(NEW YORK) — Here are the scores from Tuesday’s sports events:
MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL SPRING TRAINING
INTERLEAGUE
Pittsburgh 7, Toronto 2
Detroit 16, St. Louis 3
Tampa Bay 7, Philadelphia 3
Chi White Sox 5, Milwaukee 2
LA Angels 5, San Diego 4
Chi Cubs 9, Texas 6
Oakland 9, Arizona 3
Boston 10, Atlanta 2
NY Mets 5, Houston 5
AMERICAN LEAGUE
Minnesota 7, Baltimore 6
NATIONAL LEAGUE
Washington 5, Miami 3
Cincinnati 7, San Francisco 3
NATIONAL BASKETBALL ASSOCIATION
Washington 119, Detroit 117
Milwaukee 134, Orlando 123
Charlotte 112, New York 105
Philadelphia 117, Minnesota 94
Brooklyn 118, Houston 96
Oklahoma City 137, Golden State 128
Dallas 120, Utah 116
LA Lakers 112, Memphis 103
NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE
Toronto 4, New Jersey 3
Florida 2, Vegas 1
Pittsburgh 5 Columbus 4 (OT)
Tampa Bay 5, Philadelphia 2
Carolina 4, Montreal 3 (SO)
NY Islanders 3, Buffalo 2
Calgary 1, Minnesota 0 (SO)
Colorado 6, San Jose 0
Arizona 6, St. Louis 2
Seattle 5, Anaheim 2
TOP-25 COLLEGE BASKETBALL
Gonzaga 77, Saint Mary’s (Cal.) 51
(WASHINGTON) — House Speaker Kevin McCarthy is standing by his decision to grant Fox News host Tucker Carlson access to the raw security footage from the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol, telling reporters on Tuesday night that he has no regrets but repeatedly refusing to answer questions about what Carlson said on his show.
“Each person can come up with their own conclusion,” McCarthy said about what Carlson aired Monday night, which quickly drew rebuke from Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell, top Democrats and the U.S. Capitol Police chief, among others.
ABC News Senior Congressional Correspondent Rachel Scott asked McCarthy whether he had any concerns about what Carlson presented, pointing to an internal memo from Chief Tom Manger to Capitol Police officers where Manger described Carlson’s coverage as “cherry picked,” “misleading” and “offensive.”
“I didn’t see what was aired,” McCarthy said, insisting that he gave Carlson — and no other media outlet — access to the tapes for the purpose of “transparency.”
Carlson on Monday aired what he claimed to be new surveillance videos from the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol in an effort to minimize the rioting as a peaceful gathering and to discredit the work of the House Jan. 6 committee and federal investigators.
In contrast to Carlson’s claims now, in the days right after Jan. 6, McCarthy said, “Let me be clear, last week’s violent attack on the Capitol was undemocratic, un-American, and criminal.”
Attorney General Merrick Garland, asked on Tuesday about Carlson’s program, said, “I think it’s very clear what happened on Jan. 6.”
Carlson and some House Republicans had been hyping the report up for weeks, but after viewing 40,000 hours of video given to him by McCarthy, the host played on repeat only select scenes of the security camera footage.
Carlson defended “protesters” on Jan. 6, claiming they were “right” to “believe that the election they had just voted in had been unfairly conducted.” Notably, Carlson’s comments come on the heels of new court filings by Dominion Voting Systems in their lawsuit against Fox News that showed in mid-November 2020, Carlson texted one of his producers that “there wasn’t enough fraud to change the outcome” of the election.
Despite what he’s said in private, Carlson said on Monday that “taken as a whole, the video record does not support the claim that Jan. 6 was an insurrection,” though he also showed familiar footage of rioters violently breaking into the Capitol.
Reporters on Tuesday asked if McCarthy believed the Jan. 6 riot was an insurrection, but McCarthy avoided the question entirely.
He said he “worked with Capitol police” on what video would be provided to Carlson, but Chief Manger said in his memo that Fox News never reached out to the Capitol Police for context about what clips they aired.
A Fox News spokeswoman did not respond to ABC News’ request for comment on the memo.
On his way to the House floor, McCarthy told ABC News “no” when asked if he had heard any concerns from any Capitol Police officers or any officers on his detail about what was show on Carlson’s show.
ABC News’ Luke Barr and Libby Cathey contributed to this report.
(MEMPHIS, Tenn.) — About 20 more hours of police video and audio in the Tyre Nichols case will be released Wednesday afternoon, according to City of Memphis Chief Legal Officer Jennifer Sink.
