Stephen Stills, Graham Nash, Cyndi Lauper & more to salute Joni Mitchell at MusiCares Person of the Year gala

Stephen Stills, Graham Nash, Cyndi Lauper & more to salute Joni Mitchell at MusiCares Person of the Year gala
Stephen Stills, Graham Nash, Cyndi Lauper & more to salute Joni Mitchell at MusiCares Person of the Year gala
Kevin Mazur/VF20/WireImage

A full, updated lineup has been announced for the 2022 MusiCares Person of the Year gala, which, as previously reported, will honor Joni Mitchell and take place April 1 at the MGM Grand Conference Center in Las Vegas.

Among the many artists confirmed to perform in celebration of the legendary Canadian singer/songwriter are Crosby, Stills & Nash‘s Stephen Stills and Graham Nash, as well as Cyndi Lauper, Chaka Khan and many more.

Nash, who was Mitchell’s boyfriend back in the day, will be performing remotely.

Other artists on the bill include Brandi Carlile, Sara Bareilles, Beck, Mickey Guyton, Pentatonix, Jon Batiste, Leon Bridges, Angélique Kidjo, Billy Porter, St. Vincent and jazz legend Herbie Hancock, who won the 2008 Album of the Year Grammy for River: The Joni Letters, a collection of Mitchell covers.

Carlile and Batiste also will serve as the evening’s artistic directors. James Taylor and Maggie Rogers, who were among a previously announced list of performers, are no longer part of the lineup.

In addition to the concert, the gala will include a silent auction, reception and dinner. Mitchell, 78, who was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 1997, is being honored for her impact on the music industry and for being a huge inspiration to generations of artists.

The gala benefits MusiCares, the charitable arm of the Recording Industry, which supports the health and welfare of the music community. Tickets are available now.

The event originally was to have taken place January 29 in Los Angeles, but was postponed when the 2022 Grammy Awards ceremony also was postponed. The Grammys are now scheduled for April 3.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Wendy Williams addresses health, legal battle with Wells Fargo in exclusive ABC News interview

Wendy Williams addresses health, legal battle with Wells Fargo in exclusive ABC News interview
Wendy Williams addresses health, legal battle with Wells Fargo in exclusive ABC News interview
Bravo/NBCU Photo Bank via Getty Images

Wendy Williams is addressing months of reports and rumors about her mental and physical well-being after health struggles kept her from returning to her show for a 13th season. In an exclusive interview with Good Morning America, Williams said she is “comfortable” and “ready” to work again.

“Give me about three months,” she said in a phone interview. “There are private things that I have to deal with and then I’ll be ready to come back and be free and ready to do my thing.”

Just last month, producers of The Wendy Williams Show announced that Williams’ talk show would come to an  end after 14 seasons and will be replaced this fall by Sherri, a new series hosted by Sherri Shepherd. Shepherd had been one of the fan favorites filling in for Williams, who was said to be sidelined because of complications from her Graves’ disease, which is a thyroid condition.

Amid her various health struggles, Williams is in a legal battle with Wells Fargo Bank, which froze her accounts for two months. She said this has prevented her from fulfilling her financial obligations, including mortgage payments and employee payroll.

“They say that I need somebody to handle my account. And I don’t want that,” Williams said. “I want all my money. I want to see all my money that I’ve worked hard for my entire life. My entire life…I am an honest, hard-working person.”

In court documents, the bank said it has requested a conservatorship for the talk show host because it believes “she is the victim of undue influence and financial exploitation” — an allegation Wendy has denied.

“I want to spend more time with my family,” Williams said. “And you know, working out and waiting for the responses to my money situation and Wells Fargo. And they don’t like that. I’ve worked hard every single day, even on days when you know, I might have a little cold.”

Wells Fargo didn’t comment about Williams’ recent statements, but in February, the bank told People magazine, “We deny any allegations of improper actions with respect to Ms. Williams’ accounts and are fully participating in a court process to reach a resolution that is in her best interest. The financial well-being of our clients is at the heart of everything we do.”

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Cargo ship sinks in stormy Persian Gulf. Crew member missing, officials say.

