Suspected Stockton serial killer charged with three counts of murder, more charges expected

Suspected Stockton serial killer charged with three counts of murder, more charges expected
Suspected Stockton serial killer charged with three counts of murder, more charges expected
Stockton Police Department

(STOCKTON, Calif.) — The suspected Stockton, California, serial killer made his first court appearance Tuesday afternoon after police say he was apprehended while “out hunting” for another victim this weekend.

Wesley Brownlee, a 43-year-old who police say is linked to six slayings, has been charged with three counts of murder, with more charges expected, San Joaquin County District Attorney Tori Verber Salazar said at a news conference Tuesday.

Cell data linked the suspect to areas near the scenes of at least three murders, officials revealed in court, ABC Sacramento affiliate KXTV reported.

Brownlee was held without bail, KXTV reported.

“This individual thought he could come to our community and do harm — not in our house,” the district attorney said. “You do not get to come into our house and do this kind of crime … and not think that [the Stockton Police Department] is not gonna … find you and hold you fully accountable.”

Brownlee was a truck driver and moved to Stockton this summer, the district attorney said.

Authorities said they zeroed in on Brownlee from tips and surveilled him as he allegedly prowled the streets for another victim. Brownlee was arrested early Saturday while he was driving, Stockton police chief Stanley McFadden said.

Brownlee was apprehended while wearing dark clothing and a mask around his neck, according to McFadden. He was also armed with a gun, police said.

“He was on a mission to kill. He was out hunting,” McFadden said in a statement. “We are sure we stopped another killing.”

The six slayings — all fatal shootings of men — spanned from April 2021 to September 2022, according to police.

Five of the six killings were in Stockton; one was in Oakland, about 70 miles away. All of the shootings were at night or in the early morning.

A seventh victim, a 46-year-old woman, was shot in April 2021 and survived her injuries, police said.

A motive isn’t known.

The police chief said the suspect was near perfect in covering up his tracks and being careful.

“He didn’t make many mistakes. We know he purposely stayed in the dark,” McFadden said Monday.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Princeton seeks help finding missing student

Princeton seeks help finding missing student
Princeton seeks help finding missing student
HaizhanZheng/Getty Images

(PRINCETON, N.J.) — An undergraduate student at Princeton University has been reported missing, the school said.

“The Department of Public Safety is seeking information on the whereabouts of an undergraduate student, Misrach Ewunetie, who has been reported missing,” Princeton officials said on Twitter on Tuesday.

Ewunetie, 20, was last seen at about 3 a.m. on Friday, the school said.

“Anyone with information on her whereabouts should contact the Department of Public Safety at (609) 258-1000,” the school said.

She was last seen near Scully Hall on the school’s New Jersey campus, according to an alert sent to the Princeton community on Monday.

“She is 5 feet, 4 inches tall and weighs 130 pounds. She has brown eyes, black hair and light brown complexion,” the university said.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Missing Georgia toddler allegedly left in dumpster; police searching landfill for his body

Missing Georgia toddler allegedly left in dumpster; police searching landfill for his body
Missing Georgia toddler allegedly left in dumpster; police searching landfill for his body
Chatham County Police Department/Facebook

(SAVANNAH, Ga.) — Police in Savannah, Georgia, believe missing toddler Quinton Simon was left in a dumpster and authorities have now started scouring the local landfill for his body.

Police last week said they believe 20-month-old Quinton is dead and authorities named his mother, Leilani Simon, as the primary suspect. The little boy has been missing since Oct. 5.

No charges have been filed, Chatham County police chief Jeff Hadley said at a news conference Tuesday, adding that Leilani Simon remains the only suspect.

“We’re not ready to charge anyone yet. We still have work to do,” he said.

Hadley said Tuesday that police have started an “extensive search of the waste management landfill” in Chatham County. He said authorities believe Quinton “was placed in a specific dumpster,” which was eventually brought to the landfill.

The FBI’s Will Clarke said, “We are not just randomly searching this landfill,” stressing that evidence led police to the large property.

The landfill is the only focus of the current search, Hadley said.

Clarke added that authorities are not scouring the entire landfill.

He said, “We’ve brought in experts in landfill searches to guide us to the specific area where we’ll be searching.”

FBI agents from Atlanta and Quantico, Virginia, are on the scene to help conduct the “systematic search,” Clarke said.

Hadley called it “a physically, mentally and emotionally grueling task,” but he added, “I have every belief that we will find his remains here at the landfill.”

