John Oates talks new solo single, says it’s “an honor” to be a Movember campaign spokesperson

John Oates talks new solo single, says it’s “an honor” to be a Movember campaign spokesperson
John Oates talks new solo single, says it’s “an honor” to be a Movember campaign spokesperson
Credit: Jason Lee Denton

On Friday, Hall & Oates singer John Oates released a soulful new single titled “Pushin’ a Rock” that ties in with this year’s edition of Movember, an annual campaign that focuses on raising awareness about men’s health issues.

Oates has been asked to serve as the international spokesperson for the campaign, which asks people to grow or wear a mustache for the month of November while encouraging men to address such issues as testicular cancer, prostate cancer and mental health.

John, who’s growing back a full mustache for the first time in 30 years in conjunction with the initiative, tells ABC Audio, “[I]t’s an honor to be able to try to … get the word out on men’s health issues.”

As Oates explains, “Pushin’ a Rock” is a reworked version of a song he first recorded and released several years ago, and he decided to contribute the new rendition to the Movember campaign because he felt its message aligned with that of the initiative.

“[I]t’s about overcoming struggles,” John notes. “The inspiration came from … the old myth of Sisyphus pushing a rock uphill, and when it rolls back down … sometimes you just have to either never give up or you just keep pushing … And it really seemed to dovetail and speak for what Movember was all about.”

With regard to being a Movember spokesperson, Oates admits that while he’s had a very successful career in music, “I’ve definitely had my moments and my issues, and they’re ongoing,” adding that important for people to realize that “no matter how much difficulty you have, you can overcome it if you … try your best.”

“Pushin’ a Rock” is available now via streaming services, and you can watch a companion music video at John’s official YouTube channel.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Paramore, Phoebe Bridgers, HAIM & more opening for Taylor Swift’s 2023 Eras tour

Paramore, Phoebe Bridgers, HAIM & more opening for Taylor Swift’s 2023 Eras tour
Paramore, Phoebe Bridgers, HAIM & more opening for Taylor Swift’s 2023 Eras tour
C Flanigan/WireImage

Paramore, Phoebe Bridgers and HAIM are among the artists opening up for Taylor Swift on her just-announced 2023 Eras tour.

The outing kicks off March 18 in Glendale, Arizona and will wrap up August 5 in Los Angeles. Others who will be providing support include GAYLE, beabadoobee and girl in red.

Tickets go on sale through Ticketmaster’s Verified Fan platform beginning November 15 at 10 a.m. local time. Registration is open now through Wednesday, November 9 at 11:59 p.m. ET. Tickets go on sale to the general public on November 18 at 10 a.m. ET.

For the full list of dates and all ticket info, visit TaylorSwift.com.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Migos member Takeoff shot dead in Houston

Migos member Takeoff shot dead in Houston
Migos member Takeoff shot dead in Houston
Barry Brecheisen/WireImage

Migos member Takeoff has been fatally shot in Houston, Texas. He was 28.

Houston ABC News affiliate KTRK reported that police were called to 810 Billiards & Bowling at about 2:30 a.m. local time for reports of a shooting. Police later confirmed that at least one person, described as a “Black male in his late twenties,” had been shot and killed at the scene, and two others were injured and taken to the hospital.

According to TMZ, Takeoff and fellow Migos member Quavo were playing a game of dice when an altercation broke out and someone opened fire, shooting Takeoff.

Takeoff, born Kirshnik Khari Ball, formed Migos with Quavo, his uncle, and Offset, his cousin, in 2008. Their debut album, Yung Rich Nation, was released in 2015. The group’s Grammy-nominated single, “Bad and Boujee,” was released in 2016 and hit the top of the Billboard 200 in January 2017.

Migos released three more albums, Culture, Culture II and Culture III, before Offset left the trio to release solo music. Takeoff and Quavo released an album as a duo, Only Built for Infinity Links, last month.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

U2’s Bono on his new book ‘Surrender’: “The title is where I’m headed, rather than where I’m at”

U2’s Bono on his new book ‘Surrender’: “The title is where I’m headed, rather than where I’m at”
U2’s Bono on his new book ‘Surrender’: “The title is where I’m headed, rather than where I’m at”
Penguin Random House

U2‘s Bono may have titled his new book Surrender, but he says that word is something he really doesn’t quite get…though he’s working on it.

Appearing on ABC’s Good Morning America on Tuesday, the Irish icon noted that “[‘Surrender’] is a word I haven’t yet fully grasped or fathomed, if I’m honest. I was born with my fists up, metaphorically — sometimes physically! — and putting them down is hard for me.  And I’m trying to. So the title is where I’m headed, rather than where I’m at.”

The full title of the book is Surrender: 40 Songs, One Story. In his conversation with ABC’s George Stephanopoulos, Bono described it as “a love letter” to his wife, Ali Hewson.