The release comes after a seventh officer who was involved in the Jan. 7 incident was fired following an internal investigation, according to Sink.
Nichols, 29, died several days after a violent traffic stop captured in body camera footage, which shows officers striking Nichols repeatedly.
His death has prompted protests and unrest across the country.
In a Tuesday city council meeting, Sink announced that the internal investigations resulted in four Memphis Fire Department personnel being charged, and 13 Memphis Police Department personnel being charged. According to Sink, these are not criminal investigations, but rather administrative investigations.
Prior to the meeting the Memphis Police Department announced that six officers involved in the incident were fired. Sink revealed to council members that a seventh unidentified officer who was under investigation was terminated.
Of the remaining officers under investigation, three officers received a suspension, two had their charges dismissed and one individual resigned in lieu of termination, Sink said. The charges and disciplinary decisions will be officially posted on Wednesday alongside the latest round of released footage, she said.
All officers directly involved in Nichols’ beating were part of the first round of terminations and criminal charges, Sink said.
Those five officers — Tadarrius Bean, Demetrius Haley, Desmond Mills Jr., Emmitt Martin III and Justin Smith — have pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder and other charges in Nichols’ beating and subsequent death.
A sixth officer, Preston Hemphill, was fired in February, days after the body camera footage was released to the public.
Another officer, who was suspended, “did place hands on [Nichols’] legs,” Sink said, but asserted that it was not a strike or assault.
ABC News’ Ivan Pereira and Will McDuffie contributed to this report.
(ANNAPOLIS, Md.) — Former Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan declined on Tuesday to close the door on a third-party presidential bid in 2024 after he said Sunday that he would not seek the Republican nomination.
Hogan clarified in an exclusive interview with ABC News that an independent presidential campaign is not something he’s “actively” mulling, but he would not definitively say he would not wage one depending on who the Democratic and Republican nominees are.
“I have ruled out seeking the Republican nomination. And I haven’t ruled that out [running as an independent]. But it’s not something I’m really working toward or thinking about,” Hogan said, adding that “the question keeps popping up more and more.”
A popular Republican governor in a blue state, Hogan was term-limited out of office earlier this year and had been considering a campaign as an anti-Donald Trump candidate in the 2024 Republican primary.
However, he said over the weekend that he would not contribute to a crowded nominating field in which the former president could emerge as the winner with just a plurality of support, as Trump did in 2016 again Sens. Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio and then-Ohio Gov. John Kasich.
“To once again be a successful governing party, we must move on from Donald Trump. There are several competent Republican leaders who have the potential to step up and lead. But the stakes are too high for me to risk being part of another multicar pileup that could potentially help Mr. Trump recapture the nomination,” Hogan said in a statement on Sunday.
Even without him in the race, though, Hogan conceded on Tuesday that any conservative other than Trump — who has criticized Hogan as a RINO, or Republican in name only — or Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, the only other potential candidate polling in double digits, faces an uphill climb in clinching the GOP nomination.
The potential crowd is still anticipated to include multiple notable lawmakers, with former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley already running alongside Trump, and there’s no significant consolidation in sight.
“We got to find a candidate that can do that. And I don’t know who that is at this point,” Hogan said of the path for a candidate other than Trump and DeSantis to be successful. “But there can only be one.”
“Trump has to stumble, which is hard. And he’s been diminishing. But still, he’s the 800-pound gorilla. And then if he doesn’t make it, it goes to DeSantis, and then DeSantis has to stumble,” Hogan said. “And then you have to consolidate everyone else and overcome that.”
Yet if Trump does win the GOP primary, Hogan said the centrist political group No Labels, of which he is an honorary co-chair, could cobble together a third-party ticket.
Hogan said the group has “raised about $50 million to get access in all 50 states as kind of an insurance policy” for an “in case of ’emergency break glass'” scenario, referencing a general election matchup between Trump and President Joe Biden, who has said he will run in 2024 as well.
“I mean, they’re not trying to start a third party. They’re not committed to doing that. But in case the country is burning down, you may have to have an alternative,” he said.
Hogan insisted such a ticket would be a last-case scenario but could be sparked by a general election matchup between Trump and Biden — two politicians with consistently tepid approval ratings nationally who are nonetheless still seen by many as the likeliest nominees for each of their parties.
