(NEW YORK) — Portions of a report submitted by the Georgia grand jury investigating efforts by former President Donald Trump and his allies to overturn the results of the 2020 election will be released later this week, a Georgia judge ruled Monday.
The majority of the long-anticipated report, however, will remain sealed, Fulton County Judge Robert McBurney ordered.
Portions of the report are set to be released this Thursday, according to the order, including a section “in which the special purpose grand jury discusses its concern that some witnesses may have lied under oath during their testimony to the grand jury.”
The ruling comes after McBurney heard arguments last month regarding the public release of the confidential report, which the grand jury submitted earlier this month after probing the matter for months.
Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis had argued for the report to remain sealed, saying that it was important to “be mindful of protecting future defendants’ rights.”
Willis also said during the hearing that charging decisions were “imminent.”
That section, though, “does not identify those witnesses,” according to the order.
Willis officially launched the probe in February 2021, sparked in part by the now-infamous Jan. 2, 2021, phone call Trump made to Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger in which Trump pleaded with Raffensperger to “find 11,780 votes,” the exact number Trump needed to win Georgia.
Though the grand jury does not have the ability to return an indictment, it can make recommendations concerning criminal prosecution. Another grand jury would bring any possible charges, should they be recommended.
(NEW YORK) — A U-Haul driver is in custody after allegedly striking pedestrians in the Brooklyn, New York, neighborhood of Bay Ridge on Monday, law enforcement sources told ABC News.
At least four people are injured, according to sources.
The driver allegedly fled the scene in Bay Ridge before being apprehended in the Brooklyn neighborhood of Red Hook a few miles away, sources said.
After slaying the Super Bowl halftime show and revealing she’s pregnant with her second child, what’s next for Rihanna? Oh, nothing much — just the Academy Awards.
As previously reported, Rihanna scored her first Oscar nomination for co-writing “Lift Me Up” from the movie Black Panther: Wakanda Forever. Speaking to ABC’s Michael Strahan in an interview that aired on Good Morning America Monday morning, she explained that movie’s main theme appealed to her.
“[Director Ryan Coogler] reached out to me and he asked if I would be interested in doing a song for the film,” she told Strahan. “And when I saw the film, I felt like, ‘This is so powerful. The sense of motherhood and how much strength that embodies,’ right? I felt that when I watched the film and it hit me.”
It probably doesn’t hurt that there’s a scene in the movie where two characters literally discuss a specific shade of makeup by Rihanna’s Fenty Beauty brand.
Meanwhile, Rihanna says she’s aware that fans are desperate for new music from her, especially after “Lift Me Up” and the Super Bowl.
“They’re waiting,” she acknowledged. “I’m excited to actually put new music out but I don’t have any updates for you on that yet.”
Looks like we’ll just have to keep playing Anti- on repeat until Rihanna decides to bless us with something new. However, the fact that she’s about to have two children under 2 doesn’t bode well for a new album.
Indeed, ahead of the Super Bowl, she told Nate Burleson on his new podcast, The Process, “I want to just put music out and have fun with it but if it has to be an album, that might take some time.”
(NEW YORK) — After leading the Kansas City Chiefs to their second Super Bowl win in four years, Patrick Mahomes enjoyed a candid celebratory moment with his wife and daughter on the confetti-covered field.
The Super Bowl MVP quarterback and his wife Brittany Mahomes both kissed the cheek of their soon-to-be 2-year-old daughter Sterling Skye in the first of five photos from the festivities Brittany Mahomes posted on Instagram.
Alongside a carousel of photos of Patrick Mahomes holding and hugging his daughter, his wife wrote, “Super Bowl CHAMPS” and a red heart emoji.
Their family was only missing its newest addition, Patrick “Bronze” Lavon Mahomes III, who was born last November.
Mahomes added to his already storied legacy Sunday night, becoming the 13th quarterback in NFL history to win more than one Super Bowl; his first came in 2020 with a 31-20 win over the San Francisco 49ers in Super Bowl LIV.
The 27-year-old played through an aggravated right high ankle sprain and still managed to go 21 of 27 for 182 yards and three touchdowns.