“Writing the book was really frightening because I was going to have to let her read it!” he laughed. “And she came back with spelling [corrections], mostly — there were a couple of sections she wanted removed.”

Bono met Ali and the other three members of U2 during the same week at their high school in Ireland and has kept both his relationship and his band going for more than 40 years. Asked how he’s managed that feat, Bono joked, “Desperation.”

Turning serious, he then explained, “Friendship is at the heart of it, really. I mean, friendship is a lot less passionate as it looks at face value but I think it can outpace even romantic love. If you’ve got both — even better.” 

“I love my bandmates,” he added, laughing, “We don’t always love each other at the same time…but we get through it. We’re always breaking up!”

On Wednesday, Bono starts his 14-date book tour, described as “an evening of words, music and some mischief,” in New York City.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Report: Migos member Takeoff shot dead in Houston

Report: Migos member Takeoff shot dead in Houston
Report: Migos member Takeoff shot dead in Houston
Barry Brecheisen/WireImage

There are reports that Migos member Takeoff has been fatally shot in Houston, Texas. He was 28.

Houston ABC News affiliate KTRK reports police were called to 810 Billiards & Bowling at about 2:30 a.m. local time for reports of a shooting. Police later confirmed that at least one person, described as a “Black male in his late twenties,” had been shot and killed at the scene, and two others injured and taken to the hospital. Police would not reveal the identities of the victims but did confirm that Migos members Takeoff and Quavo were present at the scene.

According to TMZ, Takeoff and Quavo were playing a game of dice when an altercation broke out and someone opened fire, shooting Takeoff.

ABC News is working to confirm the identities of the victims.

(Story developing.)

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Taylor Swift announces Eras tour: “It’s a journey through all of my musical eras of my career”

Taylor Swift announces Eras tour: “It’s a journey through all of my musical eras of my career”
Taylor Swift announces Eras tour: “It’s a journey through all of my musical eras of my career”
Beth Garrabrant/TAS Rights Management

Taylor Swift is going back on tour.

In a special announcement first shared on Good Morning America, the Midnights singer said she will be embarking on tour again with music from all her “musical eras of my career.”

“Good morning, America, it’s Taylor,” Taylor said. “I wanted to tell you something that I’ve been so excited about for a really long time and I’ve been planning for ages, and I finally get to tell you I’m going back on tour. The tour is called the Eras tour, and it’s a journey through all of my musical eras of my career.”

This is the eleven-time Grammy winner’s first tour since her 2018 Reputation Tour and Swift will be supported by Paramore, beabadoobee, Phoebe Bridgers, girl in red, MUNA, HAIM, GAYLE, Gracie Abrams, and OWENN.

The tour, which will visit stadiums across the U.S., will start March 18 in Glendale, AZ, and wrap up with two shows at L.A.’s SoFi Stadium on August 4 and 5. In between, Taylor will visit Detroit’s Ford Field, Chicago’s Soldier Field, Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, MA and MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ, among other major venues. International dates will be announced later. 

Taylor has partnered with Ticketmaster’s Verified Fan program; fans can register for presale tickets now through Wednesday, November 9 at 11:59 pm E.T. Once registered, fans receive a code, which gives them the opportunity to purchase tickets on Tuesday, November 15, starting at 10 a.m. local venue time.

Those tickets will start at $49 and go up to $449. VIP packages range from $199 to $899, on a first-come, first- served basis.

Fans who’d already been verified from Taylor’s canceled 2020 Lover Fest tour will receive preferred access to participate in the Taylor Swift Tix Presale, once registered with the same Ticketmaster Account as the previous purchase.

All other public ticket sales begin Friday, November 18 at 10 a.m. local venue time.

The announcement of Taylor’s Eras tour comes nearly two weeks after she released her record-breaking new album, Midnights, which sold over a million copies in just the first three days of sales.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Arrivederci! Thomas Rhett, wife Lauren celebrate wedding anniversary in Italy

Arrivederci! Thomas Rhett, wife Lauren celebrate wedding anniversary in Italy
Arrivederci! Thomas Rhett, wife Lauren celebrate wedding anniversary in Italy
ABC/Connie Chornuk

Salute! 

Thomas Rhett and his wife, Lauren, are back from their Italian getaway, and they’re sharing photos of the experience. 

To celebrate their 10th wedding anniversary, the couple jetted off to Italy. Among the photos Thomas shared is Lauren on sun-soaked terrace, looking puzzled as a group of cats dine on the leftovers off her husband’s plate. 

“Sat my plate on the ground and a boat load of cats came out of the ivy on the balcony…,” Thomas explains in the caption. 

He also posted a photo of the couple beaming at the camera as they glide across the water on a boat with a gorgeous sunset in the background. 

“Till next time Italy. Love you so much @laur_akins,” he writes. 

The couple wed on October 12, 2012, in Nashville. They share four daughters — 6-year-old Willa, 5-year-old Ada, 2-year-old Lennon and Lillie, who celebrates her first birthday on November 15. 

