George Lopez explains the real-life experience inspiring his children’s book, ‘ChupaCarter and the Haunted Piñata’

George Lopez explains the real-life experience inspiring his children’s book, ‘ChupaCarter and the Haunted Piñata’
George Lopez explains the real-life experience inspiring his children’s book, ‘ChupaCarter and the Haunted Piñata’
ABC Audio

George Lopez has had a successful career as a stand-up, a sitcom star and in movies, but his career as a bestselling children’s book author hits particularly close to home.

He’s just released his second book in a series, ChupaCarter and the Haunted Piñata, and believe it or not, he tells ABC Audio it’s based on a pretty paranormal experience he had — not to mention his childhood, which seems like it would have fit right in with the kids from Stranger Things.

George explains his grandfather was strict, so he couldn’t play outside all day. That forced him to make the most of his time and his imagination — like his main character, Jorge, who happens to befriend a chupacabra named Carter.

“The idea that you could almost replenish your past with color and with great stories and with great kids and, and all of that is derived from [my childhood],” Lopez says.

“We did everything but going to the cemetery, really. Everything was in play except the cemetery,” he adds with a smile.

As for that haunted piñata? It goes back to a skull-shaped balloon at a Day of the Dead party thrown some years ago by his sitcom mom, Belita Moreno. “Before we left, we said, ‘Hey, let’s everybody get a picture.’ So there’s like a balloon behind [us] … looking [the opposite] way,” George recalls.

“So we all put our arms around each other. And when we look at the picture, the face was between our shoulders looking at the camera. And I was like, ‘There’s no way that that balloon would have turned that fast.'”

He adds, still a little haunted, “I’ve seen a lot of things that people think I’m crazy for, but that, that moment, it never left me.”

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Schwarzenegger, Gal Gadot and others help Netflix announce its annual TUDUM event will be live from Brazil

Schwarzenegger, Gal Gadot and others help Netflix announce its annual TUDUM event will be live from Brazil
Schwarzenegger, Gal Gadot and others help Netflix announce its annual TUDUM event will be live from Brazil
Netflix

TUDUM, Netflix’s annual fan event named after its boot-up sound, is going live this year. Showing off the streaming service’s global reach, a host of stars appeared in a sizzle reel Thursday to announce this year’s festivities will be held in Brazil.

Specifically, the livestreaming event will be broadcast from Ibirapuera Park (Parque do Ibirapuera) in São Paulo.

Among the celebs making an appearance are Extraction 2‘s Chris Hemsworth, Heart of Stone‘s Gal Gadot, FUBAR and Arnold lead Arnold Schwarzenegger, and Ralph Macchio and William Zabka from Cobra Kai.

TUDUM kicks off June 17 at 4:30 p.m. ET. Even if you’re not in Brazil that day, fans can get in on the fun at YouTube.com/Netflix to check out “exclusive news and debut never-before-seen footage, trailers and first looks at your favorite shows, movies and games.”

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

‘The Bachelorette’ season 20 cast revealed: Meet Charity’s suitors

‘The Bachelorette’ season 20 cast revealed: Meet Charity’s suitors
‘The Bachelorette’ season 20 cast revealed: Meet Charity’s suitors
ABC

The group of 25 men who will compete for Charity Lawson‘s heart on The Bachelorette season 20 has been revealed.

Lawson, a 27-year-old child and family therapist from Columbus, Georgia, will meet a group that includes a professional wrestler, a tennis pro, a world record jumper, an underwater welder, a yacht captain and a biomedical scientist.

Charity, who first appeared on Zach Shallcross‘ season of The Bachelor earlier this year, was announced as the franchise’s next Bachelorette during the Women Tell All episode. Lawson said in a statement that she hopes to find “a life partner who loves dogs, thrifting and a good tailgate; but, above all else, is honest, empathetic and values her for who she is.”

Lawson’s season of The Bachelorette premieres Monday, June 26, at 9 p.m. ET on ABC.