“I had to learn to be a better leader,” Mahomes said Sunday night after the win. “I had to learn how to stay on guys, how not to let the little stuff slide. I had to teach guys the culture we have here, that I learned from Alex Smith and Derrick Johnson.”
Chiefs head coach Andy Reid hailed Mahomes as the reason the team and players rallied in the second half to pull out a comeback win.
“He wants to be the greatest player ever,” Reid said Sunday night. “And he does it humbly. He does the work. And then when it’s time for the players around him to raise their game, he helps them do that.”
Weeks after Lucasfilm dropped the movie’s official trailer comes a Super Bowl spot for Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny.
The snippet gave a few more peeks of the movie, which hits theaters June 30, including a reveal of Mads Mikkelson‘s villain, Voller.
“Have we met?” he asks Harrison Ford‘s Jones in the film’s present-day storyline, set in 1969.
“My memory’s a little fuzzy,” Indy says, before we see a younger Jones punching the baddie years ago. “You still a Nazi?” older Indy asks.
A title card reads “A legend will face his destiny” as a returning John Rhys-Davies as Sallah cheers his old friend: “Give ’em hell, Indiana Jones!”
Some elements of the Super Bowl spot have been seen before, like Jones’ horseback chase through a parade, and a death-defying car chase that has Indy diving into a moving tuk tuk in what appears to be India, but one sequence is new. Phoebe Waller-Bridge, who plays Indy’s goddaughter, Helena Shaw, clings to life to the open bomb bay door of a stricken German aircraft.
Jones asks her, “What are you doing here?”
“Rescuing you!” Shaw replies.
“Hang on!” Indy says, before strapping on a parachute and grabbing her, as they both plummet to the ground.
Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny debuts June 30 from Lucasfilm, a subsidiary of Disney, parent company of ABC News.
Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band brought their tour to Dallas this weekend, but it was short a few people. Three members of the E Street Band had to sit out the show: Steven Van Zandt and Soozie Tyrell due to COVID and Springsteen’s wife, Patti Scialfa, for an undisclosed reason.
“We got a few members missing tonight,” The Boss told the crowd, according to Rolling Stone. “Stevie Van Zandt – COVID, Soozie Tyrell – COVID, Patti Scialfa … But goddammit, we’re gonna give Dallas the best show they’ve ever seen.”
Van Zandt later took to social media to confirm his COVID diagnosis, telling fans, “Thank you all for your best wishes and positive vibes. I’ve got a very mild case and hope to be back for Houston or Austin at the latest.”
But being down three members didn’t stop Springsteen from rocking the American Airlines Center. He played a 27-song set that featured a tour debut of “Detroit Medley,” along with such classics as “The Promise Land,” “Thunder Road,” “Born to Run,” “Tenth Avenue Freeze Out” and more.
Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band’s next show is happening Tuesday in Houston, Texas.
(UVALDE, Texas) — Thirty minutes into the deadly siege on her classroom in south Texas, a 10-year-old student did something extraordinary: she picked up a phone.
“Uvalde County 911,” was how the call started.
“There’s a school shooting at Robb Elementary School,” said the hushed voice of a little girl.
“Can you tell me your name?” the dispatcher asked.
“Khloie,” she whispered.
From deep inside the siege that would end in the deaths of 19 children and two of their teachers, fourth-grader Khloie Torres — terrified that the gunman might hear her — kept law enforcement apprised of what was happening during a series of phone calls. Her repeated pleas for help spanned 46 minutes as officers collected in the hallway outside classroom 112 but did not attempt to end the attack.
“Please hurry, there’s a lot of dead bodies,” Khloie said. “Please, I’m going to die.”
The audio of Khloie’s interactions with a police operator obtained and reviewed by ABC News are part of thousands of pieces of digital and documentary evidence collected by investigators.
Khloie’s parents are aware that ABC News plans to broadcast portions of her 911 calls and wants them to be heard publicly. Her father, Ruben Torres, said the calls prove that law enforcement should have acted sooner to confront the gunman and end the massacre, the second-worst school shooting in American history.
“I was very proud of her during that call,” Torres said. “And when I heard her voice, you know, shedding the tears already happened for me … and I was like, 46 [expletive] minutes, and you guys did nothing.”
