Puscifer has shared a new live video for the song “Man Overboard,” taken from the band’s recently premiered Parole Violator streaming concert.
The virtual show featured a full-album performance of Maynard James Keenan and company’s 2011 album, Conditions of My Parole. It premiered via the band’s Puscifer TV site last Friday alongside another streaming concert, titled V Is for Versatile. Archives of both streams will be available to watch through Monday, November 7.
You can watch the “Man Overboard” performance streaming now on YouTube.
Parole Violator and V Is for Versatile will be released as live albums later in November.
Puscifer is currently on a U.S. tour in support of the band’s latest album, 2020’s Existential Reckoning.
Just as TV personality and host Van Lathan and producer Mona Scott-Young were scheduled to chat with ABC Audio about their new WE TV show, Hip Hop Homicides, the music world was coming to terms with another murder, that of Takeoff from Migos.
Takeoff, born Kirshnik Khari Ball, was shot and killed in Houston early Tuesday morning.
The show, which debuts Thursday, investigates what’s become a string of murders in the hip-hop community, from Pop Smoke to XXXTentacion —and now 28-year-old Takeoff.
“We don’t know what’s going on, but there’s nothing that’s going to come out that’s going to make it make sense,” Lathan says. “I can tell you one thing: whatever was the reason behind this, it wasn’t worth it.”
While the rap community previously lost Tupac Shakur and Biggie Smalls to crime, Lathan says the show taught him something new is going on. “Everything is changed … when you start to dissect it, you start to kind of get the feeling that nothing is the way it used to be, and that’s being reflected in the callous way a lot of these murders are happening. The brazen way.”
He adds, “When you have the clout, which is poison … The clout plus social media, plus some of the aspects of the music, is just this cauldron of dysfunction.”
Scott-Young comments, “The amplification, the ability to see the gruesome details play out right in front of you. It’s an assault on our sensibilities, as, you know, human beings, you know, coexisting on a planet together … we are so desensitized. It’s all part of a larger affliction that we really have to get to the core of, or we’re just going to become more and more diseased in the way that we’ve come to accept these horrible, horrible occurrences.”
(KANSAS CITY, Mo.) — Former Kansas City Chiefs assistant coach Britt Reid was sentenced to three years in prison for a drunk driving crash that injured five people, including one child severely, according to an attorney for the victims.
Reid, 37, pleaded guilty in September to driving while intoxicated in connection with the Kansas City crash. He had faced up to four years in prison as part of a plea deal.
Reid, the son of Chiefs head coach Andy Reid, was driving his pickup truck near Arrowhead Stadium on Feb. 4, 2021, when he struck two vehicles that had stopped along the side of the highway. He had a blood alcohol content of 0.113 and was driving 84 mph in a 65 mph zone at the time of the incident, according to court documents.
Ariel Young, who was 5 years old at the time, was severely injured in the crash. She suffered “life-threatening injuries” and a “severe traumatic brain injury, a parietal fracture, brain contusions and subdural hematomas,” according to court documents.
The victims have spoken out against the plea deal and had hoped Reid would receive the maximum sentence. Prior to taking the guilty plea, Reid faced up to seven years in prison, with a trial expected to begin in September.
Ariel, now 6, attended the sentencing hearing Tuesday afternoon, entering the Kansas City courthouse with a shirt that had the words “Ariel strong” on it.
Her mother, Felicia Miller, prepared a victim’s impact statement that was read in court, detailing how the crash has impacted Ariel’s life.
“Today, Ariel drags her right foot when she walks. Next month we’re going to see a doctor about leg braces. She has terrible balance,” she wrote. “She takes longer to process information than her peers. She will have to be in special ed. She wears thick glasses that she never wore before. This is our life.”
Miller wrote that she does not accept past apologies from Reid for what happened. She wrote that Reid should never have been offered a plea deal and the victims are “offended” he asked for probation.
“Ariel’s life is forever changed because of Britt Reid. Her life will be dealing with the damage that Britt Reid did,” she wrote.
Reid addressed Ariel and her mother in court and apologized again, saying, “My family and I are in your corner,” according to Kansas City ABC affiliate KMBC.
Tom Porto, the attorney for the five victims in the crash, said in a statement that the victims are “outraged the defendant was not sentenced to the maximum sentence allowable by law.”
“No amount of prison time will ever be enough to punish the defendant for the pain and suffering he caused this family and the ongoing difficulties that Ariel will continue to endure for the rest of her life,” he continued.
In a statement provided to KMBC, Reid’s attorney, J.R. Hobbs, said his client “respects the court’s decision and appreciates the time and attention given to this matter.”
Reid “sincerely regrets and accepts responsibility for his conduct” and prays for Ariel’s “continued recovery,” the statement continued.
During a plea hearing on Sept. 12, Reid apologized for his “huge mistake.”
“I really regret what I did,” he said, according to KMBC.
At one point he turned to Ariel’s family and said, “I didn’t mean to hurt anyone that night,” KMBC reported.
