Navy ship without power for 4 days in South China Sea

Navy ship without power for 4 days in South China Sea
Navy ship without power for 4 days in South China Sea
Arleigh Burke-class guided missile destroyer USS Benfold (DDG 65) conducts routine operations in the South China Sea July 23, 2026. (U.S. Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist Seaman Andrew Novak)

(WASHINGTON) — A power failure aboard a U.S. Navy destroyer operating in the South China Sea last month left the ship’s crew without potable water, hot food, working toilets or air conditioning for four days.

The outage stemmed from an engineering failure aboard the USS Benfold, an Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer, Cmdr. Matthew Comer, a 7th Fleet spokesperson, said in a statement to ABC News.

The incident adds to concerns about the strain on the Navy as it juggles the Iran war and an expanding slate of global commitments.

The Benfold, a 30-year-old ship, was sailing with the George Washington carrier strike group on July 24 when an issue with the ship’s generators caused a complete loss of power aboard the destroyer, according to Comer.

The George Washington strike group is slated to relieve the USS Abraham Lincoln in the Middle East, where the carrier and its crew have faced an extended deployment supporting the Iran war.

“There were no injuries to the crew, who demonstrated resilience, grit, professionalism, and unwavering steadiness in their response,” Comer said of the power failure on the Benfold.

It’s unclear why the incident wasn’t disclosed by the sea service at the time.

ABC News reached out to the Navy for more information about the circumstances surrounding the power outage.

The Benfold was towed by contracted tugboats to Subic Bay in the Philippines, arriving July 28, where Navy maintenance specialists met the ship to begin repairs. Sailors were provided food and moved into contracted lodging ashore beginning the following day, Comer said.

Power was restored July 30, and repairs were completed on Aug. 7; the Benfold departed Subic Bay a day later, Comer added.

It’s unclear whether the Benfold returned to its home port of Japan or continued to sail with the Washington. 

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Darren Criss, Sherry Cola join ‘Descendants’ spinoff film

Darren Criss, Sherry Cola join ‘Descendants’ spinoff film
Darren Criss, Sherry Cola join ‘Descendants’ spinoff film
A photo of Darren Criss. (Ian Johnston). | A photo of Sherry Cola. (Leslie Alejandro) | A photo of James Monroe Iglehart. (Deneka Peniston)

Several stars have joined the cast of Disney’s upcoming spinoff movie set in the Descendants franchise.

Disney Channel and Disney+ announced that Darren Criss, Sherry Cola, James Monroe Iglehart, Hugo Ateo, Sean Yves Lessard and Dan Bakkedahl have joined the cast of Hidden Heroes: A Descendants Story. The new film centers on the descendants of classic Disney sidekicks and goes into production this month.

“Hidden in the center of each fairy tale is a portal to a secret training facility where the descendants of legendary sidekicks are challenged to join the elite ranks of partners to heroes,” according to an official description. “When a villainous duo comes to Sidekick Academy, a group of fresh recruits must band together — without heroes, without parents — using only their new skills to save the fairytale realm before it’s too late.”

Criss will play Jiminy Cricket from Pinocchio, Iglehart will play Genie from Aladdin, Cola and Ateo will play Yzma and Kronk from The Emperor’s New Groove, Lessard will play Lumiere from Beauty and the Beast and Bakkedahl will play Yen Sid from The Sorcerer’s Apprentice in Fantasia.

Notably, Iglehart is returning to the role of Genie. He won a Tony Award in 2014 for originating the part in the Broadway production of Aladdin.

The film’s main cast includes Dior Goodjohn as Jennie, the daughter of Genie; Momona Tamada as Zara, the daughter of Yzma; Jacob Rodriguez as Kronk Jr., the son of Kronk; Eva Fossaceca Smedley as Meri, the daughter of Merryweather from Sleeping Beauty; and Harry Jones as Lou, the son of Lumiere.

Also part of the cast are Rhys Dawkins, Connor Wong and Kyra Wong as the Potts siblings from Beauty and the Beast. Only Murders in the Building director Jude Weng is helming the film that was written by Tamara Chestna, Eydie Faye and Emma Fletcher.

Disney is the parent company of ABC News.

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Miranda Lambert and ‘Crisco’ are helping open a new Nashville music venue

Miranda Lambert and ‘Crisco’ are helping open a new Nashville music venue
Miranda Lambert and ‘Crisco’ are helping open a new Nashville music venue
Miranda Lambert: One Night Only (Courtesy MCA/Miranda Lambert)

Miranda Lambert will be the first artist to play new Nashville music venue The Truth on Oct.1, celebrating the release of her new album, Crisco, the next day. 

