Alex Jones ordered to pay hundreds of millions in Sandy Hook defamation trial

Alex Jones ordered to pay hundreds of millions in Sandy Hook defamation trial
Alex Jones ordered to pay hundreds of millions in Sandy Hook defamation trial
Jason Marz/Getty Images

(WATERBURY, Conn.) — A Connecticut jury awarded hundreds of millions of dollars in damages to 15 plaintiffs defamed by conspiracy theorist Alex Jones when the Infowars host called the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting a hoax staged by actors following a script written by the government to build support for gun control.

With the plaintiffs sobbing in the gallery, the clerk read out the verdict in which the jury decided compensatory damages for both slander and for emotional distress.

The compensatory damages total about a billion dollars, far exceeding the award in a prior case in Texas. He was ordered to pay just shy of $50 million in that case, which was decided in August.

The jury also awarded attorneys fees and costs Wednesday.

Jones, who was on the air with his radio program as the verdict was read, told his listeners, “This must be what hell is like — they just read out the damages, even though you don’t got the money.”

His attorney, attorney Norm Pattis, told reporters they plan to appeal the decision.

“Candidly, from start to finish, the fix was in in this case,” Pattis said outside the courthouse. “We disagree with the basis of the default, we disagree with the court’s evidentiary rulings.”

“In more than 200 trials in the course of my career, I’ve never seen a trial like this,” he continued.

The plaintiffs, relatives of victims and an FBI agent who responded to the scene, testified that they were tormented by Jones’ followers who believed his lies about the massacre. The families said they were harassed and threatened in the decade since the shooting.

One of the plaintiffs, Robbie Parker, whose 6-year-old daughter Emilie was killed in the Sandy Hook massacre, thanked his lawyers for helping him “fight and stand up to what had been happening to me for so long.”

“I’m just proud that what we were able to accomplish was just to simply tell the truth. And it shouldn’t be this hard. And it shouldn’t be this scary,” he said in an emotional statement given outside the courthouse.

Parker expressed gratitude for the jury “not just because of their verdict, but for what they had to endure, what they had to listen to,” he continued.

Jones testified he believed at the time the shooting might have been staged but he has since said he now believes it’s real. He declined to apologize to the families on the stand in this trial, saying he had already apologized enough.

A judge last year found Jones and Infowars’ parent company, Free Speech Systems, liable in the defamation lawsuit, with plaintiffs that include an FBI agent who responded to the scene and eight families of victims that Jones called actors.

The plaintiffs’ attorney had asked that Jones pay $550 million to a group of Sandy Hook parents, who claim the Infowars host spread lies about the mass shooting that killed 26 people, including 20 elementary school children.

The attorney, Chris Mattei, asked the six jurors to “think about the scale of the defamation,” citing as one example Jones’ claim the families, “faked their 6- or 7-year-old’s death.”

Pattis told jurors it was not their job to bankrupt Jones so he would stop broadcasting lies.

Pattis said he represents a “despised human being” but balked at the half-billion-dollar sum proposed by the plaintiffs’ attorney.

“It would take a person earning $100,000 a year hundreds of years to make $550 million,” Pattis said during his closing statement.

Jones faces a third, and final, trial that could result in another hefty damage award.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

John Stamos, Yvette Nicole Brown talk up season 2 of ‘Big Shot’, now on Disney+

John Stamos, Yvette Nicole Brown talk up season 2 of ‘Big Shot’, now on Disney+
John Stamos, Yvette Nicole Brown talk up season 2 of ‘Big Shot’, now on Disney+
Disney/Christopher Willard

The entire second season of Disney+’s high school hit Big Shot drops on the streaming service Wednesday.

A “very grateful” John Stamos, who plays girls basketball coach Marvyn Korn, tells ABC Audio he literally couldn’t wait. “I remember talking to them at the end of shooting the first season. I said, ‘Let’s just, let’s take a month off, just roll into season 2.’ They said, ‘Well, let’s see how it does.’ I said, ‘Look, the girls are going to get older. Let’s let’s just take a month off … let’s pick it up [for season 2].'”