When the judge asked the family if they had anything to say, KMBC reported that Miller said, “My family and I are opposed to the plea deal. I don’t think he should receive it.”
Reid was a linebackers coach for the Chiefs at the time of the crash and during the team’s Super Bowl win in February 2020. He was released by the team shortly after the incident.
In November 2021, the Chiefs and Porto announced that the team worked out a plan to help pay for Ariel’s medical care.
Reid has previously served prison time over a driving-related incident.
He pleaded guilty to simple assault and flashing a gun at another driver in a road rage incident in 2007, according to Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, court records, and served prison time. While in prison, he also pleaded guilty to a charge of driving under the influence of a controlled substance from a separate incident, according to court documents.
ABC News’ Ivan Pereira contributed to this report.
Billy Joel has donated $250,000 to Hurricane Ian relief via his charity, The Joel Foundation.
Ian was the fifth strongest hurricane ever to hit the continental U.S. Residents of Fort Myers and Southwest Florida will benefit from the donation to the Lee County Strong Hurricane Ian Relief Fund. The money will go toward rebuilding efforts, as well as to the local maritime community and school music programs.
In a statement, the Piano Man and his wife, Alexis, note that Florida is their “winter home” and that living through their own experience with Superstorm Sandy a decade ago has motivated them to “help those less fortunate.”
Over the years, The Joel Foundation has pledged and made over $7 million in charitable donations.
Billy has a scheduled show in Florida in early 2023: He’ll play at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Hollywood, Florida, on January 27.
(WASHINGTON) — Rep. Liz Cheney said the House Jan. 6 committee is in talks with former President Donald Trump’s lawyers about his potential testimony.
“The committee is in discussions with President Trump’s attorneys and he has an obligation to comply,” Cheney, the vice chair of the committee, said Tuesday during a discussion with PBS journalist Judy Woodruff at Cleveland State University.
“We treat this and take this very seriously,” Cheney added. “This is not a situation where the committee is going to put itself at the mercy of Donald Trump in terms of his efforts to create a circus.”
The House committee took the historic step of formally issuing a subpoena to Trump on Oct. 21.
Trump faces his first deadline this Friday, Nov. 4, the date the subpoena requires him to turn over documents. The subpoena also requires him to appear for one or more days of deposition beginning around Nov. 14.
“As demonstrated in our hearings, we have assembled overwhelming evidence, including from dozens of your former appointees and staff, that you personally orchestrated and oversaw a multi-part effort to overturn the 2020 presidential election and to obstruct the peaceful transfer of power,” Cheney and Chair Bennie Thompson, D-Miss., wrote in a letter to Trump.
Trump has not publicly said whether or not he will cooperate with the subpoena. According to sources familiar with his thinking, Trump told advisers he’d welcome a live appearance before the panel. It doesn’t appear the committee is willing to give Trump the benefit of an unfiltered megaphone to repeat falsehoods about the 2020 election.
David Warrington, an attorney for Trump, said the day the issue was subpoenaed they would “review and analyze it, and will respond as appropriate to this unprecedented action.”
Committee members have been split about whether they would want Trump to testify in a live setting, but the panel’s been clear that any testimony would need to happen under oath.
“We haven’t made determinations about the format itself but it will be done under oath, it will be done potentially over multiple days,” Cheney told Woodruff on Tuesday. “We have significant questions based on the evidence that we’ve developed and what we know already about the extent to which he was personally and directly involved in every aspect of the effort.”
Woodruff pressed Cheney on the odds that Trump will testify or not.
“I think he has a legal obligation to testify but that doesn’t always carry weight with Donald Trump,” Cheney said.
Asked if she believes the committee should make a criminal referral to the Justice Department should Trump refuse to comply, Cheney said she didn’t want to get ahead of the panel’s work.
“The committee has been working in a very collaborative way and I would anticipate we won’t have disagreements about that, but we’ll have to make those decisions as we come to it,” she said.
The Jan. 6 committee will conclude its work by the end of the year and produce a report on its findings and recommendations to Congress.
– ABC News’ Katherine Faulders contributed to this report.
Pharrell Williams has cooked something up with BTS that he says is amazing.
Pharrell and BTS’ RM teased their secret collab in a Rolling Stoneinterview; it will appear on the “Happy” singer’s forthcoming album, Phriends.
“It’s the volume one. You guys [BTS] are on there, obviously,” Pharrell said before pumping the brakes. “I’m actually talking about this way more than I’m supposed to, but it’s a song from my album that [BTS] sang and it’s amazing.”
“I just love this song,” RM cryptically added of the single. The two declined to reveal its name or release date.
RM also announced his solo album is “90 percent” done and jumped at Pharrell’s offer to help him finish it.
Elsewhere in the interview, RM reminisced about his first concert. “My first performance was in front of 10 people in some small clubs when I was, like, 15. And I forgot most of the lyrics,” he confessed, which led him to believe he was “not a star type.”