She’ll add a 12-piece string section for the show, which will include a full set of her hits and songs from the new project. 

“It was magical to hear the way strings can transform a song when we were in the studio creating this record, and I can’t wait to bring that to life in an even bigger way with our full setlist,” she says. “We’ve never gotten to play that way on stage, and to have the opportunity to do it for the first time at the opening of a beautiful new venue right here in Nashville is going to be really special.”

Ticket sales for Miranda Lambert: One Night Only go on sale Friday.

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Bon Jovi marks 40 years of ‘Slippery When Wet’

Bon Jovi marks 40 years of ‘Slippery When Wet’
Bon Jovi marks 40 years of ‘Slippery When Wet’
Bon Jovi ‘Slippery When Wet’ (Island Def Jam)

Bon Jovi is marking the 40th anniversary of their breakthrough album, Slippery When Wet.

The band marked the milestone with a post on Instagram Tuesday, writing, “Slippery When Wet turns 40 years old today! We’re grateful to everyone who’s been part of this journey and kept these songs alive for 40 years.”

The post also included photos from the era, as well as clips from the music videos for the album’s hit singles “Livin’ on a Prayer” and “You Give Love a Bad Name.”

Released Aug. 18, 1986, Slippery When Wet was the New Jersey rockers’ third studio album and the follow-up to 1985’s 7800° Fahrenheit. Produced by Bruce Fairbairn, the album rocketed the band to superstardom, spending eight weeks at #1 on the Billboard Albums chart, their first #1 album.

You Give Love a Bad Name” and “Livin’ on a Prayer,” written by Jon Bon Jovi, Richie Sambora and Desmond Child, both went to #1 on the Billboard Hot 100, with a third single, “Wanted Dead or Alive,” peaking at #7.

Slippery When Wet would go on to be Billboard’s top-selling album of 1987 and has since been certified 15-times Platinum by the RIAA.


Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Posthumous Jennifer Finch memoir to be published in 2027

Posthumous Jennifer Finch memoir to be published in 2027
Posthumous Jennifer Finch memoir to be published in 2027
‘Shooting Up and Making Out: A Memoir of My Life in LA and L7’ book cover. (Da Capo)

The memoir of late L7 bassist Jennifer Finch will be published on Jan. 19, 2027.

The book, titled Shooting Up and Making Out: A Memoir of My Life in LA and L7, was completed before Finch’s death on July 18 following a diagnosis of brain cancer. She was 59.

“Jennifer’s memoir was the last major project she completed before she passed away,” says the book’s co-writer Jeff Alulis. “She and I worked together for two years to make sure she was happy with every word of it, 
and with someone as intentional and thoughtful as Jennifer that was no small task!”

Alulis adds, “I’m heartbroken that she won’t get to see it published, but I’m thrilled to share her life and legacy with the world.”

Along with the memoir announcement, Rolling Stone has published a piece featuring L7’s Donita Sparks, Hole’s Courtney Love and Melissa Auf der Maur, Rage Against the Machine’s Tom Morello, Red Hot Chili Peppers bassist Flea and The Smashing Pumpkins frontman Billy Corgan sharing their remembrances of Finch.

L7 is set to launch a farewell tour in October.

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Judge clears way for termination of Ethiopians’ Temporary Protected Status

Judge clears way for termination of Ethiopians’ Temporary Protected Status
Judge clears way for termination of Ethiopians’ Temporary Protected Status
Alexei Laushkin, Rev. Patrick Mahoney and Katie Mahoney demonstrate against the Trump administration’s plan to revoke Temporary Protected Status for the Haitian community on March 6, 2025, in Washington, D.C. (Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)

(WASHINGTON) — A federal judge in Boston has cleared the way for the Trump administration to terminate temporary protected status for Ethiopian nationals.

U.S. District Judge Brian Murphy on Tuesday lifted the administrative stay that had been blocking the termination of the TPS program.

The ruling follows other recent court orders allowing the administration to end protections for TPS holders from countries including Haiti, Somalia, Syria and Myanmar as part of the administration’s ongoing immigration crackdown.

The court rulings come after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in June that the Trump administration could terminate TPS for Haitian nationals. 

The advocacy group African Communities Together filed suit in January, arguing that Ethiopia remains in a humanitarian crisis.