Yvette Nicole Brown returns as Westbrook High Principal Sherilyn Thomas. She explained with a laugh, “It’s almost Pavlovian: The first show I did 18 years ago with Kevin Hart was called The Big House, and we got canceled after six episodes. So I always start twitching somewhere around the sixth episode ’cause I’m like, ‘Are we going to make it?’ And then to make it beyond the six episodes, and then to get a second season of anything, is always just a wonderful surprise.”

Brown adds, “And, you know, I love Disney+, I love John. I love the girls, I love [co-star] Jessalyn [Gilsig]. So to get to come back and work with these people that I enjoy working with has been such a gift.”

Stamos teases some big changes for the school. “The first episode, we see … that the school becomes co-ed. And I think that opens up a lot of things. I mean, obviously the girls and boys and all that, but also really we get a chance to highlight the inequality of men’s sports versus women’s sports.”

He adds, “The season just felt right.”

Disney is the parent company of ABC News.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Heart’s Nancy Wilson selling collection of guitars, other music gear online

Heart’s Nancy Wilson selling collection of guitars, other music gear online
Heart’s Nancy Wilson selling collection of guitars, other music gear online
Courtesy of The Official Nancy Wilson of Heart Reverb Shop

A selection of instruments and other gear belonging to Heart guitarist Nancy Wilson will be available for purchase via Wilson’s shop at the Reverb.com online marketplace starting Wednesday, October 19.

The Rock & Roll Hall of Famer will be selling more than two dozen items from her long career with Heart, including guitars, amplifiers and keyboards.

Among the guitars Wilson is selling is a late-1960s Gibson SG that she says has been one of her main guitars for playing the Heart classic “Barracuda” in concert. The instrument features a Bigsby vibrato bar, and the back of the body has two Marine Corps stickers affixed to it.

“It’s traveled really far with me. We’ve done a lot of stages and shows together … and you might recognize this Marine Corps symbol here that I used to flash at the end of ‘Barracuda,'” Wilson says. 

Other guitars that will be sold include a 1957 Fender Stratocaster, a Paul Reed Smith 12-string prototype electric guitar with a dragon inlay, a late-1970s David Petschulat Mini Les Paul that appeared on the cover of Heart’s Greatest Hits Live album, and a red-and-white TV Jones Spectrasonic model Wilson says she also frequently used to play “Barracuda” live.

A video of Wilson showing off and talking about the various guitars she’s selling has been posted on Reverb’s official YouTube channel.

The sale was organized by Wilson and Reverb in partnership with the DEFINITIVE Authentic company, which works directly with artists and other celebrities to help certify, preserve and exhibit their artifacts.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Brendan Fraser talks “tragic” cancellation of ‘Batgirl’

Brendan Fraser talks “tragic” cancellation of ‘Batgirl’
Brendan Fraser talks “tragic” cancellation of ‘Batgirl’
Tommaso Boddi/Getty Images

In a chat with Variety along with his The Whale director Darren Aronofsky, Brendan Fraser once again addressed the shelving of Batgirl, the film in which he played the pyromaniac heavy, Firefly.

“It’s tragic,” the actor said of Warner Bros. Discovery’s decision to write off the film.

Fraser continued, “It doesn’t engender trust among filmmakers and the studio. Leslie Grace was fantastic [as the titular heroine]. She’s a dynamo, just a spot-on performer. Everything that we shot was real and exciting and just the antithesis of doing a straightforward digital all green screen thing. They ran firetrucks around downtown Glasgow at 3 in the morning, and they had flamethrowers. It was a big-budget movie, but one that was just stripped down to the essentials.”

He lamented that everything directors Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah shot “felt real and exciting.”

Aronofsky, who helped Natalie Portman win an Oscar for Black Swan, and who most agree put Fraser on the Academy Award track with The Whale, called the Batgirl news “a disappointment for all the fans.”