Investigators are now seeking to determine whether some of the cascading errors in the law enforcement response amount to criminal culpability, officials told ABC News in a series of interviews. As part of their probe, investigators are scrutinizing officers’ decision to treat the incident as a barricaded subject as opposed to an active shooter.
“The consequences of police inaction at the scene, that is really the whole point of the investigation, and that would be a part of what’s presented to the grand jury” when that time comes, said Scott Durfee, a Uvalde County special assistant district attorney working on the case.
Critics say the information 10-year-old Khloie conveyed to a 911 operator should have given officers the knowledge they needed to confront the shooter and end the siege sooner. Twelve minutes after her initial 911 call, Khloie remained on the line with the police operator: “Please help, please my teacher is about to die,” she said. “Please hurry. Send an ambulance right away.”
“That should have immediately signaled a different course of action,” said Eva Guzman, a former state supreme court judge who served on a special committee of the Texas legislature that investigated the Robb shooting.
But questions remain about whether dispatchers were able to convey Khloie’s information to the officers making decisions on the scene in the building. Radios and cellular systems were too weak inside the school, crippling the lines of communication.
“The idea that someone so young would know to get on a cell phone and call 911, but maintain that line, [an] open line, and report information that was helpful — it would’ve been very helpful, put it that way,” said Col. Steve McCraw, director of the Texas Department of Public Safety that is running the criminal investigation.
It is not clear whether Khloie’s information made its way to Pete Arredondo, then-chief of the Uvalde school district police force and the officer making many of the key decisions that day. (Arredondo has denied that he was the on-scene commander and defended his actions.)
“That information should’ve been taken in by the call taker, should’ve been immediately relayed to the incident commander, who should have used that information to understand that this was still an active shooter event,” said John Cohen, an ABC News contributor, veteran law enforcement official, and an expert in active-shooter response.
Evidence collected by investigators suggests that the city’s top police officer on site, Lt. Mariano Pargas, was aware from Khloie’s calls that children remained trapped alive inside the classroom.
“The calls you got in from the — from one of the students,” Pargas asked a dispatcher. “What did they say?”
“OK, Khloie’s going to be — it’s Khloie,” the dispatcher replies. “She’s in Room 112, Mariano, 112.”
“So how many are still alive?” Pargas asked.
“Eight to nine are still alive,” the dispatcher said. “She’s not too sure how many are actually [deceased] or possibly injured. We’re trying–“
“OK, OK, thanks,” Pargas said.
Pargas would later tell investigators that he couldn’t recall those details.
Over the course of her 46-minute dialogue with a 911 operator, Khloie stayed calm, at one point telling the 911 operator: “I know how to handle these situations. My dad taught me when I was a little girl.”
Her father, a former Marine, said he worked hard to make sure Khloie and her siblings knew how to handle life-and-death emergencies in an age of mass-casualty attacks and exploding gun violence. Ruben Torres said he was so proud that Khloie, that day at Robb, had the presence of mind to wipe blood on herself to make it look like she was shot.
“We had spoken about things like this happening around our nation, give them scenarios, what would they do — things of that nature,” he explained. “I find it amazing that my 10-year-old at that time thought about that.”
Khloie continued offering crucial information that critics say should have prompted police action: “Send help for my teachers,” she told the dispatcher. “They are still alive but they’re shot.”
She also served as a conduit for other survivors in the classroom, conveying the police operator’s orders to those nearby.
“They are inside the building you just need to stay quiet OK,” the dispatcher said.
On the other line, Khloie is heard whispering: “They are inside the building; we just need to stay quiet.”
Finally, 46 minutes after Khloie Torres placed her first 911 call, officers from a U.S. Border Patrol tactical unit entered the classroom, shot the gunman, and ended the rampage.
Khloie and nine other classmates from room 112 survived. Now, nine months later, Khloie is in counseling but has not yet returned to school. Her father said her road to recovery has been a struggle.
“She does have survivor’s guilt,” Ruben Torres said. “I hate to say it, but she really don’t care anymore about doing the little things that she used to do, you know? She just wants to be stuck at home.”
