A Rock: Hardy explains his passion for rock collecting

A Rock: Hardy explains his passion for rock collecting
A Rock: Hardy explains his passion for rock collecting
Brett Carlsen/Getty Images for ACM

A ROCK isn’t just the name of Hardy‘s debut album, it also connects to one of his favorite pastimes. 

When he’s not writing hit songs or performing for fans all over the country, Hardy can be found fishing for rocks in creeks and riverbeds. His passion for rock collecting goes back to his childhood growing up on his family’s hunting property in Mississippi where a friend introduced him to the hobby.

Hardy’s favorite rock is the arrowhead, which dates back 12,000 years and was used by Native Americans as a weapon and hunting tool. 

Hardy is clearly a natural rock hunter, as the first time he picked up a pile of gravel, he found an arrowhead immediately. “One scoop, first time I ever attempted to look for one and it was right on top and I was like ‘well, I’m hooked,'” Hardy recalls.  

The singer would also frequent the Tallahala Creek that runs through Mississippi in search of the rare ancient arrowheads. “Apparently, that’s the only place in the country that that rock exists. But you can find it all over the southeast, which is crazy,” he says.   

Hardy has such an affinity for the arrowhead that he has a tattoo of one on his back. 

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Ringo Starr confirms All Starr Band tour will resume on Tuesday night

Ringo Starr confirms All Starr Band tour will resume on Tuesday night
Ringo Starr confirms All Starr Band tour will resume on Tuesday night
Kevin Winter/Getty Images

Ringo Starr recently canceled five shows with his All Starr Band after he tested positive for COVID-19, but the former Beatles drummer has announced that he and his group are set to relaunch their tour as planned on Tuesday, October 11 in Seattle, Washington.

On Monday, Ringo posted a message on his social media pages that reads, “On the road again I will see you in Seattle on Tuesday the 11th Portland [Oregon on] Wednesday I am negative peace and love everybody thanks for waiting.”

Accompanying the note is a photo of Starr flashing a peace sign and showing off his negative COVID test.

Besides the Seattle and Portland concerts, Ringo and the All Starr Band have five more shows remaining on their current North American trek — on October 14 in San Jose, California; October 15 in Paso Robles, California; October 16 in Los Angeles; and on October 19 and 20 in Mexico City, Mexico.

Last month, Ringo released a new four-track EP titled EP3. He also recently announced that an archival concert album and video titled Ringo Starr and His All Starr Band Live at The Greek Theater 2019 will be released on November 25.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Scarlett Johansson says she felt being “hypersexualized” at a young age threatened her career

Scarlett Johansson says she felt being “hypersexualized” at a young age threatened her career
Scarlett Johansson says she felt being “hypersexualized” at a young age threatened her career
Jon Kopaloff/WireImage via Getty Images

Scarlett Johansson is getting candid about her career in Hollywood.

As a guest on Dax Shepard‘s Armchair Expert podcast, the Marvel movie veteran opened up about being “hypersexualized” as a young actress.

Johansson said, “I kind of became objectified and pigeonholed in this way where I felt like I wasn’t getting offers for work for things that I wanted to do and I remember thinking to myself, ‘I think people think I’m 40 years old.’ It somehow stopped being something that was desirable and something I was fighting against.”

The Academy Award-nominated JoJo Rabbit actress made her film debut at 9 years old in Rob Reiner‘s 1994 film, North.

At 17, she starred alongside Bill Murray in Sofia Coppola‘s Oscar-nominated Lost in Translation, playing a character who was five years older than she was at the time.

Johansson said, “I think everybody thought I was older and I had been doing it for a long time, I [was] kind of pigeonholed into this weird hypersexualized thing. I felt like it was over kind of — like that’s the kind of career you’ve had, these are the kind of roles played, and I was like, this is it.”

ScarJo added, “So it was scary at that time…And I attributed it to the fact that people thought I was much, much older than I was.”

Johansson said actresses now aren’t pigeonholed in the same way she felt she was when she was younger. “Now, I see younger actors that are in their 20s. It feels like they’re allowed to be all these different things,” she said. “It’s another tie, too. We’re not even allowed to really pigeonhole other actors anymore, thankfully, right? People are much more dynamic.”