“I think that would be the trigger. I think that’s what they’re talking about. I’m not sure we’re gonna get to that point. I don’t know that. Frankly, I’m hopeful that Donald Trump is not going to be the Republican nominee. And I’m going to work toward that goal. And I’m assuming Biden may be the nominee, but who knows? I mean, he’s 80 years old. And we got a long ways to go,” Hogan said.
As for his own future, Hogan appeared open — among other possibilities — to having his name on such a ticket should one be launched.
“I’m not sure if it’s feasible. And it’s also just not something I’m working toward,” he said. “But, I mean, look, if you got to an election when the nominees were Biden and Trump and 70% of America didn’t want that, you wouldn’t rule it out, right?”
(CENTRAL FALLS, R.I.) — An airline passenger accused of attempting to open a plane emergency exit door and then swinging at a flight attendant with a broken spoon allegedly tried to attack two guards Tuesday at the jail where he is being held, law enforcement sources told ABC News.
Francisco Torres, 33, of Leominster, Massachusetts, is being held at the Wyatt Detention Facility in Central Falls, Rhode Island, after he was ordered detained pending a bail hearing on Thursday.
Details and the severity of the incident at the jail were not immediately clear.
A spokeswoman for the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Massachusetts, which is prosecuting the case against Torres, declined to comment.
A request for comment was not immediately answered by the warden’s office.
Torres was charged with one count of interference and attempted interference with flight crew members and attendants using a dangerous weapon, following the incident on a United Airlines flight on Sunday from Los Angeles to Boston.
Torres allegedly tried to stab a flight attendant in the neck with a broken metal spoon after he was confronted about tampering with the door, federal prosecutors said.
A “flight attendant found that the door’s locking handle had been moved out of the fully locked position … and that the emergency slide arming lever had been moved to the ‘disarmed’ position,” prosecutors said.
Torres later told police he went into the bathroom to break the spoon “to make a weapon,” court records stated. Torres also allegedly told investigators he believed a flight attendant was trying to kill him, so he tried to kill the flight attendant first, according to court records.
Fellow passengers tackled him and the flight crew helped restrain him, prosecutors said. The flight attendant told police he wasn’t hurt, according to court documents.
Torres was taken into custody when the flight landed at Logan Airport.
Torres has two prior arrests, one for armed robbery and the other for assault and battery, though he was never convicted, law enforcement sources told ABC News. It appears he was determined not fit for prosecution.
ABC News Emily Shapiro and Benjamin Stein contributed to this report.
(LOCUST GROVE, Ga.) — Family and friends are mourning the shocking death of a Georgia bookstore owner whose body was found floating in a creek over the weekend.
Erica Atkins, 40, the owner of Birdsong Books, was found dead hours after she was reported missing from her home in Locust Grove, about 35 miles southeast of Atlanta, police said.
Her body was discovered Sunday by a fisherman in Cedar Creek, several miles from her home, authorities said.
Romero Johnson, 38, faces murder and kidnapping charges in connection with her death, Locust Grove Police said.
Johnson was an ex-boyfriend of Atkins’ who would sometimes work at the bookstore, her brother, Phillip Robinson, told Atlanta ABC affiliate WSB.
“It was shocking and extremely, extremely painful,” Robinson told WSB.
Akins leaves behind a 21-year-old daughter and 10-year-old son, WSB reported.
“I’m really going to miss her,” her daughter, Jasmine Atkins, told WSB. “My mother was everything to me.”
Atkins was reported missing on Sunday, police said. A friend called police after noticing the front door to Atkins’ home was wide open, WSB reported.
Detectives “quickly identified” Johnson as a suspect and he was taken into custody on Sunday for kidnapping, police said in a statement.
Later on Sunday, the Putnam County Sheriff’s Office contacted Locust Grove police after finding a dead body that matched the physical description of the kidnapping victim, police said.
“To dispose of a body like that is just heartbreaking, senseless,” Locust Grove Police Chief Derrick Austin told WSB.
Detectives obtained an additional warrant for murder for Johnson, police said. Austin told WSB that neighborhood cameras showed that the suspect had been at the victim’s home, and that detectives tracked his car to Putnam County, near where Atkins was found.
“It’s such a sad situation,” Austin told WSB. “Someone she obviously trusted enough to have at her home, who would do something like this to her.”
Johnson is currently being detained in Henry County Jail. It is unclear if he has an attorney who can speak on his behalf.
Authorities are still working to determine the cause of death.