Meet the 25 men who will vie for Charity’s heart:

Aaron B., 29, a software salesman from San Diego, Calif.
Aaron S., 33, a firefighter from San Diego, Calif.
Adrian, 33, a realtor from Northridge, Calif.
Brayden, 24, a travel nurse from San Diego, Calif.
Caleb A., 29, a resident physician from Ann Arbor, Mich.
Caleb B., 24, a pro wrestler from Orlando, Fla.
Christopher “Chris,” 27, a world record jumper from White Plains, N.Y.
Dotun, 30, an integrative medicine specialist from Brooklyn, N.Y.
James, 28, an attorney from Chicago, Ill.
Joe, 32, a tech operations director from San Francisco, Calif.
Joseph “Joey,” 27, a tennis pro from Lawai, Hawaii.
John., 27, a data scientist from New York, N.Y.
John Henry, 30, an underwater welder from Virginia Beach, Va.
Josh, 28, a Harvard grad student from Bethlehem, Pa.
Kaleb K., 26, construction salesman from Norcross, Ga.
Ahmad Khalid “Khalid,” 28, a tech recruiter from Dearborn, Mich.
Michael, 28, a yacht captain from Chicago, Ill.
Nicholas “Nick,” 32, an HR executive from Bayonne, N.J.
Peter, 33, an airline pilot from New York, N.Y.
Sean, 25, a software sales representative from Tampa, Fla.
Spencer, 32, a medical sales director from Moorpark, Calif.
Tanner, 30, a mortgage lender from Pittsburgh, Pa.
Taylor, 32, a loan officer from Springboro, Ohio
Warwick, 27, a construction manager from Nashville, Tenn.
Xavier, 27, a biomedical scientist from Carrboro, N.C.

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Brendan Fraser, Zazie Beetz and Chance the Rapper among this year’s Tribeca Festival jury

Brendan Fraser, Zazie Beetz and Chance the Rapper among this year’s Tribeca Festival jury
Brendan Fraser, Zazie Beetz and Chance the Rapper among this year’s Tribeca Festival jury
Tribeca Festival

The Tribeca Festival has announced the jurors who will be selecting the winners in 15 categories for this year’s 22nd annual event. Among them will be Oscar-winning The Whale lead Brendan Fraser, Academy Award-nominated Everything Everywhere All At Once actress Stephanie Hsu, and Atlanta vet and Creed franchise star Zazie Beetz.

Other members include Chance the Rapper, Glee alumna Dianna Agron, Yellowstone‘s Piper Perabo, filmmaker and actor Mark Duplass, The Vampire Diaries Nina Dobrev and The Recruit‘s Noah Centineo.

Founded by Robert De Niro and Jane Rosenthal, the 22nd annual Tribeca Festival kicks off Wednesday, June 7, and runs through Sunday, June 18, in New York City.

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

‘Anchorman’ and ‘Step Brothers’ director Adam McKay dives deep into Hollywood with ‘Death on the Lot’ podcast

‘Anchorman’ and ‘Step Brothers’ director Adam McKay dives deep into Hollywood with ‘Death on the Lot’ podcast
‘Anchorman’ and ‘Step Brothers’ director Adam McKay dives deep into Hollywood with ‘Death on the Lot’ podcast
Hyperobject Industries and Sony Music Entertainment

Adam McKay is best known for comedies like the Anchorman movies, Talladega Nights and Step Brothers, but the Oscar-winning screenwriter behind the acclaimed financial drama The Big Short has taken a turn into the podcast medium with one called Death on the Lot.

The series, which launched its first free episode June 1, takes a look back at Hollywood’s history, and looks into the untimely deaths of superstars like George Reeves and James Dean.

The ‘cast features celebrity guests including actor-turned-Oscar-winning director Ron Howard, James Cromwell and Chuck D, and tracks Tinseltown through its formative postwar years, through the Red Scare of the Cold War, the Civil Rights Movement and the crack epidemic of the 1980s.

Its producers tease, “The rules of the road for the next seventy years were being written in real-time, and not everyone would make it out alive. This is the story of how Hollywood sold us on a new American Dream, and left a few unlucky stars holding the bag.”