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Biden thinks US needs to ‘re-evaluate’ relationship with Saudi Arabia: White House

Biden thinks US needs to ‘re-evaluate’ relationship with Saudi Arabia: White House
Biden thinks US needs to ‘re-evaluate’ relationship with Saudi Arabia: White House
Official White House Photo by Adam Schultz

(WASHINGTON) — President Joe Biden thinks the United States needs to “re-evaluate” its relationship with Saudi Arabia, especially in light of the decision by the OPEC+ oil cartel to cut production, the White House said Tuesday.

“I think the president’s been very clear that this is a relationship that we need to continue to re-evaluate, that we need to be willing to revisit,” White House spokesman John Kirby said in an interview with CNN. “And certainly in light of the OPEC decision, I think that’s where he is.”

OPEC+, a group of oil-producing countries led by Saudi Arabia and Russia, announced last week it would significantly slash production in order to boost oil prices.

Kirby said Biden “is going to be willing to work with Congress as we think about what the right relationship with Saudi Arabia needs to be going forward.”

Sen. Bob Menendez, the New Jersey Democrat who chairs the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, on Monday called on the U.S. to “immediately freeze all aspects of our cooperation with Saudi Arabia, including any arms sales and security cooperation beyond what is absolutely necessary to defend U.S. personnel and interests.”

Menendez cited Saudi Arabia’s financial support for Russia after its invasion of Ukraine.

Biden would be willing to start conversations with Congress “right away,” Kirby said.

The move by OPEC+ could send oil prices higher, which in turn, could raise prices at the gas pump in the United States. Higher gas prices could hurt Biden and Democrats politically heading into this fall’s midterm elections.

Biden traveled to Saudi Arabia in June to, in part, push the kingdom’s leaders to increase production.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Tame Impala, Billie Eilish & more join reunited Blink-182 on Lollapalooza South America lineups

Tame Impala, Billie Eilish & more join reunited Blink-182 on Lollapalooza South America lineups
Tame Impala, Billie Eilish & more join reunited Blink-182 on Lollapalooza South America lineups
Jim Dyson/Getty Images

Tame Impala and Billie Eilish are joining the reunited Blink-182 in headlining the 2023 South American Lollapaloozas, taking place March 17-19 in Chile and Argentina and March 24-26 in Brazil.

Other artists playing the festivals include Jane’s Addiction, The 1975, Wallows, Rise Against, Modest Mouse and Yungblud.

For the full lineups and all ticket info, visit LollapaloozaCl.com, LollapaloozaAr.com or LollapaloozaBr.com.

As previously reported, Blink-182 will be headlining the South American Lollas as part of their 2023 world tour, which will feature the return of founding member Tom DeLonge.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Tulsi Gabbard announces she is leaving Democratic Party, calling it an ‘elitist cabal of war mongers’

Tulsi Gabbard announces she is leaving Democratic Party, calling it an ‘elitist cabal of war mongers’
Tulsi Gabbard announces she is leaving Democratic Party, calling it an ‘elitist cabal of war mongers’
ABC News

(WASHINGTON) — Former Hawaii Rep. Tulsi Gabbard announced on Tuesday she is leaving the Democratic Party, denouncing it as an “elitist cabal of war mongers,” while calling upon other “common sense independent minded Democrats” to exit with her.

“I can no longer remain in today’s Democratic Party that is now under the complete control of an elitist cabal of warmongers driven by cowardly wokeness, who divide us by racializing every issue & stoke anti-white racism, actively work to undermine our God-given freedoms, are hostile to people of faith & spirituality, demonize the police & protect criminals at the expense of law-abiding Americans, believe in open borders, weaponize the national security state to go after political opponents, and above all, dragging us ever closer to nuclear war,” Gabbard said on Twitter.

Gabbard represented Hawaii’s 2nd Congressional District from 2013 to 2021 as a Democrat, and in 2020 she mounted an unsuccessful bid for the party’s presidential nomination. In in a video posted to Twitter on Tuesday, she claimed that the party she’s exiting stands for the “powerful elite,” not the people.