Quinton was last seen at his Savannah home around 6 a.m. on Oct. 5 by his mother’s boyfriend, the chief said. After Quinton’s mother woke up, she reported him missing around 9:40 a.m., he said.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Let the games begin: Blake Shelton shares preview of ’Barmageddon’

Let the games begin: Blake Shelton shares preview of ’Barmageddon’
Let the games begin: Blake Shelton shares preview of ’Barmageddon’
Helen Healey/NBC via Getty Images

Batten down the hatches for Blake Shelton‘s Barmageddon

In May, Blake announced that he and The Voice host Carson Daly were teaming up for a show on USA Network called Barmageddon, hosted by professional wrestler Nikki Bella. 

Now, they’re offering a look into what viewers can expect when they tune in. “Barmageddon is a show when the celebrities you love get viral video sensations a shot at redemption playing some crazy games,” Carson describes of the show’s premise, adding that the games are similar to ones you’ll find in local bar, but are “bigger and better.”  

Filmed at Blake’s bar Ole Red in Nashville, the show features Gwen Stefani, Kane Brown, Chris Young, Elle King and other celebrities who are subjected to games including ax throwing, larger-than-life beer pong, basketball, curling with giant bins and more.

In a teaser for the series, Chris can be seen playing cannon corn hole while Gwen tries her hand at ax throwing and Sheryl has to down a glass of tequila, tabasco sauce and mayonnaise. 

If someone loses a game, they can spin the Wheel of Redemption and if they’re willing to complete the challenge related to a viral video that the wheel lands on, they’re back in the game.  

“When people watch Barmageddonthat’s your ticket to have the most fun you could ever imagine on TV,” Carson says.

Barmageddon premieres on December 5 at 9 p.m. ET on USA Network. 

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

August Alsina almost didn’t join ‘The Surreal Life’ due to Jada Pinkett Smith entanglement, says he was “trying to protect myself”

August Alsina almost didn’t join ‘The Surreal Life’ due to Jada Pinkett Smith entanglement, says he was “trying to protect myself”
August Alsina almost didn’t join ‘The Surreal Life’ due to Jada Pinkett Smith entanglement, says he was “trying to protect myself”
Bennett Raglin/BET/Getty Images

Many people know August Alsina from his popular R&B songs like “I Luv This S***” and “No Love.” Some may recognize his name tied to Jada Pinkett Smith and their highly publicized “entanglement.” In July 2020, Smith appeared as her own guest on Red Table Talk to address the relationship she had with Alsina during a period of separation from her husband, Will Smith.

In a recent interview with Entertainment Tonight, Alsina spoke about the scandal and his reservations about joining the upcoming seventh season of the reality TV show The Surreal Life because of it. 

“There was one side of me not wanting to do it, trying to protect myself,” he told ET, “and then the other side of it was, well, it gave me the opportunity to allow people to see and experience me and my authentic energy as opposed to the narrative that had been kind of clouding over my life for quite a while.”

Alsina says finally agreeing to do the show wasn’t easy: “I felt like, ‘Hmm, do I really want to do this?’ Because I didn’t want to go into a situation where people would grab for low-hanging fruit,” he said.

The 30-year-old artist says he has “absolutely zero” ties to Smith and her family and after turning down the show “about 10 times,” he worked up the courage to join. 

He said of his role on the series, “Somehow I, you know, was tapped upon to kind of help deal with situations in the house amongst people for situations that I actually wasn’t a part of to even see exactly what happened.”

Alsina joins Tamar BraxtonDennis Rodman and others on season 7 of The Surreal Life, which premieres October 24 on VH1.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Lauren Bushnell and Chris Lane welcome baby number two

Lauren Bushnell and Chris Lane welcome baby number two
Lauren Bushnell and Chris Lane welcome baby number two
Jason Kempin/ACMA2019/Getty Images for ACM

Lauren Bushnell and Chris Lane are officially a party of four.

The Bachelor alum and her country star husband, who are already parents to 1-year-old son Dutton Walker,  welcomed their second child on Sunday, they announced Tuesday. 

Taking to Instagram, Lauren shared a heartwarming video of Dutton meeting their newborn son for the first time, with the simple caption, “10.16.22.” In the video, Chris comes into the hospital room with Dutton, where he joins the mom of two and his brother and erupts into soft laughter. 

Chris also shared the video along with a sweet photo and wrote, “Life just got 8 Pounds Sweeter! Family of 4 Now!!” 

The couple, who tied the knot in October 2019, first announced they were expecting a second child in June and revealed it was a baby boy in September. 

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Dorothy raises “middle finger to my demons” with “Rest in Peace”

Dorothy raises “middle finger to my demons” with “Rest in Peace”
Dorothy raises “middle finger to my demons” with “Rest in Peace”
ABC Audio

Dorothy‘s “Rest in Peace” has been doing everything but resting.

The single gave Dorothy Martin and company their highest-ranking hit on Billboard‘s Mainstream Rock Airplay chart, peaking at #2 over the summer. Dorothy has continued to rock the song live over the past couple months while playing headline shows and touring with Dirty Honey.

