Gun rights group sues to stop groundbreaking San Jose gun law

Gun rights group sues to stop groundbreaking San Jose gun law
Gun rights group sues to stop groundbreaking San Jose gun law
Dai Sugano/MediaNews Group/The Mercury News via Getty Images

(SAN JOSE, Calif.) — The National Association for Gun Rights filed a lawsuit against the city of San Jose, California, seeking to end a rule passed by city council which aims to reduce gun harm.

The rule, passed on Tuesday, requires gun owners to purchase liability insurance and pay an annual “gun harm reduction” fee. Gun owners will also be required to pay city cost recovery fees related to the program’s implementation.

“Liability insurance can reduce the number of gun incidents by encouraging safer behavior and it can also provide coverage for losses and damages related to gun incidents,” the bill states.

In the lawsuit, the National Association for Gun Rights claimed the new rule is unconstitutional.

“San Jose’s imposition of a tax, fee, or other arbitrary cost on gun ownership is intended to suppress gun ownership without furthering any government interest. In fact, the penalties for nonpayment of the insurance and fees include seizure of the citizen’s gun,” the lawsuit said. “The Ordinance is, therefore, patently unconstitutional”

The bill, which the group is attempting to strike down, will become law on July 25, six months after it was passed.

“If left intact, the City of San Jose’s Ordinance would strike at the very core of the fundamental constitutional right to keep and bear arms and defend one’s home,” the gun rights group said in the lawsuit.

“They want to tax law-abiding gun owners simply for exercising their Second Amendment rights,” the association said in a post on its website. “This is just as unthinkable as imposing a ‘free speech tax’ or a ‘church attendance tax.'”

“If this California city can tax citizen’s Second Amendment rights, gun grabbers in cities all across the country will quickly follow suit,” the association said on its website.

San Jose Mayor Sam Liccardo said he plans to support efforts to replicate these initiatives across the nation.

“Tonight San José became the first city in the United States to enact an ordinance to require gun owners to purchase liability insurance, and to invest funds generated from fees paid by gun owners into evidence-based initiatives to reduce gun violence and gun harm,” Liccardo said in a statement on Tuesday.

The mayor’s office and the National Association for Gun Rights did not immediately respond to ABC News’ request for comment.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Watch Papa Roach’s video for new “Stand Up” single

Watch Papa Roach’s video for new “Stand Up” single
Watch Papa Roach’s video for new “Stand Up” single
Gina Wetzler/Redferns

Papa Roach has premiered the video for the band’s new single, “Stand Up.”

The clip finds Jacoby Shaddix and company rocking out in a warehouse in front of a fisheye lens. You can watch it now streaming on YouTube.

The song “Stand Up” was released last week. Shaddix described the track as being “inspired by the social unrest of marginalized people throughout the world.”

“Stand Up” is expected to be featured on the next Papa Roach album, alongside previously released tunes “Swerve,” “Kill the Noise” and “Dying to Believe.” The record, the follow-up to 2019’s Who Do You Trust?, is expected to arrive later this year.

Papa Roach will hit the road this spring on a U.S. tour alongside Hollywood Undead and Bad Wolves. The trek kicks off March 1 in Anaheim, California.

(Video contains uncensored profanity.)

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Brothers Osborne’s John Osborne opens up about the bout with depression that “hospitalized” him in 2019

Brothers Osborne’s John Osborne opens up about the bout with depression that “hospitalized” him in 2019
Brothers Osborne’s John Osborne opens up about the bout with depression that “hospitalized” him in 2019
ABC

After Brothers Osborne’s TJ Osborne came out as gay in early 2021 — becoming the first country artist signed to a major label to do so — the support he received help propel the duo towards releasing their song, “Younger Me.”

A reflection on the challenges of becoming comfortable with yourself, the song touched on TJ’s experience with navigating his sexuality. But the song was just as important to his brother and band mate John, the pair tell ABC’s Nightline in a new interview.

John, who has publicly discussed his battles with depression and anxiety, shared that for him, the song speaks to a bout of mental health challenges in late 2019 that nearly cost him his life.

“What were the lows like for me? I mean, in full disclosure, the lows were suicide,” John explains. “I went through a very serious bout of it at the end of 2019 which actually hospitalized me.”

One of the things that helped him surmount that difficult time, he says, was sharing his experiences, both in his songs and with the Brothers Osborne’s fan base.

“One of the biggest things that I have done for myself over the past year and a half is talk about it,” he reflects.

While there might be different meanings behind “Younger Me,” the two brothers feel an equally deep, personal connection to the song.

“Every line and syllable of that song applies to my story just as much as TJ’s,” John says.