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

“Go, Al!” 79-year-old new dad Robert De Niro reacts to 83-year-old Al Pacino’s baby news

“Go, Al!” 79-year-old new dad Robert De Niro reacts to 83-year-old Al Pacino’s baby news
“Go, Al!” 79-year-old new dad Robert De Niro reacts to 83-year-old Al Pacino’s baby news
Roy Rochlin/Getty Images for Tribeca Festival

Robert De Niro made headlines in May when it was revealed the 79-year-old actor had become a dad for a seventh time — only for fans to find out weeks later that his fellow Godfather saga star, Al Pacino, is expecting at 83.

“What a guy,” De Niro told People on Wednesday while promoting his upcoming Tribeca Festival. “Go Al, God bless him,” he added.

As confirmed by ABC Audio, Pacino is expecting his fourth child, his first with his 29-year-old girlfriend, Noor Alfallah.

Incidentally, ABC Audio was slated to speak with De Niro Wednesday, as well, only for the icon to pull out at the last minute — with a staffer explaining he had to feed Gia, his new baby with girlfriend Tiffany Chen.

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Tallulah Willis opens up about Borderline Personality Disorder diagnosis and dad Bruce Willis

Tallulah Willis opens up about Borderline Personality Disorder diagnosis and dad Bruce Willis
Tallulah Willis opens up about Borderline Personality Disorder diagnosis and dad Bruce Willis
Gregg DeGuire/WireImage

Tallulah Willis is opening up about her health and life with her father, Bruce Willis.

In a moving essay she wrote for Vogue, the actress, 29, revealed that she was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder last June.

The National Institute of Mental Health says that the mental illness, “severely impacts a person’s ability to manage their emotions” and can, “affect how a person feels about themselves, and negatively impact their relationship with others.”

Willis, who said she was diagnosed with ADHD when she was 15, said that the BPD diagnosis came while she was at Driftwood Recovery, a rehabilitation center in Texas.

In her essay, Willis, who is the daughter of actor Bruce Willis and actress Demi Moore, said she had experienced depression since she was a pre-teen, triggered by reading comments online that criticized her looks.

“I told no one. I just lived with the silent certainty of my own ugliness,” Tallulah confesses.

The actress said it wasn’t until she was 20 when she sought psychiatric treatment and therapy. Five years later, she was admitted to a residential treatment facility in Malibu for depression.

“For the first time, I grieved the 15-year-old misfit me, the ugly duckling,” said Willis, who also added she has suffered from anorexia nervosa.

Since she was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder, the actress said, “recovery is probably lifelong, but I now have the tools to be present in all facets of my life, and especially in my relationship with my dad.”

While struggling, Tallulah said she “was too sick to handle” her father’s news about his declining health. In 2022, Bruce Willis was diagnosed with the degenerative brain condition aphasia. In February, he was diagnosed with frontotemporal dementia.

These days, Tallulah said she feels that she is able to bring her dad “an energy that is bright and sunny, no matter where I’ve been.”

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

In Brief: Trailer debuts for ‘Black Mirror’ season 6, ‘Justified’ reboot, and more

In Brief: Trailer debuts for ‘Black Mirror’ season 6, ‘Justified’ reboot, and more
In Brief: Trailer debuts for ‘Black Mirror’ season 6, ‘Justified’ reboot, and more

The sixth season of Charlie Brooker’s Black Mirror returns June 15 with five new episodes, Netflix announced on Wednesday, along with the official trailer. The season 6 cast includes Aaron Paul, Anjana Vasan, Annie Murphy, Auden Thornton, Ben Barnes, Clara Rugaard, Daniel Portman, Danny Ramirez, Himesh Patel, John Hannah, Josh Hartnett, Kate Mara, Michael Cera, Monica Dolan, Myha’la Herrold, Paapa Essiedu, Rob Delaney, Rory Culkin, Salma Hayek Pinault, Samuel Blenkin and Zazie Beetz… 

