Biden warns Russia will pay ‘severe price’ if it deploys chemical weapons

Biden warns Russia will pay ‘severe price’ if it deploys chemical weapons
Biden warns Russia will pay ‘severe price’ if it deploys chemical weapons
Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images

(WASHINGTON) — While President Joe Biden has repeated that the U.S. will not send troops to Ukraine to fight Russia, he warned Friday that “Russia would pay a severe price” if it used chemical weapons in Ukraine, raising questions over what those consequences would look like.

Biden announced new trade sanctions on Russia Friday and reiterated his position from the White House that “we will not fight a war against Russia in Ukraine,” but so far, economic sanctions from the international community have not stopped Russian President Vladimir Putin’s invasion.

The Biden administration has warned this week that Putin could use chemical or biological weapons, but officials have repeatedly refused to say if a chemical attack would cross a red line or whether they have intelligence that an attack is imminent.

“Your White House has said that — that Russia may use chemical weapons, or create a false flag operation to use them,” a reporter asked the president Friday. “What evidence have you seen showing that, and would the U.S. have a military response if Putin does launch a chemical weapons attack?”

“I’m not going to speak about intelligence,” Biden said, “but Russia would pay a severe price if they used chemical weapons.”

It was the only question he took before leaving the room.

White House deputy press secretary Andrew Bates, briefing reporters on Air Force One after the remarks, echoed Biden that there would be “severe consequences,” but also declined to go into specifics about what those would look like for Russia.

“They have used chemical weapons, which again, they are the only country in the mix here who possesses those, in Syria, and time again, we have warned about this particular pretext, and so it is something that we are being attentive to,” he said. “Russia is the only country in this equation with a chemical and biological weapons program in violation of international law.”

Russia escalates false chemical weapons claims

Russia, meanwhile, has doubled down on false claims that the U.S. is helping Ukraine develop chemical or biological weapons, bringing the accusations to the world’s stage at the U.N. Security Council Friday in an emergency session.

“I can foresee what the reaction will be from our Western colleagues, who I am sure are going to be saying now that all of this information is fake and Russian propaganda, but this is self-delusion and I do not think this will be helpful to the European people in case there are outbreaks in Ukraine and neighboring states,” said U.N. Ambassador for Russia Vassily Nebenzya.

Russia has not supplied any credible information to support their claims, but a web of disinformation spread the conspiracy theory this week — heightening concern among U.S. and Ukrainian officials that Russia itself may be planning to deploy chemical or biological weapons against Ukrainian targets or as part of a so-called “false flag” operation.

“I will say this once: Ukraine does not have a biological weapons program, and there are no Ukrainian biological weapons laboratories supported by the United States. Not near Russia’s border or anywhere,” rebutted U.N. Ambassador for Linda Thomas-Greenfield. “Ukraine owns and operates its own public health laboratory infrastructure,” she continued. “It has absolutely nothing to do with biological weapons.”

Reports of Russia sending chem-bio suits to Ukraine

A senior administration official told ABC News Chief Global Affairs Correspondent Martha Raddatz that aside from the so-called “false flag operations” — in which Russians are accusing Ukraine and the U.S. of a possible chemical or biological attack — the U.S. is receiving reports that the Russians are starting to bring in chem-bio suits to Ukraine.

“We believe it is an ominous sign they are possibly doing it for cover,” the official said of the Russian pretext.

The official also said that as much as one-fifth of the Russian force is now “inoperable” — meaning they are either dead, wounded or don’t have the support or equipment needed to continue right now — but there are still fears forces could take Kyiv as it wears down Ukraine.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said in a televised address late Thursday, that Russia falsely accusing Ukraine of preparing for a chemical attack “makes me really worried, because we’ve been repeatedly convinced if you want to know Russia’s plans, look at what Russia accuses others of.”

Thomas Greenfield added Friday, “In fact, it is Russia that has long maintained a biological weapons program in violation of international law. It is Russia that has a well-documented history of using chemical weapons. It is Russia who is the aggressor here,” she said, pointing out the Kremlin’s recent history of poisoning political enemies and supporting the Assad regime’s use of chemical weapons in Syria.

Pentagon pushes back against Russia’s false claim

A senior defense official said Friday that despite the barrage of claims from China and Russia, the U.S. is not helping Ukraine create any chemical or biological weapons.

“We have nothing to hide, and the only reason why we elevated the discussion is because the Russians and the Chinese decided to lie about it — just flat out lie,” the official added. But they would not offer any U.S. intelligence assessment of the likelihood of Putin deploying chemical or biological weapons in Ukraine.