“If you can no longer stomach the direction that the so called woke Democratic Party ideologues are taking our country. I invite you to join me,” she said.

Gabbard paired her announcement with the launch of a podcast series on YouTube called “The Tulsi Gabbard Show.” The first upload is a 28-minute episode titled “Why I’m leaving the Democratic Party,” where she details her entrance into the Democratic party as a young person, “inspired by Democrats who stood up against the war in Vietnam” and those who stood up for plantation workers in Hawaii.

Chief among the reasons her 20-year stint as a member of the Democratic Party will be cut short, she said, is her fear that “President Biden and Democratic Party elites have pushed us to the precipice of nuclear war, risking starting World War III and destroying the world as we know it.”

Gabbard said that her entrance into the 2020 presidential cycle was also because of imminent “nuclear holocaust.”

“I ran for president in 2020 because I knew that this is where we were headed. All the signs were there. I raised this issue every single day during the campaign and on the national debate stage for those of you who may have come to a town hall or who were watching, I’m sure you noticed, but the politicians and the media completely ignored it,” she said.

In her announcement and throughout the episode, Gabbard touted a number of traditionally conservative talking points, repeating right-wing rhetoric like “wokeness” and “elites,” and harkening back to phrasing top GOP leaders have regularly circulated.

She accused Democrats for turning American democracy into “a banana republic” — a term widely imparted by Republican leaders, especially to characterize the FBI’s search of former President Trump’s Mar-a-Lago residence in August.

“The raid of MAL is another escalation in the weaponization of federal agencies against the Regime’s political opponents, while people like Hunter Biden get treated with kid gloves. Now the Regime is getting another 87k IRS agents to wield against its adversaries? Banana Republic,” Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis wrote after the raid.

Gabbard has long been a Fox News contributor — she even guest-hosted Tucker Carlson Tonight in August, following the FBI’s raid of Mar-a-Lago.

“Now, whatever your views are on Donald Trump, there’s no denying that the unprecedented raid on his Palm Beach home earlier this week has set our country on a dangerous new course, and there’s no turning back,” she said on the show.

Gabbard did not announce her next steps, or if she’d consider jumping to the Republican Party.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Hardy to embark on 2023 the mockingbird & THE CROW Tour

Hardy to embark on 2023 the mockingbird & THE CROW Tour
Hardy to embark on 2023 the mockingbird & THE CROW Tour
Big Loud Records

One day after announcing the release of his sophomore album, the mockingbird & THE CROW, Hardy will embark on a headlining tour of the same name next year. 

Hardy and opening acts Jameson Rodgers and band Blame My Youth will visit venues in 16 cities across the U.S. over the course of three months.

The trek begins on February 16 in Indianapolis, IN and concludes on April 29 in Irving, TX. Along the way, they’ll stop at The Tabernacle in Atlanta on March 2, The Fillmore in Minneapolis and New Orleans on April 12 and April 21, respectively, and more. 

The mockingbird & THE CROW, which includes his current single “wait in the truck” featuring Lainey Wilson, will be released on January 20. 

“I’m incredibly grateful to be able to bring this record to you next year. Touring it is something I’ve been thinking about since we started the recording process,” Hardy says. “This album is my best work so far. I truly believe that, and I want this tour to reflect that every night. Excited to have my buddies Blame My Youth and Jameson out with me; it’s going to be crazy.”

Tickets go on sale on October 14 at 10 a.m. local time. 

This December, Hardy will headline his previously announced Wall to Wall Tour with “Don’t Come Lookin'” singer Jackson Dean

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Jazmine Sullivan breaks down at One Musicfest after revealing mother’s breast cancer diagnosis

Jazmine Sullivan breaks down at One Musicfest after revealing mother’s breast cancer diagnosis
Jazmine Sullivan breaks down at One Musicfest after revealing mother’s breast cancer diagnosis
ONE Musicfest

Two-time Grammy winner Jazmine Sullivan broke down on stage during her performance at the One Musicfest in Atlanta over the weekend, after announcing she’d be taking a break from music, following the news that her mother, Pam Sullivan, is once again battling breast cancer.