Flowers have been placed outside Birdsong Books following news of Atkins’ death. The new and used bookstore opened in Locust Grove in late 2021. A bio on the store’s website described Atkins as an “advocate of reading, learning and educating people of all walks of life.”
“She grew up loving to read. An avid reader,” Robinson said of his sister. “She would spend hours when we were kids reading aloud.”
Birdsong Books was named 2022 Microbusiness of the Year by the Henry County Chamber of Commerce, which called Atkins’ death a “tremendous loss” to the community.
“As a business and community leader and a friend, she will be sorely missed,” the chamber of commerce said in a statement on social media Monday.
Weezer is headlining the inaugural Cave Mountain Catskills Music Festival, taking place September 15-16 in Windham, New York.
Others on the bill include The Strokes‘ Albert Hammond Jr., Dinosaur Jr. and Preservation Hall Jazz Band. For the full lineup and ticket info, visit CaveMountainMusicFest.com.
Weezer’s 2023 plans also include their Indie Rock Roadtrip tour, which kicks off in June. Modest Mouse, Spoon, White Reaper and Future Islands will also be on the bill for select dates.
John Mayer is headlining the Sound on Sound festival, as are Alanis Morissette and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. The festival will be held in John’s native Bridgeport, Connecticut, between September 30 and October 1. Tickets for the festival go on sale Thursday, March 9, at noon ET.
Miley Cyrus is about to release the music video for her song “River.” She shared a teaser and revealed the video drops Friday.
Speaking of Miley, music tracker Luminate says “Flowers” has had 848 million on-demand audio streams globally so far this year.
Lewis Capaldi is resting up after pulling the plug on several shows due to bronchitis. The singer was forced to postpone his shows in Milan and Zurich, which he says he is “absolutely devastated” to do. Lewis was ordered by a doctor to spend the next three days resting his voice.
Mod Sun is speaking out after ex-fiancée Avril Lavigne was seen kissing rapper Tyga. He tweeted, “I’m so grateful to have real friends who will sit on the phone with me for 2 hours. If you got those people in your life, do not let them go.” Mod and Avril got engaged last year. It’s unknown what caused their sudden breakup.
Miley Cyrus is about to release the music video for her song “River.” She shared a teaser and revealed the video drops Friday.
Speaking of Miley, music tracker Luminate says “Flowers” has had 848 million on-demand audio streams globally so far this year.
In the same press release, Luminate revealed SZA has amassed over 10 billion all-time global on-demand streams. Only 17 other women have achieved the honor.
Calvin Harrisshared an extended preview of his new song “Miracle” with Ellie Goulding. He confirmed the single comes out Friday.
Lewis Capaldi is resting up after pulling the plug on several shows due to bronchitis. The singer was forced to postpone his shows in Milan and Zurich, which he says he is “absolutely devastated” to do. Lewis was ordered by a doctor to spend the next three days resting his voice.
BTS‘ Jimin released his songs “Promise” and “Christmas Love” on streaming ahead of launching his debut solo album, FACE. The songs were respectively released in 2018 and 2020, but they previously weren’t available to stream.
On the topic of BTS, Jinshared a picture of him, in his army fatigues, posing with J-Hope and Jimin. The singer was the first member of BTS to enlist in South Korea’s mandatory military service. He captioned the photo update, “Welcome.”
While the gravity of the Marvel Cinematic Universe has pulled in a galaxy of Oscar-winning and Oscar-nominated stars, Nicolas Cage isn’t eager to join them.
The lifelong comics fan, who played Ghost Rider on the big screen before the MCU existed, explained, “I’ve gotta be nice about Marvel movies, because I named myself after a Stan Lee character named Luke Cage.”
The actor, born Nicolas Coppola, added, “What am I going to do, put Marvel movies down? Stan Lee is my surrealistic father. He named me.”
But the Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent star later added, “I don’t need to be in the MCU, I’m Nic Cage.”
Unlike other actors, Cage doesn’t see the superhero genre as a problem for Hollywood. “I understand what the frustration is. I get it,” he said, adding, “I think there’s plenty of room for everybody. I’m seeing movies like [Oscar nominee] Tár. I’m seeing all kinds of artistic and independently driven movies. I think there’s plenty of room for everybody.”
Cage also talked a bit about recruiting Batman director Tim Burton for a Superman film in the ’90s that was infamously scuttled by Warner Bros. “It was more of a 1980s Superman with like, the samurai black long hair. I thought it was gonna be a really different, sort of emo Superman, but we never got there,” he expressed.