If you are struggling with thoughts of suicide, or worried about a friend or loved one, help is available. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255 [TALK] for free confidential emotional support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Even if it feels like it, you are not alone.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

“Pro Choice” Marvel movie star Evangeline Lilly protesting vaccine mandates

“Pro Choice” Marvel movie star Evangeline Lilly protesting vaccine mandates
“Pro Choice” Marvel movie star Evangeline Lilly protesting vaccine mandates
VALERIE MACON/AFP via Getty Images

In a post on her Instagram, Evangeline Lilly, the Lost veteran who plays Hope van Dyne/The Wasp in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, blasted COVID-19 vaccine mandates. 

Along with a picture of someone carrying a sign that read “Vaxxed Democrat for medical freedom” at last weekend’s Washington, D.C. protest of mandating the jabs, Lilly posted that she was there, too. 

“I was in DC this weekend to support bodily sovereignty while Canadian truckers were rallying for their cross-country, peaceful convoy in support of the same thing,” the actress conveyed. 

Lilly, who is Canadian, continued, “I believe nobody should ever be forced to inject their body with anything, against their will, under threat of: -violent attack -arrest or detention without trial -loss of employment homelessness -starvation -loss of education -alienation from loved ones -excommunication from society…under any threat whatsoever.”

She continued, “This is not the way. This is not safe. This is not healthy. This is not love. I understand the world is in fear, but I don’t believe that answering fear with force will fix our problems.”

She concluded with, “I was pro choice before COVID and I am still pro choice today.”

Her post had more than 33,000 likes as of 5 p.m. Thursday evening.

In March of 2020, Lilly made headlines for refusing to socially distance, initially writing, “some people value their lives over freedom, some people value freedom over their lives. We all make choices.”

She later issued an apology that read in part, “My direct and special apologies to those most affected by this pandemic. I never meant to hurt you. When I wrote that post…I thought I was infusing calm into the hysteria. I can see now that I was projecting my own fears into an already fearful and traumatic situation.”

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

3 Houston police officers shot, suspect on the run

3 Houston police officers shot, suspect on the run
3 Houston police officers shot, suspect on the run
KTRK-TV

(HOUSTON) — Authorities in Houston are searching for the suspect who shot three Houston police officers and fled in a white Mercedes Thursday afternoon.

The officers’ conditions were not immediately clear.

This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Doja Cat, Saweetie and Summer Walker are among ‘Billboard’s 2022 Women in Music honorees

Doja Cat, Saweetie and Summer Walker are among ‘Billboard’s 2022 Women in Music honorees
Doja Cat, Saweetie and Summer Walker are among ‘Billboard’s 2022 Women in Music honorees
Romain Maurice/Getty Images for Fontainebleau

Doja Cat, Saweetie and Summer Walker are being honored at Billboard‘s 2022 Women in Music Awards in March.

Doja will receive this year’s Powerhouse Award, and Saweetie will recognized as the Game Changer. Both artists are multi-Grammy nominees this year and collaborated on the hit, “Best Friend,” which scored a Grammy nomination for Best Rap Song.

Summer Walker will be presented with the Chartbreaker Award. In November, the 25-year-old singer tied a record set by Taylor Swift for the most songs by a female artist simultaneously on the Billboard Hot 100.

Walker had 18 tracks on the chart the week of November 14, tying the mark previously set by Swift in September 2019 from her double-platinum album, Lover. All the songs were from Summer’s second studio album, Still Over It, which debuted at number one on the Billboard 200.

Hosted by Ciara on March 2, Billboard‘s 2022 Women in Music Awards will be available for the public to attend — a first in the ceremony’s history. The awards show, which will be streamed, will be held at the YouTube Theater at L.A.’s Hollywood Park. Tickets go on sale this Friday.

Information on how to purchase tickets, and watch the show online, will be shared on the award show’s official website.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

‘Peacemaker”s streaming performance stuns even writer-director James Gunn

‘Peacemaker”s streaming performance stuns even writer-director James Gunn
‘Peacemaker”s streaming performance stuns even writer-director James Gunn
HBO Max

Sure, he wrote and directed Peacemaker, but even James Gunn was surprised to learn his small-screen spin-off of The Suicide Squad has become the biggest streaming show in the world.

With a shocked “Holy crap, this is incredible,” Gunn retweeted a Business Insider story that explained HBO Max’s Peacemaker became the most in-demand original streaming TV series in the world as of January 22, beating out heavyweights like Netflix’s The Witcher, and The Book of Boba Fett on Disney+.

The article quoted data from TV analysts Parrot Analytics, which tabulates audiences’ appetites for a given show — and the series starring John CenaJennifer Holland, and Danielle Brooks, was “69.5 times more in demand than the average series,” according to Parrot’s numbers published by Insider.

In fact, demand for HBO Max Original shows has jumped 39.2%, compared to 10.3% for Netflix properties. 

