Dua Lipa accidentally sparked rumors she was dating comedian Trevor Noah when the two were caught having dinner together. Turns out, she had invited him to be her guest on her At Your Service podcast — and we finally know what the two discussed.
For the record, the rumors of a potential romance were quickly squashed with sources insisting they’re just friends.
Still, the podcast showed the two are fond of each other. Noah praised Dua and told her, “I said to my friend one day, ‘Every time I see Dua Lipa, it’s at an award show. So, now that means if I see her, my life is going well.'”
Formalities aside, the two bonded over Noah’s book, Born a Crime, which chronicles the comedian’s beginnings growing up in apartheid South Africa. That led to them discussing the sacrifices their parents made in order to give them better lives.
Noah also addressed his forthcoming exit from The Daily Show. He said his time on the show has been “a hell of a ride,” but he’s ready to move on to bigger challenges.
As for what those could possibly be, he kept his cards close to his chest.
Papa Roach has shared a video for the acoustic version of “No Apologies,” a single off the band’s new album, Ego Trip.
The clip captures Jacoby Shaddix leading an unplugged performance of the song filmed in an auditorium on the University of California, Davis, campus. You can watch it now streaming on YouTube.
Papa Roach previously released an acoustic “No Apologies” in September. The original, electric version hit #1 on Billboard‘s Mainstream Rock Airplay chart.
Ego Trip, the 11th Papa Roach album, was released in April. It also features the singles “Kill the Noise” and “Stand Up.”
Lee Brice appears to be planning to release some Christmas music this year. He teased a new holiday tune called “Santa Claus Was My Uber Driver,” set for release on October 28.
Tyler Hubbard just dropped the music video for his song “I’m the Only One,” which comes off his Dancin’ in the Country EP.
Tanya Tucker released her newest song, “Ready As I’ll Never Be,” on Friday. Co-written with Brandi Carlile, it’s the first new music Tanya’s put out since her Grammy-winning While I’m Livin’ album, which came out in 2020.
Billy Currington and Jessie James Decker have a new duet out, called “I Still Love You.”
Alec Baldwin is honoring the memory of Halyna Hutchins.
To mark the one-year anniversary of Hutchins’ death, the actor shared a photo of her operating a camera with the caption, “one year ago today….” Hutchins was a cinematographer for the film Rust that Baldwin is starring in and producing.
Hutchins, 42, was accidentally killed on the set near Santa Fe, New Mexico, on October 21, 2021, when the prop gun that Baldwin was holding discharged a live round of ammunition. Director Joel Souza was also injured.
Baldwin and assistant director Dave Halls insist Baldwin did not pull the trigger and did not know the gun was loaded.
Filming has been on hiatus since the tragedy, but is scheduled to resume in January 2023 following a settlement with Halyna’s husband, Matthew Hutchins. The Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office is still conducting a criminal investigation. No charges have been filed against Baldwin.
It’s well documented by Swifties that the word “Karma” has a peculiar connection with Taylor Swift. It’s long been believed it’s the name of a secret album Taylor was forced to scrap prior to Reputation — and the word has popped up in the years since.
Fast-forward to 2022 and the new Midnights album, which contains a track titled “Karma.” When Taylor revealed the song’s title in the weeks leading up to Midnights‘ release, fans went wild over what the track could be about.
Now, we have our answer from Taylor. She explained to Zane Lowe on Apple Music’s New Music Daily, “So one of the themes about Midnights is how you’re feeling in the middle of the night and that can be intense self-hatred. You go through these very polarizing emotions when you’re up late at night and your brain just spirals.”
She continued, “It can spiral downward or it can spiral way up and you can just be really feeling yourself. And ‘Karma’ is written from a perspective of feeling, like, really happy, really proud of the way your life is, feeling like this must be a reward for doing stuff right.”
“It’s a song that I really love because I think we all need some of those moments. You know, we can’t just be beating ourselves up all the time,” Taylor added. “You have to have these moments where you’re like, ‘You know what, karma is my boyfriend and that’s it.'”
Fans believe the pointed track takes aim at her nemeses Kanye West and Scooter Braun, but Taylor didn’t give those rumors any oxygen.