Cargo ship sinks in stormy Persian Gulf. Crew member missing, officials say.
Cargo ship sinks in stormy Persian Gulf. Crew member missing, officials say.
FILE photo – Thierry Dosogne/Getty Images

(LONDON) — A United Arab Emirates-flagged cargo ship with 30 people onboard sank on Thursday in the Persian Gulf off the southern coast of Iran.

The ship sank due to turbulence in poor weather about 30 miles from Asaluyeh, local authorities said.

Rescuers were immediately dispatched from different parts of Iran’s southern coastline to rescue the ship’s crew, Iranian media reported.

Twenty-nine of the 30 crew members have been rescued so far, a crisis-mitigation official told Islamic Republic News Agency.

Iranian local crisis mitigation official Jahangir Dehghani told IRNA on Thursday that the rescue operation to find the missing crew was continuing.

“At present, two lifeboats … are present at the scene of the accident,” he said.

Due to the strong wind in the northwest direction, the Persian Gulf was reportedly quite rough and turbulent. Wind speeds were recorded at more than 43 miles per hour.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

“We Don’t Talk About Bruno” to get first live performance on Oscars telecast

“We Don’t Talk About Bruno” to get first live performance on Oscars telecast
“We Don’t Talk About Bruno” to get first live performance on Oscars telecast
AMPAS/ABC

It’s not even nominated, but that’s not stopping the Academy from highlighting “We Don’t Talk About Bruno” at this year’s Oscars telecast.

Lin-Manuel Miranda‘s number-one hit from Encanto will get its first-ever live performance at the ceremony on Sunday, March 27 on ABC.  However, “Bruno” isn’t nominated for Best Original Song at the ceremony — another track from Encanto, “Dos Oruguitas (Two Little Caterpillars),” was submitted for the nomination, and got it.

It’s not surprising that “We Don’t Talk About Bruno” is getting the spotlight, though: Not only is it insanely popular online, but it’s the longest-running number-one hit in history from a Disney film, spending five weeks on top of the Billboard Hot 100.

It’s not clear yet if every nominee for Best Original Song will be performed during the Oscars ceremony. However, the Academy also announced that there will be a tribute to “60 years of James Bond,” which means a performance by Billie Eilish of her and brother FINNEAS‘ Oscar-nominated James Bond theme “No Time to Die” is likely on tap.

The other nominees for Best Original Song are “Be Alive” from King Richard, co-written and performed by Beyoncé; “Somehow You Do,” from Four Good Days, written by Diane Warren and performed by Reba McEntire; and “Down to Joy” from Belfast, written and performed by Van Morrison.

The 94th Annual Academy Awards air live from Hollywood on ABC March 27 at 8 p.m. EDT/5 p.m. PDT, hosted by Wanda Sykes, Amy Schumer and Regina Hall.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Greta Van Fleet postpones two concerts due to illness

Greta Van Fleet postpones two concerts due to illness
Greta Van Fleet postpones two concerts due to illness
Ethan Miller/Getty Images

Greta Van Fleet has postponed two concerts this week due to vocalist Josh Kiszka and guitarist Jake Kiszka feeling sick.

“We’re heartbroken to share both Jake and Josh woke up ill this morning,” the “Highway Tune” rockers wrote in a statement Wednesday.

GVF added that COVID-19 was “ruled out,” but after a “medical consultation,” the band felt that Wednesday and tonight’s shows in Flint and Ypsilanti, Michigan, could not go on as planned. Instead, the dates will be rescheduled for September.

The shows are part of Greta Van Fleet’s Dreams in Gold U.S. tour, which just kicked off last week in Kalamazoo, Michigan.

“This has been the most uplifting and magnificent start to tour, so we are disappointed to make this announcement,” the band’s statement read.

The Dreams in Gold tour is set to resume Saturday, March 19, in Huntington, West Virginia.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Def Leppard to release new album, ‘Diamond Star Halos,’ in May; check out lead single, “Kick”

Def Leppard to release new album, ‘Diamond Star Halos,’ in May; check out lead single, “Kick”
Def Leppard to release new album, ‘Diamond Star Halos,’ in May; check out lead single, “Kick”
UMe

As Def Leppard prepares to launch the massive U.S. summer trek The Stadium Tour with Motley Crue, Poison and Joan Jett, the British rockers have unveiled plans to release their 12th studio album, Diamond Star Halos, on May 27.