The fifth episode of Peacemaker debuted today, and Gunn just told Deadline he’s got a second Suicide Squad spin-off up his sleeve, but the Guardians of the Galaxy series writer-director “can’t quite say” what it is yet.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Céline Dion and Michael Bublé have a lovefest thanks to Michael’s Céline Dion Challenge TikTok

Céline Dion and Michael Bublé have a lovefest thanks to Michael’s Céline Dion Challenge TikTok
Céline Dion and Michael Bublé have a lovefest thanks to Michael’s Céline Dion Challenge TikTok
David Becker/NBCU Photo Bank/NBCUniversal via Getty Images via Getty Images)

Two Canadian superstars gushing over each other? We love to see it.

Michael Bublé recently posted a TikTok in which he takes on the Céline Dion Challenge, which requires you to dramatically lip-sync her hit “It’s All Coming Back to Me Now” while doing an outfit reveal and having your hair blown around by a fan, hair dryer, leaf blower, or whatever you have available.  Well, not only did fans approve of what Michael did, but so did Céline herself.

As previously reported, Michael lip-synced to the song while standing in front of a hockey goal on skates with a hockey stick and gloves. He then throws them aside and grabs the Stanley Cup, while a guy with a Canadian flag run back and forth behind him and woman throws confetti at him.

Céline re-posted Michael’s video to her Instagram Stories and wrote, “He shoots, he scores! You’re amazing @michaelbuble. Love you! Celine xx.”  Then Michael posted her message to HIS Instagram Stories, and wrote, “I love you more…no you hang up…no you hang up.”

Fun fact: “It’s All Coming Back to Me Now” was written by Jim Steinman, who penned the late Meat Loaf‘s iconic hits. Meat Loaf eventually recorded it himself as a duet with singer Marion Raven on his 2006 album Bat Out of Hell III: The Monster Is Loose.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

New petition asks for Travis Scott to perform at Coachella

New petition asks for Travis Scott to perform at Coachella
New petition asks for Travis Scott to perform at Coachella
Rick Kern/Getty Images

Following a petition created in November demanding that Travis Scott not be allowed to perform at the Coachella festival, a competing petition is asking for the rapper to be added to the 2023 lineup.

Scott fan James Connors launched the Change.org petition. He wrote, “Book Travis for 2023 or have Ye bring him out! After Coachella unfairly removed Travis Scott for Harry Styles, they need to do the right thing and rebook him immediately. Coachella switched Travis and Frank [Ocean] for Harry Styles and Billie Eilish? What kind of message does that send? Fans are demanding refunds and selling their tickets. Coachella needs to fix this asap. We all know Astroworld tragedy wasn’t Travis fault. Let him get back to performing on the biggest stages!”

Connors claims that he has more than 70,000 signatures; however, as of Thursday afternoon, the website listed less than 5,000 signatures.

Scott was originally scheduled to perform at this year’s Coachella, but following the Astroworld festival tragedy, which resulted in 10 deaths and numerous injuries, he was removed from the bill.

Over 63,000 people signed a previous Change.org petition asking Coachella promoter Goldenvoice to drop the Houston MC him from the event. 

“With the recent tragic and unnecessary death at Travis Scott’s Astroworld concert, due to Scott’s own gross negligence and sheer lack of compassion for human life, we ask AEG, [Goldenvoice CEO] Paul Tollett, and Goldenvoice to remove him as performer at all of their festivals,” petition creator Sendero Secreto commented.

After Coachella was canceled in 2020 and 2021 due to the pandemic, the annual California festival will return in April with Kanye West among the headliners.

The lineup also features Doja Cat, Megan Thee Stallion, 21 SavageAri Lennox, Baby Keem, Big Sean, City Girls, Cordae, Daniel Caesar, Giveon, Lil Baby and many more.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

‘The Fallout’ tackles the trauma of school shootings

‘The Fallout’ tackles the trauma of school shootings
‘The Fallout’ tackles the trauma of school shootings
Warner Bros. Pictures/HBO Max

The aftermath of a school shooting — that’s the focus of the new teen drama The Fallout that debuts today on HBO Max.

It was written and directed by actress Megan Park, in her first time behind the camera, and she talked to ABC Audio about her goal to move the needle” by showing “the after effects of what these kids are going to live with for the rest of their lives and maybe a different side of the story that we hadn’t seen before.”

Adds the 35-year-old actress, “I feel like obviously making a film about this subject matter is very tricky, and I didn’t want it to be, you know, this kind of political statement.”

Park didn’t have a personal connection to a school shooting, but says she did a lot of research to make it feel as authentic as possible.

“I spoke to both the survivor of a school shooting and also a mother whose daughter had been through a school shooting and survived,” the Secret Life of the American Teenager alum explains. “And then I spoke with some organizations about how to kind of tackle…gun violence and stuff in a way that isn’t triggering to people who had been through something like this.”

“I even just had somebody send me a DM on Instagram and they said, you know, I went through a school shooting and I so appreciated like, it was really hard, but there were times when we would laugh, you know, a few weeks after it happened, but then feel weird about even laughing, ” she continues,” adding, “there is no right or wrong way to deal with something like this.”  

The Fallout stars Jenna OrtegaMaddie ZieglerShailene Woodley and Julie Bowen.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.