And he was speaking from experience, as he explained he tried to helm a dark take on the Caped Crusader, only to have the studio pass.

“It was after Batman & Robin, the Joel Schumacher one,” Aronofsky recalled of the notorious 1997 franchise-chilling bomb. “That had been a big hiccup back then at Warner Bros., so I pitched them a rated-R, boiled down origin story of Batman …”

Aronofsky’s draft was based on Frank Miller‘s bruising Batman: Year One comic.

A rated-R superhero movie was, incidentally, ahead of its time back then, the filmmaker mused, considering the successes of Deadpool and Joker, the latter of which became not only a blockbuster, but an Oscar winner, set in the Batman universe.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

What’s Green Day teasing for ‘Nimrod’ album’s 25th anniversary?

What’s Green Day teasing for ‘Nimrod’ album’s 25th anniversary?
What’s Green Day teasing for ‘Nimrod’ album’s 25th anniversary?
Reprise Records

Is Green Day planning something for the 25th anniversary of Nimrod?

The band’s 1997 album celebrates the milestone this Friday, October 14. In a tweet Tuesday, Billie Joe Armstrong and company teased the occasion, writing, “Someone’s got a VERY big birthday on Friday…any guesses who??!”

The tweet is also accompanied by an image featuring the Roman numeral for 25, XXV.

Nimrod is Green Day’s fifth studio album, which has been certified double Platinum by the RIAA. It spawned the singles “Hitchin’ a Ride” and “Good Riddance (Time of Your Life),” which, despite being originally written as a breakup song, has become a staple of high school proms and graduations.

Meanwhile, Green Day is set to headline the 2023 edition of Las Vegas’ When We Were Young festival on October 21 of next year.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Five Finger Death Punch premieres videos for two ‘AfterLife’ songs, “Times Like These” & “Welcome to the Circus”

Five Finger Death Punch premieres videos for two ‘AfterLife’ songs, “Times Like These” & “Welcome to the Circus”
Five Finger Death Punch premieres videos for two ‘AfterLife’ songs, “Times Like These” & “Welcome to the Circus”
Better Noise Music

Five Finger Death Punch has premiered the videos for two songs off the band’s new album, AfterLife.

The clips accompany the tracks “Times Like These” and “Welcome to the Circus,” and introduce a continuing story set in a dystopian future. The concept will also relate to an upcoming Five Finger Death Punch graphic novel.

You can watch both videos streaming now on YouTube.

AfterLife, the ninth Five Finger Death Punch album, was released in August. The metal outfit is currently on tour in support of the record alongside Megadeth, The Hu and Fire from the Gods; the tour concludes this weekend.

Five Finger Death Punch will return to the road in November for a tour with country star Brantley Gilbert.

(“Welcome to the Circus” video contains uncensored profanity) 

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Luke Bryan remembers Willie Spence, the season 19 ‘American Idol’ runner-up who died in a car crash

Luke Bryan remembers Willie Spence, the season 19 ‘American Idol’ runner-up who died in a car crash
Luke Bryan remembers Willie Spence, the season 19 ‘American Idol’ runner-up who died in a car crash
ABC/Connie Chornuk

Luke Bryan is paying his respects to Willie Spence, the singer whose signature soulful voice brought him all the way to the finale of American Idol’s season 19.

Spence died from injuries sustained in a car accident on Tuesday, according to a local Tennessee news report, as well as a Tennessee Highway Patrol report obtained by ABC News. He was 23 years old.

In his reflection on Spence’s passing, Bryan — a country superstar and one of the American Idol judges — remembered Spence’s magnetism during his time on the show.

“Willie really did light up every room he walked into,” the singer wrote on social media. “He could change the mood instantly when he started singing. He will truly be missed.”