The 15-track collection, which is the band’s first new original album since 2015’s self-titled effort, can be pre-ordered now and will be available as a deluxe package, a two-LP set and digitally, among other configurations.

Kicking off the promotion of Diamond Star Halos, Def Leppard has released a rocking track called “Kick” as the album’s lead single, which is available now via digital formats. An official music video for the tune will debut soon.

Diamond Star Halos includes two duets with acclaimed country/bluegrass artist and longtime Def Leppard fan Alison Krauss — “This Guitar” and “Lifeless.” In addition, famed David Bowie pianist Mike Garson lends his talents to two songs — “Goodbye for Good This Time” and “Angels (Can’t Help You Now).”

The album was recorded remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic in three different countries. Frontman Joe Elliott laid down his vocals in Ireland, bassist Rick Savage recorded his parts in the U.K., and guitarists Phil Collen and Viv Campbell and drummer Rick Allen recorded their contributions in the U.S.

The new songs were created using as inspiration the band’s glam-rock heroes Bowie, T. Rex and Mott the Hoople, combined with elements of Def Leppard’s own classic glam-metal sound and some modern sonic flourishes. The album’s title references lyrics from T. Rex’s signature tune “Bang a Gong (Get It On).”

The 36-city Stadium Tour will get underway June 16 in Atlanta, and is mapped out through a September 9 concert in Las Vegas.

Here is the full Diamond Star Halos track list:

“Take What You Want”
“Kick”
“Fire It Up”
“This Guitar” — featuring Alison Krauss
“SOS Emergency”
“Liquid Dust”
“U Rok Mi”
“Goodbye for Good This Time”
“All We Need”
“Open Your Eyes”
“Gimme a Kiss”
“Angels (Can’t Help You Now)”
“Lifeless” — featuring Alison Krauss
“Unbreakable”
“From Here to Eternity”

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

‘Essence’ Black Women in Hollywood honorees on making an impact in Hollywood and more

‘Essence’ Black Women in Hollywood honorees on making an impact in Hollywood and more
‘Essence’ Black Women in Hollywood honorees on making an impact in Hollywood and more
J.D. Barnes

Forget one cover — Essence magazine just released not one, not two, not three, but four digital covers in honor of the milestone anniversary for their annual Black Women in Hollywood issue. 

This year’s honorees — Nia Long, Aunjanue Ellis, Quinta Brunson, and Chanté Adams — each have their own stunning digital cover for the special issue. The women, whose talents have contributed to the creation of a vast and dynamic Black cinematic universe, will also be honored at the 15th annual Essence Black Women in Hollywood Awards taking place in Beverly Hills on March 24. 

In the issue, the honorees talk about a variety of meaningful topics like the importance of being heard. 

“To truly make an impact and to be true to the art, an artist needs to be heard,” Long said. “Because I come to the table having really studied what I’m doing, not just showing up.”

Brunson also shed some light on the importance of being one’s truest self.

“Going on a true self-worth and introspective journey before you go out into the real world, it’s lifesaving,” the actress shared. “I really want that for more young Black women. It’s a lot of stuff that’s thrown at us. And if we kind of do the work to know the ins and outs of who we are, it can provide a protective shield.”

The Essence Black Women in Hollywood issue is out now. 

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Ed Sheeran says he’s releasing a “bit of a curveball” in the next 10 days

Ed Sheeran says he’s releasing a “bit of a curveball” in the next 10 days
Ed Sheeran says he’s releasing a “bit of a curveball” in the next 10 days
David M. Benett/Dave Benett/Getty Images

Ed Sheeran just put out his current album = (Equals) in October, but he said on Wednesday that he’s got something else coming out as a follow-up that’ll be “a bit of a curveball.”

Speaking to the New Zealand show The Project to promote his upcoming Mathematics tour dates in that country, Ed was asked if his next album would be called – (Minus). He had a surprising answer to that.