Knowing her, she’s letting her scathing lyrics do the talking for her.
(WASHINGTON) — Donald Trump has been formally subpoenaed by the House select committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol.
The subpoena requires Trump to turn over documents by Nov. 4 and to appear for one or several days of deposition under oath beginning on Nov. 14.
“We recognize that a subpoena to a former President is a significant and historic step,” Rep. Bennie Thompson, D-Miss., and Rep. Liz Cheney, R-Wyo., wrote in a letter to Trump on Friday. “We do not take this action lightly.”
Thompson previously said the committee had an “obligation” to seek an interview with the former president, who they’ve argued was central in an attempted coup to remain in office.
“As demonstrated in our hearings, we have assembled overwhelming evidence, including from dozens of your former appointees and staff, that you personally orchestrated and oversaw a multi-part effort to overturn the 2020 presidential election and to obstruct the peaceful transfer of power,” the committee chairs wrote Friday.
That effort, Thompson and Cheney wrote, included attempts to “corrupt the Department of Justice” and “maliciously disseminating false allegations of fraud” as well as “summoning tens of thousands” of supporters to Washington.
The unanimous decision to compel Trump’s testimony came at the end of the panel’s tenth — and possible last — hearing, which again focused on Trump’s behavior in the days before and after the riot.
The committee wants Trump to testify about his interactions with several individuals who’ve invoked their Fifth Amendment rights when questioned by the committee. That list includes his former political adviser Roger Stone; former White House national security adviser Michael Flynn; Trump’s former elections lawyer John Eastman; former Trump Justice Department official Jeffrey Clark; and chair of the Arizona Republican Party Kelli Ward.
“These Fifth Amendment assertions — made by persons with whom you interacted — related directly to you and your conduct,” the two panel leaders wrote in their Friday letter. “They provide specific examples where your truthful testimony under oath will be important.”
The committee on Friday made clear that the deposition, which is under oath, will be before committee investigators and members. But the subpoena does not specifically request that Trump appear for a hearing.
“In short, you were at the center of the first and only effort by any U.S. President to overturn an election and obstruct the peaceful transition of power, ultimately culminating in a bloody attack on our own capital and on the Congress itself,” Thompson and Cheney wrote Friday. “The evidence demonstrates that you knew this activity was illegal and unconstitutional, and also knew that your assertions of fraud were false. But, to be clear, Even if you know claim that you actually believed your own false election claims, that is not a defense; your subjective belief could not render this condo justified, excusable, or legal.”
Trump first responded to the committee’s vote to subpoena him in a series of posts to his conservative social media platform Truth Social.
“Why didn’t the Unselect Committee ask me to testify months ago?” Trump wrote, calling the committee a “total BUST.”
Later, in a memo addressed to Thompson, Trump continued to rail against the committee but didn’t address the subpoena.
“Despite very poor television ratings, the Unselect Committee has perpetuated a Show Trial the likes of which this Country has never seen before,” Trump said in the letter, in which he also continued to make false claims about the 2020 election.
Trump has told advisers he’d welcome a live appearance, according to sources familiar with his thinking, but has yet to say publicly whether he’ll cooperate.
Cheney said there was “no disagreement” among members on whether to subpoena Trump.
“We all felt that our obligation is to seek his testimony, that the American people deserve to hear directly from him, that it has to be under oath, that he has to be held accountable,” Cheney said this week during an appearance at a Harvard Institute of Politics forum.
Cheney said she’s “assuming Trump will fulfill his legal obligation and honor the subpoena.”
“If that doesn’t happen, then we’ll take the steps we need to take after that,” Cheney said. “But I don’t want to go too far down that path at this point.”
Experts said if Trump refuses to cooperate, the committee could move to have the full House hold him in contempt and refer the matter to the Justice Department for prosecution — something it’s done for four other individuals related to the Jan. 6 investigation.
Trump could also try to drag the matter out by fighting the subpoena in court, the experts said.
The Jan. 6 committee is expected to wrap up its investigation by the end of this year by releasing a final report on its findings and recommendations.