Peter Gabriel was born in Surry, England. The musician, singer, songwriter, record producer and activist gained fame as the original lead singer of the rock band Genesis and appeared on the band’s first six albums.
He left the group in 1975 and went on to have a hugely successful solo career, releasing his self-titled debut that year, which featured the future classic “Solsbury Hill.” His fifth studio album, 1986’s So, became his bestselling album, moving over 5 million copies in the U.S. It featured the number one song “Sledgehammer,” as well as songs like “Big Time” and “Don’t Give Up” with Kate Bush.
Gabriel is the winner of six Grammy Awards, as well as 13 MTV Video Music Awards, nine of which went to the video for the “Sledgehammer.” He’s also a two-time member of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, being inducted in 2010 as a member of Genesis and in 2014 as a solo artist.
Gabriel is expected to release his first new album in 20 years, i/o, sometime in 2023. He’s already released two new singles from the record, “Panopticom” and “The Court (Dark-Side remix).”
(NEW YORK) — Super Bowl 57 was a dream come true for Kansas City Chiefs star linebacker Nick Bolton, who said he envisioned himself in the end zone just days prior.
That dream came true during the second quarter, when Bolton came up with one of the biggest plays of the night to change the momentum in Kansas City’s favor.
The second-year lineman scooped up a fumble by Jalen Hurts, then ran 36 yards for a defensive touchdown to tie the game at 14-14.
“I dreamed about it and it came to fruition when that play happened. It’s kind of surreal,” Bolton told ABC News’ Good Morning America hours after the Chiefs’ 38-35 victory over the Philadelphia Eagles at State Farm Stadium in Arizona. “I came to the sidelines and I couldn’t enjoy the moment because I felt like I was living through a dream again. It was a great play for our team, we needed it and we found a way to win.”
Bolton, who led the team in tackles, said the post-win feeling was “still surreal” and has been soaking it in with his teammates and family.
“I haven’t gone to sleep. We’re up and happy to be here,” he said.
Down 24-14 at the half, Bolton said the team refocused in the locker room.
“We understood we just got to keep being us, but do it better in terms of penalties or getting off the field on third down and longs,” he explained. “We had to find a way in the second half to keep coming back in the box on third down and long and keep the ball to the outside and just run the tackle out in space.”
The 22-year-old said it was “huge” to have his mom there for his first NFL championship, “especially because I didn’t have the opportunity to have her at the game when I played my state championship in Texas in high school. She had to be at home and she didn’t want to travel because of her health issues. Having her come to a game of this magnitude, and happening the way it did, it’s a dream come true.”
He joked, adding, “She’ll probably end up getting that [ring] and holding onto that one for awhile for me.”
As for what’s next, Bolton said the team will get back to Kansas City for the victory parade Wednesday.
(NEW YORK) — Kansas City Chiefs offensive lineman Nick Allegretti had an “unbelievable” Sunday and it wasn’t just because the Chiefs emerged victorious over the Philadelphia Eagles in Super Bowl LVII.
Nick’s wife, Christina Allegretti, gave birth to the couple’s twins early Sunday morning, according to a locker room interview clip shared by a Chiefs Digest writer.
Allegretti told Chiefs Digest that Feb. 12 would be a memorable one for him.
“It’s the best day of my life no matter what – 3:30, 4 a.m. – I became a dad, father of two daughters. Unbelievable. And now, I’ve got a ring for both of them. Incredible, cannot believe it,” the 26-year-old said.
Allegretti joined the Chiefs in 2019 and won his first Super Bowl ring when the Chiefs beat the San Francisco 49ers 31-20 during Super Bowl LIV in 2020. The Chiefs’ 38-35 win against the Eagles gives Allegretti his second Super Bowl ring, hence the two coveted rings for each of his newborn twin girls.
Allegretti wasn’t the only Chiefs player on baby watch over the weekend. Teammate Mecole Hardman Jr. also tweeted on Sunday that his girlfriend, Chariah Gordon, had gone into labor.
“OMG HER WATER BROKE,” the wide receiver wrote, adding three eye emojis.
On Monday morning, the 24-year-old tweeted again, writing, “He’s HERE !!!!!!”