Now that he’s selling out stadiums as a member of BTS, RM admits he is struggling with the pressure of being an ambassador for the Asian community. He said he began doubting his success and found himself questioning, “Am I that good? Do I deserve all the responsibilities?”
Pharrell confessed he encountered those insecurities back in 2006 when his In My Mind album “didn’t do what I wanted it to do.”
He added that caused him to reevaluate his purpose and find the “real, true meaning” of his art. Pharrell advised RM to do some inner reflection and determine who he wants to be so he can work past those insecurities.
En Vogue is celebrating the 30th anniversary of their 1992, triple-Platinum album, Funky Divas, with their first livestream concert.
The performance by Cindy Herron, Terry Ellis and Rhona Bennett will be available in more than 30 countries on Tuesday, November 8, at 7 p.m. PT/ 10 p.m. ET at HITKOR.com.
“Performing and bringing our music alive on stage has been a ‘secret to our success’ thanks to our fans that have been with us from the beginning,” lead singer Herron says in a statement. “We’re excited to partner with HITKOR for a unique and innovative experience that will now bring our performance to fans around the world.”
Tickets are on sale now and available only on the HITKOR website.
Funky Divas featured three RIAA-certified Gold singles: “My Lovin’ (You’re Never Gonna Get It),” “Giving Him Something He Can Feel” and “Free Your Mind.” The album earned an American Music Award for Favorite Soul/R&B Album and a Soul Train Award for Best R&B/Soul Album Group, Band or Duo.
Prior to the streaming concert, En Vogue will perform with Bell Biv DeVoe, Tony! Toni! Tone! and Stokley from Mint Condition on Saturday, November 5, in Houston.
In honor of Veterans Day, the Country Music Hall of Fame will provide free admission to active-duty and retired armed services members and up to three guests on November 11. See the museum’s full schedule of Veterans Day programming.
Nate Smith performs an acoustic rendition of his top-15 hit “Whiskey On You” as part of the Opry NextStage Class of 2022. Watch a clip here.
Over his storied career, Bob Dylan has been inspired by many things — but who knew two of those things were coffee and Munchkins?
On the dedication page of the legendary singer/songwriter’s new book, The Philosophy of Modern Song, Dylan offers a “special thanks” to “all the crew at Dunkin’ Donuts.” The Boston Globe reports that Dylan’s publisher, Simon & Schuster, has confirmed images of the page that have been circulating are legit, telling the paper, “The line ‘all the crew at Dunkin’ Donuts’ appears on the dedication page. We can offer no further insight.”
According to The Globe, the book has been in the works since 2010. The paper speculates that’s why the 81-year-old artist referred to the chain as Dunkin’ Donuts and not as its current name, Dunkin’, which it adopted in 2018.
The Globe also notes that Dylan primarily lives in Malibu, California, when he’s not on the road, and there are a number of Dunkin’ locations nearby. And, The Globe notes, “Dylan spends much of the year on tour, where he has presumably sampled Dunkin’ brews around the globe (of which there are many).”
But like so many other facts about Bob Dylan, the details of his Dunkin’ order — black coffee? A dozen Munchkins? Pumpkin Spice cold brew? — will remain a mystery for now.
(DENVER) — The tax fraud trial against former President Donald Trump’s namesake company has paused just one day after it began when the first witness on the stand tested positive for COVID-19.
Jeff McConney, the Trump Organization’s controller, tested positive for COVID-19 Tuesday after informing the court he wasn’t feeling well. McConney was on the witness stand for a second day at the criminal trial of the former president’s family business.
The judge adjourned the trial until Monday.
The contours of the criminal case against Trump’s company took shape Monday when McConney was shown entries from the Trump Organization’s general ledger.
McConney, who has been employed by the Trump Organization for 35 years, was shown entries for lease payments on former chief financial officer Allen Weisselberg’s Mercedes Benz, which prosecutors have said were part of Weisselberg’s compensation that was never accounted for on taxes.
Weisselberg has already pleaded guilty to tax evasion in connection with the case. The organization has pleaded not guilty and the former president is not on trial himself.
On Monday, McConney described his close relationship with Weisselberg, to whom he reported “from the day I started” at the Trump Organization until the day Weisselberg stopped being chief financial officer following his arrest. The two had lunch daily and attended each other’s family events.
McConney faced a number of questions about the company’s accounting as prosecutors seek to show certain documents and records were altered to help Weisselberg and other executives evade taxes during a 15-year period beginning in 2005.
In opening statements, the defense said whatever actions were taken by Weisselberg were done for his benefit only and not for the benefit of the company.
“Weisselberg did it for Weisselberg,” defense attorney Michael van der Veen said during opening statements.
McConney testified he remains employed by the Trump Organization, making $450,000 per year in salary and benefits. The company is paying for his attorney and McConney conceded he met with the defense Sunday to discuss his testimony.
“He’s a textbook adverse witness,” prosecutor Josh Steinglass said.
Judge Juan Merchan declined to declare McConney a hostile witness, which would have allowed prosecutors to ask more leading questions.