“Should TPS for Ethiopia be terminated, all Plaintiffs will face impossible choices: to uproot their lives yet again in search of a pathway to safety in a third country; to remain in the United States without lawful immigration status, at risk of imminent immigration confinement and removal; or to relocate to Ethiopia, a country still suffering violent conflict,” the group said in its original complaint.

TPS status, established by the 1952 Immigration and Nationality Act, provides work authorization and protection from deportation if a foreign country is deemed by the government to be unsafe because of armed conflict, natural disaster, or “extraordinary and temporary conditions.”

In a post on X, the Department of Homeland Security said that individuals with terminated TPS should leave the U.S.

“Those with terminated TPS should leave NOW,” DHS said. “If they don’t, we will DEPORT them.”

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Pooh Shiesty earns second top-10 album with ‘All Eyes on Shiest’

Pooh Shiesty earns second top-10 album with ‘All Eyes on Shiest’
Pooh Shiesty earns second top-10 album with ‘All Eyes on Shiest’
Cover art for Pooh Shiesty’s ‘All Eyes on Shiest’ (1017 Global Music)

Pooh Shiesty’s latest album, All Eyes on Shiest, has debuted in the top 10 of the Billboard 200. 

The album earned 51,000 equivalent album units in the United States in the week ending Aug. 13, according to Luminate, giving Shiesty his second top-10 album to date, following 2021’s Shiesty Season.

All Eyes on Shiest also debuts at #6 on Top Streaming Albums, with 49,5000 of its 51,000 equivalent album units coming from streaming.

Pooh Shiesty released All Eyes on Shiest on Aug. 6 while incarcerated on charges of conspiracy to commit kidnapping and armed robbery stemming from an alleged January 2026 armed takeover at a Dallas recording studio targeting rapper Gucci Mane over a contract dispute.

According to prosecutors, Shiesty allegedly forced one of the victims to sign a release from the recording contract at gunpoint, The Associated Press reports. The other defendants then robbed the victims of watches, jewelry, cash and other valuables, and allegedly choked one victim to near unconsciousness.

Shiesty and eight other involved men have pleaded not guilty and are scheduled to stand trial in February.

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Bruno Mars, Kehlani, Don Toliver and more nominated for 2026 MTV Video Music Awards

Bruno Mars, Kehlani, Don Toliver and more nominated for 2026 MTV Video Music Awards
Bruno Mars, Kehlani, Don Toliver and more nominated for 2026 MTV Video Music Awards
Bruno Mars reacts onstage after a parade honoring his impact on Las Vegas entertainment on April 10, 2026, in Las Vegas, Nevada. As part of the event, Park Avenue, the road outside Dolby Live at Park MGM, the theater where he had a long-running residency, was officially renamed Bruno Mars Drive. (Photo by Ethan Miller/Getty Images for MGM Resorts)

Bruno Mars is among the top contenders for the 2026 MTV Video Music Awards. He’s secured five nominations: artist of the year, video of the year, best R&B, best direction and best edition for “I Just Might.”

Burna Boy, Doechii and Kehlani each have two nods, while Don Toliver’s first chance at winning a Moon Person comes with his best hip-hop nomination for “E85.” The song will compete against Cardi B’s “Safe” featuring Kehlani, Drake’s “Janice STFU,” “Lover Girl” by Megan Thee Stallion, Travis Scott’s “Dumbo” and “Sugar on My Tongue” by Tyler, The Creator.

In the best R&B category, Bruno’s up against Chris Brown’s “It Depends/Obvious,” “Raindance” by Dave and Tems, Justin Bieber’s “Yukon,” Kehlani’s “Folded,” and “Is It a Crime” by Mariah the Scientist and Kali Uchis.

A$AP Rocky’s “PUNK ROCKY” earned a nomination for best cinematography, and Olivia Dean’s “Man I Need” is up for song of the year. 

Clipse, Kendrick Lamar, Pusha T and Malice’s “Chain & Whips” is among the nominees for best collaboration, as are “Ever Since U Left Me” by French Montana x Max B, “Dai Dai” by Shakira and Burna Boy, Teyana Taylor and Lucky Daye’s “Hard Part” and more.

The 2026 MTV VMAs will air live from Los Angeles on Sept. 27 on CBS, simulcast on MTV and stream on Paramount+. Voting is open through Sept. 25 at 6 p.m. ET via Vote.MTV.com.