Spence first went viral as a teen with his 2017 cover performance of Rihanna’s “Diamonds,” a song he also used to audition for Idol in 2021. His performances wowed judges and fans throughout the season, and he ultimately came in second place to winner Chayce Beckham.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

LA3C Festival taps Megan Thee Stallion, Snoop Dogg for first culture fest

LA3C Festival taps Megan Thee Stallion, Snoop Dogg for first culture fest
LA3C Festival taps Megan Thee Stallion, Snoop Dogg for first culture fest
LA3C

The inaugural LA3C music festival will be held in Los Angeles at the end of this year with two days full of music, food and art. 

Kicking off at the Los Angeles State Historic Park on December 10, the event is designed to celebrate diverse and creative communities. 

Megan Thee Stallion is set to headline Saturday’s show, along with a performance by Snoop Dogg and DJing duties by DJ Mustard. Also in attendance will be California-based R&B group Free Nationals, singer/transgender rights activist Shea Diamond and more. 

Sunday’s show will see performances by Colombian singer Maluma.

Fans will have a chance to see surprise breakthrough artists who will appear during the Billboard After Dark party Saturday night. 

For more information, including the full two-day lineup and how to purchase tickets, visit LA3C.com.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

“Building love”: Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood share their passion for volunteering for Habitat For Humanity

“Building love”: Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood share their passion for volunteering for Habitat For Humanity
“Building love”: Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood share their passion for volunteering for Habitat For Humanity
ANDREW CABALLERO-REYNOLDS/AFP via Getty Images

Volunteering for Habitat For Humanity is a labor of love for Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood.

The couple has been volunteering for the organization since 2005 when they helped build homes along the Gulf Coast in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

Trisha reveals that she loves doing the physical labor of building a home, especially tasks on the job site that involve using a hammering or a nail gun.

“I like the jobs that require tools that are kind of aggressive. They call me the ‘Nail Gun Diva,’” she says. “I’ll do anything, but I like a job that requires hammering or nailing. And I do like that nail gun. It is so fast.”

Trisha says that building in Haiti after the devastating magnitude seven earthquake in 2010 was a sobering experience, so much so it inspired her and Garth to return the following year to see the impact of of their work.

“Habitat is a great reminder to me of how grateful I need to be on a daily basis. I believe the adage, ‘To whom much is given, from him much is expected,’” Trisha shares. “Part of my job in life is to give back, and this is a wonderful way for me to give back.”

Over the years, the country couple has become close friends with former President Jimmy Carter and his wife Rosalynn Carter, who have been working with Habitat For Humanity since 1984. Garth and Trisha are leading a build in Charlotte, N.C. in October 2023 in collaboration with The Carter Work Project.

“At some point you have to stop and just listen. The hammering of these hundreds and hundreds of hammers and you know what they’re doing, they’re building love, man,” Garth says. “And it’s the greatest feeling on the planet.”

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Thomas Rhett celebrates 10th anniversary with wife Lauren Akins: “10 years with my best friend”

Thomas Rhett celebrates 10th anniversary with wife Lauren Akins: “10 years with my best friend”
Thomas Rhett celebrates 10th anniversary with wife Lauren Akins: “10 years with my best friend”
ABC/Connie Chornuk

Thomas Rhett has a big anniversary to celebrate: He and his wife, Lauren Akins, got married 10 years ago on Wednesday. 

TR celebrated the big day on social media with a video and photo montage of their years together, including favorite family snaps, throwback shots from their wedding day and clips of their four daughters.

“10 years with my best friend,” he wrote in the caption of his post. “I legit don’t know sometimes if you are a real person or an Angel. I could not have dreamed up a better life if I tried. 10 years and four kids later, I love you more every single day.”

Thomas was just 22, and still in the early stages of forming his country music career, when he married Lauren in 2012. “Everybody was telling us not to … but we just fell in love at such a young age,” TR told People in 2016 about their decision to tie the knot.

Since then, the singer’s marriage and family life have been major components of his career. He’s put out several songs about Lauren, the first and perhaps most famous of which is “Die a Happy Man.”

Lauren’s become a star in her own right, too: In 2020, she put out a memoir called Live in Love: Growing Together Through Life’s Changes, which details their relationship from her perspective.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.