“This is one of my last few shows of the year, cause I got a lot of personal stuff going on,” Sullivan told the audience in a YouTube video posted by Broadcast Houston, before launching into “Girl Like Me,” the song she co-wrote with H.E.R.

“I don’t know if you guys know, but it’s Breast Cancer Awareness Month, so a lot of us are affected by this horrible, horrible disease,” she continued, choking back tears as she updated them on her mother’s diagnosis.

“We’re doing everything we can for her…and I just want to take this time to give her flowers cause I love her so much, and I want you all to know that if there’s anything about me that you love or that you admire, If I have inspired you, it’s because of my mom,” added Jazmine.

She concluded by asking the crowd to send positive thoughts her mother’s way by shouting in unison, “We love you Miss Pam.”

Pam was first diagnosed with breast cancer in 2019.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

In new poem-turned-song “Get It Back,” Stevie Nicks urges fans to vote: “I am worried about every one of you”

In new poem-turned-song “Get It Back,” Stevie Nicks urges fans to vote: “I am worried about every one of you”
In new poem-turned-song “Get It Back,” Stevie Nicks urges fans to vote: “I am worried about every one of you”
Erika Goldring/WireImage

Stevie Nicks seems to be in a very creative mood lately. First she released her cover of “For What It’s Worth,” then she joined pal Dave Stewart of Eurythmics to sing a song called “Face to Face” in support of Ukraine. Now she’s posted a poem on Instagram that she says she’s turned into a new song called “Get It Back.”

The poem, which was posted on Monday, is a plea for people to stand up for what they believe in by voting. Nicks writes, “Don’t close your eyes and hope for the best/ the dark is out there/ the light is going fast/ and all the rights you had yesterday are taken away.” 

The poem goes on to urge people to “stand up and take it back … you don’t have much time.” Stevie writes, “I wanna teach you to fight” before later urging, “Get mad/ It’s slipping through your fingers.”

In an introductory note to fans and “women of America, from 18 to 100 years old,” Stevie writes, “At 74 years old, I can honestly say that I am worried about every one of you. Worried about health care, and just in general, worried about your God given rights. You must gather together now. You must register to vote as soon as you can … and you must vote!”

Noting that the deadline for registering is Tuesday, October 11, in many states, Stevie points to “the disintegration of Roe v. Wade” as a reason that some may want to go to the polls.

“I watched what happened to women from 1966 … to 1973 when I was 2 years away from joining Fleetwood Mac,” she continues. “Believe me … you don’t want that world to come back.”

Stevie says she’s recording the song right now; no word yet on when it’ll be released.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

‘The Bachelorette”s Clare Crawley is engaged

‘The Bachelorette”s Clare Crawley is engaged
‘The Bachelorette”s Clare Crawley is engaged
Jon Kopaloff/Getty Images

The Bachelorette alum Claire Crawley is engaged to businessman Ryan Dawkins.

“He has held me in my darkness, loves me through my healing, and we now celebrate the light together!” Crawley, 41, announced on her Instagram, alongside a photo of the 45-year-old Mascot Sports CEO getting down on one knee. “The easiest YES of my life.”

Clare began dating Ryan in 2021, but only revealed the romance a month ago via Instagram, sharing, “Him,” along with a video of them singing in the car together, before adding that she found her “perfect fit.”

Party of Five alum and Bachelor fan Jennifer Love Hewitt responded to the news of Crawley’s engagement, writing, “Congrats!!!!! Yes! Love is beautiful!!!” while Queer Eye‘s Jonathan Van Ness replied, “So cute honey!!”

Bachelor Nation also chimed in, with Trista Sutter, a runner-up on season 1 of The Bachelor, writing that she was “so happy” for the hairstylist.

Bachelor in Paradise star Michael Allio also expressed his excitement, commenting, “You deserve it!”

Crawley previously got engaged to Dale Moss during season 16 The Bachelorette in 2020, leaving the reality series early after hitting it off with the 34-year-old former football player. Tayshia Adams took her place as the season 16 lead.

Crawley and Moss called it quits in January 2021. They reconciled a month later, before splitting for good in September 2021.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.