“That’s not gonna be the next record I put out,” he told the show’s hosts. “I’ve got something else that’s a bit more of a curveball. We’ve got the first thing of it dropping in ten days.”

Ed added, “I don’t think it’s gonna be a massive hit in New Zealand though, I’ve got to be honest. It’s more gonna be a big hit somewhere else. When you hear it you’ll understand. You’ll be like, ‘Yeah.'”

Between his math-inspired albums, Ed has released various other albums, like 2019’s No. 6 Collaborations Project, so perhaps that’s the kind of thing he’s talking about.  But since he’s predicting that the song will be a big hit “somewhere else,” it’s possible that this track will feature Ed working in a musical genre that’s specific to a certain country or part of the world.

Ed recently released a Latin-flavored collab with Camila Cabello, “Bam Bam,” and an Afrobeats collaboration with Fireboy DML, “Peru,” so who knows? Maybe he’s recording a collaboration with an artist from India or Ukraine or Japan.  We’ll just have to wait and see.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Federal Reserve raises rates by a quarter of a percentage point

Federal Reserve raises rates by a quarter of a percentage point
Federal Reserve raises rates by a quarter of a percentage point
Lance Nelson/Getty Images

(NEW YORK) — The Federal Reserve raised interest rates by a quarter percent on Wednesday, marking the first interest rate hike since 2018.

The move is intended to help curb rising inflation, and it’s anticipated that the fed will do this another six times this year.

“Meaning that, by the end of the year, interest rates could be around 2%, if they stay the course,” says ABC News’ Rebecca Jarvis.

So what does this interest rate hike mean for you?

“The most immediate impact on you is the cost of borrowing,” says Jarvis. “The ability to borrow money gets more expensive — everything from new mortgages, to car loans, to credit card debt. If you look at the average 30-year fixed rate mortgage this morning, it’s already reflecting all of this, at four-and-a-half percent.”

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Congress addresses bomb threats at historically Black colleges

Congress addresses bomb threats at historically Black colleges
Congress addresses bomb threats at historically Black colleges
Image Source/Getty Images

(WASHINGTON) — Congress is addressing campus security at historically Black colleges and universities in the wake of dozens of high-profile bomb threats.

The House Committee on Oversight and Reform and the Subcommittee on Civil Rights and Civil Liberties will hold a hearing Thursday featuring HBCU students alongside FBI and Department of Education officials.

The hearing aims to explore how the government can help to improve institution security and prevent domestic terrorism.

“In one threatening call targeting Spelman College, an HBCU for women in Atlanta, a caller claimed they had singled out that school for one reason: ‘there are too many Black students in it,'” said Oversight and Reform Committee Chairwoman Sen. Carolyn B. Maloney in her opening statement.

The campuses of at least 36 HBCUs, as well as other universities, have been targeted and at least 18 of these colleges and universities were targeted on Feb. 1 — the first day of Black History Month.

More than one-third of the nation’s 101 historically Black academic institutions have been threatened.

The FBI announced that the threats were being investigated as “racially or ethnically motivated violent extremism and hate crimes” and stated that the investigation was of the “highest priority.”

No bombs have been found on any of the campuses. Several persons of interest have been identified, according to the FBI, but no one has been arrested.

“These reprehensible threats against Black institutions echo the tactics employed by the Ku Klux Klan and others decades ago as they tried to instill terror in the Black community and prevent Black Americans from gaining civil rights,” Maloney added.

These threats came as hate crimes against Black Americans are on the rise, increasing by nearly 50% between 2019 and 2020, according to the FBI.

“It is imperative that law enforcement agencies prioritize holding perpetrators accountable and working to keep campuses safe—while also pursuing a broader strategy to address the rising tide of violent white supremacy in this country,” Maloney said.

Vice President Kamala Harris announced Wednesday that targeted HBCUs will be eligible for new grant funding for additional campus security tools.

Secretary of Education Miguel Cardona and Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas have also met with HBCU leaders on tools they can use to strengthen campus safety.

“HBCUs matter, and every HBCU student matters,” Maloney said. “That is why we must do everything possible to support them, especially when they are threatened or attacked.”

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.