“We know that the Russians have had — and we assess that they still have — a sophisticated chemical and biological weapons program. I’m not going to talk about intelligence assessments about what they may do with that program or what, if any, designs they might have on Ukraine in that regard,” the official said.

A Pentagon official told reporters Thursday it has “picked up indications that the Russians could be making these claims — these false claims — about us and Ukrainian work in biodefense as a way of creating a pretext of their own, to perhaps use these kinds of agents in an attack.”

Pressed on what “indications” they were referring to, they added, “I have to leave it with you with indications, and [I’m] not going to be at liberty to go in more detail than that today.”

Amid the looming threat, the World Health Organization has urged Ukraine to now destroy pathogen samples because Russia’s war in the country risks an “accidental spill.”

“This is part of us providing public health advice to every country to try to ensure there is a minimized risk of any harm to population because of any possible accidental leak of pathogens,” said WHO spokesperson Tarik Jašarević said from Lviv, Ukraine.

ABC News’ Conor Finnegan, Luis Martinez and Matt Seyler contributed to this report.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Want to eat like Luke Bryan? Try a spicy tuna roll

Want to eat like Luke Bryan? Try a spicy tuna roll
Want to eat like Luke Bryan? Try a spicy tuna roll
ABC/Lou Rocco

Cowboy hats, twangy guitar and…sushi? It may seem like an odd addition to a country-themed menu, but Luke Bryan‘s bar and restaurant in downtown Nashville, Luke’s 32 Bridge, has a rooftop sushi bar, and for good reason: It’s one of the country star’s personal favorite cuisines.

Bar hoppers on Nashville’s lower Broadway can take in the Music City skyline while they chow down on California rolls and pork dumplings.

Downstairs, the fare is a little more conventional. 32 Bridge offers burgers, Nashville’s signature hot chicken and, of course, an array of cocktails named after Luke’s hit songs.

Luke’s 32 Bridge is just one of a variety of country star-owned bars on Nashville’s downtown strip; fans can also dine in style at bars and venues owned by Dierks Bentley, Miranda Lambert, Jason Aldean and many more.

However, none of them have a sushi bar quite like Luke’s.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

AJR writing original music for upcoming ‘Harold and the Purple Crayon’ musical

AJR writing original music for upcoming ‘Harold and the Purple Crayon’ musical
AJR writing original music for upcoming ‘Harold and the Purple Crayon’ musical
ABC

After years of making theater-inspired albums, AJR‘s Broadway dreams are finally coming true.

The “Bang!” band’s Jack and Ryan Met are writing original songs for an upcoming Broadway musical adaptation of the beloved 1955 children’s book Harold and the Purple Crayon.

In this version of the story, Harold is now a young adult who, as a press release puts it, “can no longer rely on his magical purple crayon.”

The project’s stage rights were acquired by TEG+, a new company from Broadway producer Vivek J. Tiwary, whose Tiwary Entertainment Group staged the Green Day and Alanis Morissette musicals American Idiot and Jagged Little Pill, respectively.

“We adored Harold and the Purple Crayon growing up, and we thought: what if we saw Harold as a young adult, realizing that his problems are too profound to simply draw away,” AJR says. “Vivek’s incredible musical work and his passion for this idea made him the perfect partner for the reimagining of the classic story.”

An opening date for the musical has yet to be announced.

AJR, meanwhile, is about to launch a U.S. tour in April in support of the trio’s very theatrical 2021 album, OK ORCHESTRA.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Elvira meets Zombie: Cassandra Peterson cast in “Dragula” rocker’s upcoming ‘The Munsters’ movie

Elvira meets Zombie: Cassandra Peterson cast in “Dragula” rocker’s upcoming ‘The Munsters’ movie
Elvira meets Zombie: Cassandra Peterson cast in “Dragula” rocker’s upcoming ‘The Munsters’ movie
Robert Mora/Getty Images

Rob Zombie‘s The Munsters movie will feature Elvira herself.

Cassandra Peterson, who portrayed the iconic ’80s horror hostess, has joined the cast of the “Dragula” rocker’s upcoming film, based on the ’60s TV show.

According to an Instagram post from Zombie, Peterson will be playing the character Barbara Carr, described as “the #1 real estate agent in all of Mockingbird Heights.”

“Yes, the Mistress of the Dark has joined the cast of The Munsters,” Zombie writes. “Stay tuned for more exciting news to come.”