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Details announced for the 10th annual Allman Betts Family Revival

Details announced for the 10th annual Allman Betts Family Revival
Details announced for the 10th annual Allman Betts Family Revival
Admat for Allman Betts Family Revival (courtesy of The Allman Betts Family Revival)

The music of the Allman Brothers Band will once again be celebrated at the 10th annual Allman Betts Family Revival, a 20-date tour launching in November.

This year’s trek, hosted by Gregg Allman’s son Devon Allman and Dickey Betts’ son Duane Betts, is titled A Decade of Revival, inspired by the Allman Brothers Band’s 1991 compilation, A Decade of Hits 1969–1979.

“I can’t believe it’s been 10 years of our beautiful gathering of friends to celebrate our dads’ songbook,” Devon says. “Being the faithful custodians to this historic body of work is not lost on Duane and I. It is our high honor. We couldn’t possibly hold it any closer to our hearts. We can’t wait to evoke the spirits and celebrate 10 years.”

“It’s a gift playing this timeless songbook with so many of our beautiful, talented friends,” Duane adds. “We couldn’t be more thrilled to have the Revival continue into year 10. See y’all on the road!”

The tour is set to kick off Nov. 28 in St. Louis, Missouri, and wraps with two nights in San Francisco, Dec. 19 and 20. In addition to the Allman Betts Band, this year’s lineup includes Robert Randolph, Sierra Hull, Judith Hill and Luther Dickinson. A complete list of dates and lineups can be found at allmanbettsfamilyrevival.com.

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

14 face charges related to alleged cocaine ring at Penn State fraternities

14 face charges related to alleged cocaine ring at Penn State fraternities
14 face charges related to alleged cocaine ring at Penn State fraternities
The Old Main building on the campus of Penn State University, Oct. 11, 2024, in State College, Pennsylvania. (Dmitry Vinogradov/Getty Images)

(NEW YORK) — Charges were announced Monday against 14 people in connection with an alleged cocaine-trafficking operation involving students associated with two Penn State fraternities, the Pennsylvania attorney general’s office said.

Thirteen current or former students, as well as a student’s father, face felony or misdemeanor charges, according to a press release. At least four defendants are current students, the attorney general’s office said.

“This was a coordinated and highly profitable drug-trafficking crew revolving around two senior members of the fraternities, other fraternity brothers, and pledges,” Attorney General Dave Sunday said in a statement. “In fact, according to the evidence uncovered, cutting and packaging cocaine was, for some pledges, an indoctrination into the fraternities.”

Penn State officials placed the Delta Upsilon fraternity on an interim suspension, the school said in a statement. The other fraternity, Sigma Chi, where members were allegedly involved, is not recognized as an official fraternity at the school, the statement said.

The allegations stem from 2023 and 2024, Penn State said, adding that both fraternities operate off campus.

The investigation, which the attorney general dubbed “Operation Drugs Unlimited,” found that two members of the group — Agostino Abbatiello and Thomas Robinson — were alleged to have been the main suppliers to the group, roles that included “making regular trips to Philadelphia and New York for large quantities of cocaine,” officials said.

“The cocaine was then cut and packaged — primarily at the Delta Upsilon and Sigma Chi fraternity houses — and distributed mainly to Penn State University students,” according to the attorney general’s office.

Officials said they tracked how the cocaine was allegedly obtained, packaged and sold, saying, “Most of the payments were made in cash or via payment apps.”

Abbatiello and Robinson, along with two others, Mohammed Hurabi and Lars Zeepvat, face charges including felony corrupt organizations, conspiracy, dealing in proceeds of unlawful activity and related offenses, the office said. Another person, Robert Zanolla, faces charges of felony conspiracy and criminal use of a communication facility, as well as related misdemeanors, the office said.

The eight remaining student-age defendants face misdemeanor counts of possession and possession of drug paraphernalia, the office said.

“Paul Robinson is charged with felony tampering, hindering apprehension for taking steps to conceal evidence, including a safe containing drugs and cash, and obstructing the investigation,” the release said, identifying him as the father of one of the students.

The charges were announced by Sunday’s office in cooperation with the State College Police Department and the 54th Statewide Investigating Grand Jury.

“We are horrified by these serious allegations against current and former students,” said Andrea Dowhower, Penn State’s vice president for Student Affairs, in a statement.

Dowhower added, “Criminal activity, including hazing, such as this has no place at our institution, and we will cooperate with law enforcement in any way we can. We will continue to enhance our efforts around health and safety and hazing educational efforts for all our organizations.”

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.