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

U2’s Bono to make GMA appearance Tuesday as his memoir, ‘Surrender,’ gets its release

U2’s Bono to make GMA appearance Tuesday as his memoir, ‘Surrender,’ gets its release
U2’s Bono to make GMA appearance Tuesday as his memoir, ‘Surrender,’ gets its release
Penguin Random House

Bono‘s memoir, Surrender: 40 Songs, One Story, gets released on Tuesday, November 1, and to celebrate its arrival, the U2 frontman will make an appearance on ABC’s Good Morning America, which airs starting at 7 a.m. ET.

As previously reported, Surrender follows Irish rocker, born Paul Hewson, from his childhood in Dublin to the loss of his mother when he was 14, to the founding of U2 and their rise to global stardom. It also covers Bono’s activism, including his work to fight AIDS and extreme poverty.

The book’s subtitle refers to the fact that as each of its 40 chapters is named after a U2 song. Bono also contributed 40 original drawing to the publication.

To promote Surrender, Bono has lined up a 14-date book tour dubbed Stories of Surrender beginning Wednesday, November 2, in New York City. The trek, which is completely sold out, features stops in seven North American cities followed by stops in seven European cities. It runs through a November 28 event in Madrid.

The tour is described as “an evening of words, music and some mischief,” which means Bono won’t only be talking about his life, he’ll be singing about it too.

In other news, Bono also marked the impending arrival of his book with a humorous animated video posted Monday on U2’s YouTube channel and set during this year’s edition of the Halloween Parade in New York City’s Soho section.

The clip, which Bono narrates, features the singer excitedly watching as copies of Surrender are put on display in the window of a local bookstore. As the cartoon progresses, Bono is approached by people dressed as Elvis Presley, Bruce Springsteen and Lady Gaga, who are revealed to be his three bandmates — Larry Mullen Jr., The Edge and Adam Clayton.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Richard Marx on fans loving his new music: “That’s the greatest reward for a songwriter”

Richard Marx on fans loving his new music: “That’s the greatest reward for a songwriter”
Richard Marx on fans loving his new music: “That’s the greatest reward for a songwriter”
Nick Spanos/Shelter Records

Richard Marx is on tour in support of his latest album, Songwriter, featuring 20 tracks in four genres: rock, pop, ballads and country. The chart-topping artist is surprised at just how well some of his new songs — specifically the single “Same Heartbreak Different Day” — have been going over with his fans.

“What I’ve noticed is the response to that song is so extended and powerful, where the audience is cheering as if I just did ‘Endless Summer Nights’ or ‘Right Here Waiting,'” Richard tells ABC Audio. “And I finally started to comment on it to them. [I said], ‘For me to play a song that I know you don’t know, and for you to cheer it like that … that’s exactly why I keep writing songs.'”

“That’s like the greatest reward for a songwriter: to play somebody a new song and have them freak out over it,” he adds. 

Richard says there’s another aspect of Songwriter that fans are really enjoying. 

“A lot of people [are] really happy that I did five rock songs because I hadn’t done sort of guitar-heavy rock in quite a while. And that’s really where I started,” he notes. 

One of those rock songs, “One More Yesterday,” was written a while ago with Chris Daughtry and Lifehouse‘s Jason Wade, but it was never recorded.

Meanwhile, Richard, an active Twitter user, has been retweeting negative content about Twitter’s new owner, Elon Musk, recently. But is he planning to quit the platform, as others have done? He says no, although he thinks Musk is “really dangerous,” “an emotionally unstable, inherently bad guy” and an “evil genius.”

“I think to myself, ‘How could Twitter become more of a cesspool?'” he notes. “Well, maybe the answer is Elon Musk.”

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Charlie Puth shares the one compliment from fans that means the most to him

Charlie Puth shares the one compliment from fans that means the most to him
Charlie Puth shares the one compliment from fans that means the most to him
Atlantic Records

At this point in his career, Charlie Puth has probably heard, “OMG I’m such a huge fan!” a million times. But he says there’s one specific thing that he considers the ultimate compliment — and he never gets tired of hearing it from his fans.

Speaking to E!, Charlie says his favorite thing to hear is “when a fan tells me that they started making music because of something that I did.”  He explains, “I want to really drive the narrative home that you can live your life and experience things like I did while making this album, and apply them towards art and make a melody out of it.” 

Charlie, who’s currently on tour in support of his album Charlie, also reveals that after a show, you won’t find him partying like the proverbial rock star.

“I know that sounds kind of boring, but I like to close my eyes and just think about what the future holds for me musically and in my life,” he says of his after-show activities. “Sometimes, I write songs in my head when that happens too.” 

The singer’s brief One Night Only tour wraps up November 9 in Los Angeles.  He tells E!, “I’m looking forward to getting back on the road next year and connecting with fans on an even bigger scale.”

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.