Angelina Jolie is set to star in a new biopic that follows the life of American-born Greek opera singer Maria Callas.
Titled Maria, the film comes from director Pablo Larraín and screenwriter Steven Knight — the team behind last year’s Spencer, which starred Kristen Stewart as Princess Diana.
According to Variety, the upcoming film will tell the “tumultuous, beautiful and tragic story of the life of the world’s greatest opera singer, relived and reimagined during her final days in 1970s Paris.”
“I take very seriously this responsibility to Maria’s life and legacy,” Jolie said. “I will give all I can to meet the challenge.”
Larraín expressed his excitement at getting to take on this project with Jolie.
“Having the chance to combine my two most deep and personal passions, cinema and opera, has been a long-awaited dream,” Larraín told Variety. “To do this with Angelina, a supremely brave and curious artist, is a fascinating opportunity. A true gift.”
Channing Tatum is ready for even more magic in Miami.
Magic Mike’s Last Dance, the surprise third installment of Tatum’s movies about male strippers, is set to release on Valentine’s Day weekend in 2023. Tatum announced the news via Instagram on Friday, where he shared a photo of his character Mike Lane pulling up his shirt for none other than Salma Hayek.
“All good things begin in Miami,” Tatum wrote, also announcing that the Magic Mike Live Tour is now open in that city.
Hayek also posted the photo, writing, “A tease of what’s to come in theaters this Valentine’s Day weekend. You’re not going to want to miss #MagicMikesLastDance.”
The film is directed by Steven Soderbergh, who helmed the original Magic Mike movie back in 2012. Soderbergh said in a statement that watching the Magic Mike Live Las Vegas show is what made him want to make another film.
“As soon as I saw what Channing … and the Magic Mike choreographic team did with the live show, I said we have to make another movie,” Soderbergh said. “Mike Lane’s dream of connecting people through dance must be realized!”
Magic Mike’s Last Dance will be available on HBO Max and in theaters starting February 10, 2023.
(MIAMI) — A Florida man had his election fraud charges dismissed on Friday, making him the first of 20 people who Gov. Ron DeSantis announced had been charged with voter fraud in August, to beat his case.
The ruling by a Miami judge may now pave the way for similar motions and rulings in the other 19 election fraud cases, which garnered national attention and controversy when they were announced on Aug. 18. DeSantis said at the time that they were the “opening salvo” by Florida’s newly funded Office of Election Crimes and Security to crack down on voter fraud.
Robert Lee Wood, who faced one count of making a false affirmation on a voter application, and one count of voting as an unqualified elector, had his charges dismissed on the grounds that the prosecutor lacked appropriate jurisdiction.
Wood was facing up to five years in prison and $5,000 in fines and fees, for allegedly illegally voting in the 2020 election.
When the charges were announced on Aug. 18, DeSantis said at a press conference that local prosecutors had been “loath” to take up election fraud cases.
“Now we have the ability with the attorney general and statewide prosecutor to bring those [cases] on behalf of the state of Florida,” he said.
But a judge found on Friday that the statewide prosecutor did not have jurisdiction over one case in Miami. Statewide prosecutors, which are an extension of the Attorney General’s office, are prosecuting all of the election fraud cases that were brought in August.
In order for the statewide prosecutor to have jurisdiction, the crimes alleged must have occurred in at least two judicial circuits.
The judge agreed with the defense’s argument that the alleged violations, applying to vote and voting while ineligible, only occurred in Miami-Dade County. Thus, the statewide prosecutor was found to not have jurisdiction.
Statewide prosecutors argued that the alleged crimes were committed in Leon County in addition to Miami-Dade County, because the defendants’ applications and votes were later transmitted to the Department of State in Tallahassee.
The defense argued the alleged offenses only happened in Miami-Dade.
The judge sided with the defense, even citing Shakespeare’s “Henry VI” in his order granting the motion to dismiss.
“His arms spread wider than a dragon’s wings,” the judge wrote in his order, in reference to the statewide prosecutor.
“How much wider even than that does [the statewide prosecutor] seek to extend its reach?”
