovin’ You’ hits 1 billion views on YouTube

KISS’ ‘I Was Made for Lovin’ You’ hits 1 billion views on YouTube
KISS’ ‘I Was Made for Lovin’ You’ hits 1 billion views on YouTube
Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley of KISS perform during KISS: End of the Road World Tour at Madison Square Garden on December 01, 2023 in New York City. (Photo by Kevin Mazur/Getty Images)

KISS fans apparently can’t get enough of their classic tune “I Was Made for Lovin’ You.” The video for the track has reached over 1 billion views on YouTube.

The band announced the milestone on social media, writing, “The numbers speak for themselves. This one still dominates. IWMFLY baby!!”

“I Was Made for Lovin’ You” was Paul Stanley’s first collaboration with songwriter Desmond Child and was featured on the band’s 1979 album, Dynasty. The tune, which was criticized by some for its disco influences, became KISS’ second Gold single and has been a staple at KISS’ live shows throughout their career.

In July 2024 the song reached another career milestone, hitting 1 billion streams on Spotify, to become the first KISS song to join Spotify’s Billions club.

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Kelsea Ballerini offers update on relationship with Chase Stokes

Kelsea Ballerini offers update on relationship with Chase Stokes
Kelsea Ballerini offers update on relationship with Chase Stokes
Kelsea Ballerini & Chase Stokes (Kevin Mazur/Getty Images for Netflix)

Though Kelsea Ballerini has signaled on socials that she’ll be talking less about her rekindled relationship with Outer Banks actor Chase Stokes, it was again the topic of conversation on the Grammy Red Carpet Sunday. 

“I feel like outwardly, it looked a lot more dramatic than it was,” she told ET. “And that was quite the learning lesson for us.”

“But I love him so much,” she continued. “We’ve been together for quite a while now and done a lot of life together, and he was with me getting ready today and he’ll be with me when we wrap. I love love and I believe it in it.”

Kelsea was nominated for best contemporary country album for Patterns, though Jelly Roll took home the first-time award for Beautifully Broken

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Lil Wayne to perform at Clash Royale halftime show ahead of Super Bowl

Lil Wayne to perform at Clash Royale halftime show ahead of Super Bowl
Lil Wayne to perform at Clash Royale halftime show ahead of Super Bowl
Lil Wayne performs onstage during Tha Carter VI Tour at State Farm Arena on September 29, 2025, in Atlanta, Georgia. (Photo by Julia Beverly/Getty Images)

Lil Wayne has managed to secure a headlining spot, though it’s not for the Super Bowl. He’s set to perform Friday in the virtual world of a real-time strategy mobile game called Clash Royale. He will play a rendition of his hit song “A Milli” alongside the giants, goblins and musketeers in the game.

Those interested can watch the Clash Royale Halftime Show on Friday at 9 a.m. PT from the Clash Royale app.

“Music, sports, and gaming all in one place — y’all know how much I love being at the center of the culture,” Lil Wayne says in a statement. “I’m turning the Clash Royale Arena into the most lit concert of the week.”

In other Wayne news, he recently addressed being left out of another big event, Sunday night’s Grammys. “Congrats to the nominees and winners. Wasnt included. As usual,” he wrote on X. “I gotta work harder. As usual.”

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Teddy Swims reveals which celebrity he’d trust to babysit his infant son

Teddy Swims reveals which celebrity he’d trust to babysit his infant son
Teddy Swims reveals which celebrity he’d trust to babysit his infant son
Teddy Swims and Raiche Wright attend the 2025 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony, November 8, 2025 (Disney/Cristian Lopez)

Teddy Swims has no shortage of famous pals, but he says there’s one in particular he’d trust to babysit his 8-month-old son with partner Raiche Wright.

Speaking during the Live from E!: Grammys, Teddy was asked to choose a babysitter from among three of his celebrity friends: Kelly Clarkson, Meghan Trainor and country star Thomas Rhett. For Teddy, it was an considered choice.

“Thomas has already got his hands full,” Teddy said about his “Somethin’ ‘Bout a Woman” duet partner, who has four daughters and another baby on the way. “He’s got nothing but little girls. I don’t even know if he’s ready for my little boy. He’s a girl dad. So I have to take Thomas Rhett out.”

“I would probably say Meghan Trainor,” Teddy continued, noting that she and husband Daryl Sabara just welcomed their third child, daughter Mikey Moon Trainor.

“That is the best mother in the world right there,” said Teddy. “Meghan Trainor has just got it, man. She’s such a wonderful mother and they’re just wonderful people.”

Teddy also talked about performing the song “Without You” during the MusiCares Person of the Year tribute to Mariah Carey Friday. He told the crowd after his performance, “That was definitely a little terrifying.”

“I just put my sunglasses on and held my eyes closed. [Mariah’s] so close to looking at you while you’re actually butchering her song,” Teddy told E!. “It’s the most terrifying thing I’ve ever done to this day — the greatest singer of all time, singing her song way not as good as the best ever. So it was horrifying! Horrifying.”

 

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Kid Rock to headline Turning Point USA’s halftime show

Kid Rock to headline Turning Point USA’s halftime show
Kid Rock to headline Turning Point USA’s halftime show
Kid Rock performs in concert at Intrust Bank Arena on April 18, 2025 in Wichita, Kansas. (Gary Miller/Getty Images)

Kid Rock is headlining the Turning Point USA All-American Halftime Show, the conservative organization’s counter-programming to Bad Bunny‘s Super Bowl 60 halftime performance on Sunday.

The bill also includes country artists Brantley Gilbert, Lee Brice and Gabby Barrett.

The show will air Sunday around 8 p.m. ET on Turning Point USA’s YouTube and X profile, among other platforms.

Super Bowl 60 airs Sunday at 6:30 p.m. ET on NBC and Peacock. Along with the halftime performance from Bad Bunny, who just won album of the year during Sunday’s Grammys, the game will feature an opening set by Green Day, airing at 6 p.m. ET.

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.