FX’s Justified: City Primeval, the limited series inspired by Elmore Leonard’s City Primeval: High Noon in Detroit, released its official trailer on Wednesday. Per FX, the new season follows Timothy Olyphant’s Raylan Givens who “left the hollers of Kentucky and is balancing life as a U.S. Marshal with being a part-time father. A chance encounter sends him to Detroit and on a collision course with a violent sociopath and a formidable defense attorney.” Aunjanue Ellis and Boyd Holbrook also star in the series, which returns July 18…

Disney has tapped Thomas Kail, the Tony Award-winning director of Broadway’s Hamilton, to helm the live-action remake of the studio’s 2016 animated musical Moana, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Dwayne Johnson, who announced the reimagining back in April, is on board to play Maui, the character he voiced in the original film. Auli’i Cravalho, who voiced the titular character, announced in a May 19 Instagram post that she would not be reprising her role in the upcoming film. Kail directed the filmed staged production of Hamilton for Disney+ in 2020, but Moana will mark his feature directorial debut. Disney is the parent company of ABC News…


Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

‘Bachelorette’ alum Andi Dorfman marries Blaine Hart in romantic Italian wedding

‘Bachelorette’ alum Andi Dorfman marries Blaine Hart in romantic Italian wedding
‘Bachelorette’ alum Andi Dorfman marries Blaine Hart in romantic Italian wedding
Bryan Bedder/New York Road Runners via Getty Images

Former Bachelorette star Andi Dorfman has given out her final rose and officially said “I do” to her fiancé Blaine Hart in a breathtaking three-day celebration in Sorrento, Italy.

Speaking with People, Dorfman couldn’t contain her happiness as she shared her feelings about marrying the love of her life.

“Getting to spend my life with Blaine and being in love with him as much as I am is something that’s like a dream come true to me,” she gushed. 

With 75 of their nearest and dearest gathered at the Conca del Sogno Beach Club, the bride and groom poured their hearts out, exchanging heartfelt handwritten vows.

In March 2022, Dorfman shared news of her engagement on Instagram, along with a sweet picture of the couple smooching on the beach.

“WORTH THE WAIT!!!!” she wrote in all caps, along with the ring emoji.

Dorfman gained notoriety after appearing on Juan Pablo Galavis‘ season of The Bachelor in 2014. She then went on to become the lead for season 10 of The Bachelorette, where she got engaged to winner Josh Murray. They announced their split in 2015.

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Los Angeles district attorney declines to charge Armie Hammer in sex assault case over lack of evidence

Los Angeles district attorney declines to charge Armie Hammer in sex assault case over lack of evidence
Los Angeles district attorney declines to charge Armie Hammer in sex assault case over lack of evidence
MEGA/GC Images

Embattled actor Armie Hammer will not face criminal charges in connection with an investigation for sexual assault in Los Angeles County, prosecutors said Wednesday.

The Los Angeles district attorney cited a lack of evidence.

In a video news conference on March 18, 2021, a woman said that in April 2017 Hammer raped her for four hours, physically assaulted her and committed other violent acts against her.

Hammer denied the accusations.

Regarding Wednesday’s decision, Tiffiny Blacknell, director of the Bureau of Communications for the Los Angeles District Attorney’s Office, noted, “Sexual assault cases are often difficult to prove, which is why we assign our most experienced prosecutors to review them. In this case, those prosecutors conducted an extremely thorough review, but determined that at this time, there is insufficient evidence to charge Mr. Hammer with a crime.”

The statement continued, “As prosecutors, we have an ethical responsibility to only charge cases that we can prove beyond a reasonable doubt. We know that it is hard for women to report sexual assault. Even when we cannot move forward with a prosecution, our victim service representatives will be available to those who seek our victim support services.”

It concluded, “Due to the complexity of the relationship and inability to prove a non-consensual, forcible sexual encounter we are unable to prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt.”

Hammer’s career was derailed in January 2021 when his ex-girlfriend Paige Lorenze released unverified DMs that allegedly came from Hammer and claimed the actor harbored fantasies involving cannibalism. In addition, the 22-year-old alleged Hammer was “obsessed” with the idea of “taking a piece of me…and consuming it.”

The accusations in this case also came to light that year.

Hammer’s attorneys have claimed all of his relationships have been consensual.

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.