“It is an old truth that all politics is local,” the judge added. “[The statewide prosecutor] seeks to stand that old truth on its head”
Larry Davis, the attorney for Wood, said that his motion to dismiss on grounds of jurisdiction has been circulated to attorneys representing the other election fraud defendants.
The statewide prosecutor can now appeal the case. If unsuccessful, the Democratic Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle will also have the option to file charges.
Just days before Florida’s primary in August, DeSantis said at a press conference that 20 people who had cast their ballots in 2020 had been charged with voter fraud. They had all been convicted of murder or felony sex offenses, DeSantis added, which by Florida law stripped them of their right to vote.
“Yet they went ahead and voted anyways. That is against the law, and now they’re going to pay the price for it,” the governor said.
Those charged with illegally voting were sent voting cards by the state, according to the Tampa Bay Times. Many of them told agents that they believed they were eligible, according to court records.
That includes Wood, who was charged with second-degree murder in 1991. Wood registered to vote in 2020 after being approached by a voter rights advocate at a grocery store. Wood claimed he did not fill out the form, rather he just signed it, according to the affidavit of arrest filled out by an FDLE agent.
The form includes a section which asks the applicant to either verify that they are not a felon, or if so, to declare that their right to vote had been restored.
Voter rights advocates say that provision is especially confusing because of the passage of Amendment 4 to the Florida Constitution in 2018, which restored all felons their rights to vote except for those convicted of sex felonies or murder charges.
Later, another condition was added requiring voters with felonies to pay off their fines and fees before having their rights restored.
Republican Florida state legislator Jeff Brandes, who authored Amendment 4, criticized the 20 arrests in a tweet during DeSantis’ press conference, urging the state to look at the intent of the voters.
“It was our intent that those ineligible would be granted some grace by the state if they registered without intent to commit voter fraud,” he tweeted on Aug. 18.
Mark Earley, president of Florida’s election supervisor association, told ABC News that the local supervisors do not have the resources to check a prospective voter’s criminal record. That is the Department of State’s obligation, he said.
Election supervisors check the applications and then transmit them to Tallahassee, where Division of Elections’ staff can check convictions against voter rolls.
Unless an election supervisor receives a packet from the Department of State which contains information that says a voter is ineligible, the voter is sent a voting card, Earley said.
But due to a backlog, as described by a Divisions of Elections official in a 2020 federal case, Florida was “struggling” to come up with a process to identify ineligible felons, The Tampa Bay Times reported.
It’s unclear if the Department of State ever sent those packets to local election officials. But local election officials sent all 20 voter cards to the arrested voters, according to the Tampa Bay Times. The former head of the Office of Election Crimes and Security Pete Antonacci, sent a letter reviewed by ABC News to local elections supervisors on the day of the governor’s announcement, telling them “through no fault of your own” convicted felons voted in their counties.
Neil Volz, the director of the Florida Rights Restoration Coalition, who helped Brandes with Amendment 4, said in a statement that Friday’s ruling, “strengthens our resolve to continue to place people over politics.”
The ruling in Wood’s case is the first disposition of the 18 cases that were announced by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, following the DeSantis announcement.
Christina Aguilera celebrates the 20th anniversary of her Stripped album on Saturday. Ahead of the milestone, she dropped a brand new remix of the standout track “Beautiful” by DJ Benny Benassi.
Elton John and Britney Spears have released a remix of their “Hold Me Closer” collab, which is by Purple Disco Machine. The German producer infuses a nu-disco beat to the celebrated track.
Shakira has released the heartbreak anthem “Monotonía” with Latin superstar Ozuna. The two also dropped the song’s official music video, which sees Shakira put her heart on display — literally — and do everything she can to protect it. This is the second offering off Shakira’s rumored 12th album following the previously released “Te Felicito.”
Carly Rae Jepsen has released her fifth album, The Loneliest Time, which she says is “her baby.” She said on Instagram, “This album came together in isolation but it came alive on the road. Releasing The Loneliest Time has been fun, healing, scary, silly – somehow all at once!” She teased, “I’ve never been quite so open in my writing before.”