“It’s been awesome,” Martin tells ABC Audio of playing “Rest in Peace.” “That is definitely one of our heavier songs.”

“Rest in Peace” was originally written by songwriter Scott Stevens, who’s worked with bands including Halestorm and Shinedown. In presenting the song to her, Martin felt that Stevens “took the words out of my mouth.”

“I was able to embody it and give the vocal performance from my heart,” Martin says.

On “Rest in Peace,” Dorothy isn’t exactly in mourning. Instead, Martin seems to be saying “rest in peace” to a toxic relationship.

“It can sound like a breakup song,” Martin shares. “But the way I interpreted it, as being someone in recovery, was kinda like a middle finger to my demons. So it is a kiss-off song to that.”

“But it’s whatever the fans want it to be,” she adds. “It could be a breakup song. It’s open for interpretation, which is the cool thing about music.”

“Rest in Peace” appears on the new Dorothy album, Gifts from the Holy Ghost, which is out now. The record also includes the follow-up single “Black Sheep.”

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Pink Floyd album designer says 50th anniversary celebration of ‘Dark Side of the Moon’ in the works

Pink Floyd album designer says 50th anniversary celebration of ‘Dark Side of the Moon’ in the works
Pink Floyd album designer says 50th anniversary celebration of ‘Dark Side of the Moon’ in the works
Sony Music

Next year marks the 50th anniversary of Pink Floyd‘s landmark 1973 album, The Dark Side of the Moon, and according to Aubrey “Po” Powell, who helped create many of the band’s album covers, big plans are in the works to celebrate the milestone.

Along with the late Storm Thorgerson, Powell co-founded the English graphic-design firm Hipgnosis, which began collaborating with Pink Floyd on the band’s second album, 1968’s A Saucerful of Secrets. Most recently, Po created the updated cover of the 2022 reissue of the band’s 1977 record, Animals, and he tells ABC Audio he’s now working on a new project marking The Dark Side of the Moon‘s 50th anniversary.

While Powell doesn’t share specific details about the project, he explains, “We’re planning to do a lot of things, is all I can say. And, you know, if it all comes off, great. But, you know, who knows?”

He adds, “[A]t the moment, it’s looking very positive to a great year of celebration of Dark Side of the Moon next year. It is.”

Powell also comments about the iconic album cover, which he and Thorgerson designed, “[It] still seems to stand the test of time, which is wonderful. And I’m very proud of that.”

Released on March 1, 1973, The Dark Side of the Moon was Pink Floyd’s eighth studio album and its first to top the Billboard 200. The album has gone one to be certified 15-times Platinum by the RIAA for sales of over 15 million copies in the U.S.

The album featured the band’s first top-40 hit in the U.S., “Money,” which peaked at #15 on the Billboard Hot 100. It also included such enduring songs as “Breathe (In the Air),” “Time,” “Us and Them,” “Brain Damage” and “Eclipse.”

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Lauren Bushnell and Chris Lane welcome baby number 2

Lauren Bushnell and Chris Lane welcome baby number two
Lauren Bushnell and Chris Lane welcome baby number two
Jason Kempin/ACMA2019/Getty Images for ACM

Lauren Bushnell and Chris Lane are officially a party of four!

The Bachelor alum and her country star husband, who are already parents to 1-year-old son Dutton Walker,  welcomed their second child on Sunday, they announced Tuesday. 

Taking to Instagram, Lauren shared a heartwarming video of Dutton meeting their newborn son for the first time, with the simple caption, “10.16.22.” In the video, Chris comes into the hospital room with Dutton, where he joins the mom of two and his brother and erupts into soft laughter. 

Chris also shared the video along with a sweet photo and wrote, “Life just got 8 Pounds Sweeter! Family of 4 Now!!” 

The couple, who tied the knot in October 2019, first announced they were expecting a second child in June and revealed it was a baby boy in September. 

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Scoreboard roundup — 10/18/22

Scoreboard roundup — 10/18/22
Scoreboard roundup — 10/18/22
iStock

(NEW YORK) — Here are the scores from Tuesday’s sports events:

MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL

AMERICAN LEAGUE PLAYOFFS
NY Yankees 5, Cleveland 1

NATIONAL LEAGUE PLAYOFFS
Philadelphia 2, San Diego 0

NATIONAL BASKETBALL ASSOCIATION
Boston 126, Philadelphia 117
Golden State 123, LA Lakers 109

NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE
New Jersey 4, Anaheim 2
Ottawa 7, Boston 5
Philadelphia 3, Tampa Bay 2
Columbus 4, Vancouver 3 (OT)
NY Islanders 5, San Jose 2
Buffalo 4, Edmonton 2
Calgary 3, Vegas 2
Los Angeles 4, Nashville 3 (SO)

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.