The Munsters cast also includes Sherri Moon Zombie and Jeff Daniel Phillips as Lily and Herman Munster, respectively, as well as Lost actor Jorge Garcia.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Billie Eilish and FINNEAS drop new song, “1 True Love,” from Pixar’s ‘Turning Red’

Billie Eilish and FINNEAS drop new song, “1 True Love,” from Pixar’s ‘Turning Red’
Billie Eilish and FINNEAS drop new song, “1 True Love,” from Pixar’s ‘Turning Red’
Disney/Pixar

Billie Eilish and FINNEAS have dropped a new single from the just-released Pixar film Turning Red that captures the pining heartbreak anthems of the early aughts. The tune, “1 True Love,” was composed by the siblings for the fictional boy band 4*Town that’s featured in the animated flick.

The song starts out as a ballad with over-the-top dreamy vocals about how the group cannot live without the love of their life by their side. 

“Heavy rain from my cloudy eyes/ Every time you say/ That it isn’t wise to call you babe/ But you’re the light of my life/ I drove by your house 29 times today/ Nobody else could make me feel this way,” the song goes. “‘Cause you have opened my eyes/ And stolen my heart/ You make me believe/ That love can be art/ And I could never survive a minute apart.”

The slow-paced song continues about how the object of their affection is “my one true love,” before ending with a declaration, “Nobody else.”  

Turning Red — which is set in 2002 — is now available to stream on Disney+. Billie and Finneas composed all the songs for 4*Town, which parodies the boy band craze from 20 years ago. The soundtrack is available to purchase now across major retailers.

Pixar is owned by Disney, the parent company of ABC News.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

New Music Friday: Latto & 21 Savage, Shenseea, Tory Lanez and more

New Music Friday: Latto & 21 Savage, Shenseea, Tory Lanez and more
New Music Friday: Latto & 21 Savage, Shenseea, Tory Lanez and more
Manny Carabel/Getty Images

From intimate love songs to heartfelt rap tracks and bops with catchy beats, check out this week’s New Music Friday for the culture’s latest & greatest in music. 

New Music

– Latto ft. 21 Savage, “Wheelie” — The Atlanta rap duo teamed up yet again for the latest single off Latto’s upcoming 777 album. The two previously collaborated on “Pull Up” from Latto’s 2020 debut album, Queen of Da Souf. 

– NLE Choppa, “The Gender Reveal Song” — The Memphis rapper released the new song as a tribute to his unborn child. He and his girlfriend announced the news that they recently lost the baby after suffering a miscarriage.

– Tory Lanez, “Cap” — In Tory-like fashion, the rapper delivered heavy lyrics over a catchy beat. The song is said to be a diss record about Megan Thee Stallion‘s boyfriend, Pardi Fontaine.

– Mariah the Scientist, Buckles Laboratories Presents: The IntermissionThe R&B singer released her 4-track EP which is comprised of never-released music, according The Source

– Lucky Daye, CandydripThe 36-year-old Louisiana singer dropped his second studio album, which features artists like Lil Durk, Chiiild and Smino.

– Shenseea, AlphaIn the midst of constant radio plays for her single “R U That,” the Jamaican-born artist delivered her 14-track debut reggae album.

Hits Heavy in Rotation

– Ella Mai — “DFMU

– SZA — “I Hate U

– Jack Harlow — “Nail Tech

– Shenseea ft. 21 Savage — “R U That

– Fivio ForeignKanye West & Alicia Keys — “City of Gods

Artist on the Rise

Omeretta The Great is an up-and-coming rapper from Atlanta. Her recent success on the controversial track “Sorry Not Sorry” boosted her to the top of the “who to look out for” lists and landed her a collab with fellow-Atlanta rapper Latto.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Mod Sun releases new single, “Rich Kids Ruin Everything”

Mod Sun releases new single, “Rich Kids Ruin Everything”
Mod Sun releases new single, “Rich Kids Ruin Everything”
Aaron Davidson/Getty Images

Mod Sun has released a new song called “Rich Kids Ruin Everything.”

The track, which is available now via digital outlets, finds the “Flames” rocker reflecting on the recent mainstream resurgence of pop punk and reaching out to “all the kids that feel confident in their own skin and don’t walk around wearing a costume.”

“I grew up a scene kid, I grew up a skateboarder and a pop punk kid and I used to get made fun of for being all of those, for the way I looked, the way I dressed, for the way I acted and all the things [I] love,” Mod says. “It’s both awesome and hilarious, yet confusing seeing the general public and pop culture embracing all the things that I would get torn down for.”

“Everything now is about trends,” he continues. “If it keeps going this way and getting championed then eventually originality will be a lost art. I’m trying to let people know that there’s more to this world than what’s currently popular. I want kids to feel like it’s important to be visionaries not followers.”

“Rich Kids Run Everything” is the first off Mod’s next album. It’ll be the follow-up to 2021’s Internet Killed the Rockstar, which features the Avril Lavigne collaboration, “Flames.”

Meanwhile, Lavigne’s new album Love Sux features several songs co-written and co-produced by Mod.

(Video contains uncensored profanity.) 

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Kenny Chesney’s “Everyone She Knows” video tips its hat to women who go their own way

Kenny Chesney’s “Everyone She Knows” video tips its hat to women who go their own way
Kenny Chesney’s “Everyone She Knows” video tips its hat to women who go their own way
Jason Kempin/Getty Images for Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum

A woman with an independent streak is the star of the show in the music video for Kenny Chesney’s new single, “Everyone She Knows.”

The clip follows a woman who’s at home on the road, driving through jaw-dropping scenes of mountainsides, beach towns and the Grand Canyon in her Mercedes-Benz Sprinter van.

“I have been surrounded by strong women who lead these lives on their own terms my whole life,” says Kenny of the inspiration behind the song. “Nothing is more powerful or interesting than a woman who has a sense of her destiny and is willing to go chase it. It’s not always conventional, but that’s what makes their passion so much stronger.”

Fans will get a chance to see “Everyone She Knows” get the live treatment during Kenny’s upcoming Here and Now 2022 Tour, which launches in late April in Tampa, Florida. The song follows “Knowing You,” Kenny’s latest chart-topping single.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Watch Corey Taylor rock out in new Ho99o9 video, “Bite My Face”

Watch Corey Taylor rock out in new Ho99o9 video, “Bite My Face”
Watch Corey Taylor rock out in new Ho99o9 video, “Bite My Face”
Scott Dudelson/Getty Images

Slipknot‘s Corey Taylor is featured in the video for “Bite My Face,” a new song from the band Ho99o9.

The clip, streaming now on YouTube, finds Taylor joining the hip hop/punk outfit for a raging performance of the track that will definitely get you pumped to jump into a mosh pit. Stay tuned for the end when Taylor breaks out his Slipknot mask.

“Bite My Face” appears on the new Ho99o9 album Skin, which is out today. The record was produced by Travis Barker, and was released on the Blink-182 drummer’s DTA Records label.

Ho99o9 will reunite with Taylor when they open for the second leg of Slipknot’s Knotfest Roadshow tour, kicking off in May. The first leg, which launches next week, features support from In This Moment and Wage War.

(Video contains uncensored profanity.) 

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Def Leppard films appearance in upcoming Netflix UK movie ‘Bank of Dave’

Def Leppard films appearance in upcoming Netflix UK movie ‘Bank of Dave’
Def Leppard films appearance in upcoming Netflix UK movie ‘Bank of Dave’
Kevin Mazur/Getty Images For The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Def Leppard recently filmed a scene for an upcoming movie titled Bank of Dave, which is expected to eventually premiere in the U.K. on Netflix, the Lancashire Telegraph reports.

The band recently posted a message on its social media sites that reads, “Fun time this past weekend!” along with three hashtags — “#Tempo_productions #NetflixUK #bankofdavefilm” — and a photo of what looks like a concert stage featuring a large backdrop with the “Def Leppard” logo on it.

According to the Tempo Productions website, Bank of Dave tells the true story of Dave Fishwick, a self-made millionaire from Burnley, U.K., who set up a community bank to aid local businesses in his hometown area, and wound up in a conflict with established banking institutions.

The Lancashire Telegraph reports that Def Leppard were in Burnley to film their scene, although details of their appearance aren’t known. The band hails from Sheffield, U.K., which is not far from Burnley.

Fishwick himself posted a tweet in response to Def Leppard social media post about their participation in the movie, writing, “This was Amazing, Thank-you so much @DefLeppard You were Brilliant!! It was great to meet you all! #BankofDave The Movie!”

Meanwhile, Def Leppard is gearing up for The Stadium Tour, the major U.S. summer trek with Mötley Crüe, Poison and Joan Jett that kicks off June 16 in Atlanta.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.