NYC truck terror attacker spared death penalty as jury can’t come to unanimous decision

NYC truck terror attacker spared death penalty as jury can’t come to unanimous decision
NYC truck terror attacker spared death penalty as jury can’t come to unanimous decision
Jason Marz/Getty Images

(NEW YORK) — A jury has spared Sayfullo Saipov the death penalty after it was unable to come to a unanimous decision Monday in the penalty phase deliberations for a Halloween 2017 terror attack in New York City that killed eight people.

The jury agreed “sentence of life imprisonment without the possibility of release is a harsh punishment,” according to the verdict form. It also agreed Saipov intentionally killed his victims after “substantial planning and premeditation” and did it for ISIS. However, the jury did not unanimously find that Saipov represented a future danger or would likely commit acts of violence while in prison.

A decision for death had to be unanimous. Instead, Saipov will spend life in prison without the possibility of release at ADX in Colorado.

Saipov was convicted in January of killing eight people and trying to kill 18 more in the ISIS-inspired truck attack on a bike path adjacent to the Hudson River. It was the deadliest terror attack in New York since Sept. 11, 2001.

Nine of the 28 counts he was convicted of carry the possibility of the death penalty.

After beginning deliberations on March 8, jurors had to begin anew the following day after a distraught juror was excused after informing the court that his brother had suffered a heart attack.

The defense moved for a mistrial, invoking a strict interpretation of the federal death penalty statute that says the sentence must be put “before the jury that determined the defendant’s guilt,” which the judge denied. An alternate was added to the jury for final deliberations.

“There are three or four circuit courts who have considered this issue and found that courts can use an alternate even if they haven’t sat in the trial phase,” Judge Vernon Broderick said.

Minutes after starting their deliberations on March 8, jurors sent a note to the judge asking if they could discuss that the current method of execution for federal inmates is lethal injection. They also asked if they could mention the current moratorium on execution by Attorney General Merrick Garland.

In response, Broderick instructed jurors to disregard both lethal injection and the Biden administration’s death penalty moratorium, saying they were “not proper considerations for your deliberations.”

All federal executions since at least 1963 have been carried out by lethal injection.

Garland announced a moratorium on executions in September 2021 so officials could review policies and procedures though has upheld decisions of the prior administration to pursue the death penalty for Saipov, Charleston church shooter Dylann Roof and Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.

During closing arguments last week, Assistant U.S. Attorney Amanda Houle told the jury that Saipov deserved the death penalty for his “unremorseful slaughter of innocent civilians.”

“Murder is always terrible but when the defendant made the choice to murder multiple people he exposed himself to a harsher punishment,” Houle said. “He stole eight lives.”

Meanwhile, defense attorney David Patton told jurors they face “an awesome responsibility and power” and should spare Saipov the death penalty and let him “die in obscurity, not as a hero, not as a martyr.”

“It is not necessary to kill Sayfullo Saipov, not for our safety or anyone else’s and not to do justice,” Patton said. “In this case, we are asking you to decide that meeting death with more death is not the answer.”

A death sentence for Saipov, a citizen of Uzbekistan, would have been the first by a federal jury in New York in decades. Federal juries in Brooklyn approved a death sentence for a man who murdered two New York police detectives in 2007 and 2013, but both sentences were tossed out on appeal.

The last time the death penalty was carried out in a New York federal case was in 1953 when husband and wife Julius and Ethel Rosenberg were executed after being convicted of conspiracy to commit espionage for the Soviet Union during the Cold War.

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

White House demands Pence apologize for ‘homophobic joke’ aimed at Buttigieg

White House demands Pence apologize for ‘homophobic joke’ aimed at Buttigieg
White House demands Pence apologize for ‘homophobic joke’ aimed at Buttigieg
Dia Dipasupil/Getty Images

(WASHINGTON) — The White House on Monday asked former Vice President Mike Pence to apologize for what it called a “homophobic joke” he made over the weekend geared at Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg.

“The former vice president’s homophobic joke about Secretary Buttigieg was offensive and inappropriate, all the more so because he treated women suffering from postpartum depression as a punchline,” White House press secretary Karine-Jean Pierre said in a statement. “He should apologize to women and LGBTQ people, who are entitled to be treated with dignity and respect.”

Pence, headlining at the annual Gridiron Club dinner in Washington for journalists and politicians, mocked Buttigieg for taking parental leave after the birth of his adopted twins while he said Americans faced issues with air travel.

“He took two months ‘maternity’ leave whereupon thousands of travelers were stranded in airports, the air traffic system shut down, and airplanes nearly collided on our runways. Pete is the only person in human history to have a child and everyone else gets postpartum depression,” Pence said, according to reporters present.

Notably, Buttigieg’s twins were born prematurely, developed Respiratory Syncytial Virus Infection (RSV) and one was hospitalized and put on a ventilator, a point his husband, Chasten, called out in a tweet directed at the rumored 2024 presidential hopeful.

“An honest question for you, @Mike_Pence, after your attempted joke this weekend. If your grandchild was born prematurely and placed on a ventilator at two months old – their tiny fingers wrapped around yours as the monitors beep in the background – where would you be?” he said.

Marc Short, Pence’s former chief of staff, called the response from the White House “faux outrage.”

“The White House would be wise to focus less on placating the woke police and focus more on bank failures, planes nearly colliding in mid-air, train derailments, and the continued supply chain crisis,” Short said in a tweet.

It’s far from the first time that Buttigieg has faced criticism from those on the right for taking paid parental leave, with Pence’s language echoing lines repeatedly espoused by Fox News host Tucker Carlson.

“Pete Buttigieg has been on leave from his job since August after adopting a child. Paternity leave, they call it. Trying to figure out how to breastfeed, no word on how that went,” Carlson said on his prime-time show two months after the twins were born.

But Pence notably broke with Carlson’s recent whitewashing of Jan. 6 in his speech Saturday and offered his strongest rebuke of former President Donald Trump yet.

“History will hold Donald Trump accountable for Jan. 6,” Pence said at the dinner. “Make no mistake about it: What happened that day was a disgrace, and it mocks decency to portray it in any other way. President Trump was wrong. His reckless words endangered my family and everyone at the Capitol that day.”

“Tourists don’t injure 140 police officers by simply sightseeing,” he added. “Tourists don’t break down doors to get to the Speaker of the House. Tourists don’t threaten public officials.”

ABC News has reached out to Pence’s team for comment.

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

The Monkees’ Micky Dolenz: It’s “weird … being the last man standing”

The Monkees’ Micky Dolenz: It’s “weird … being the last man standing”
The Monkees’ Micky Dolenz: It’s “weird … being the last man standing”
Scott Dudelson/Getty Images

With Michael Nesmith’s passing in 2021, Micky Dolenz is now the last surviving member of The Monkees. Ahead of his upcoming tour, in which he plans to play their 1967 album, Headquarters, the first one they had control over and played instruments on, he’s really missing his bandmates, particularly Nesmith. 

“It is weird … I gotta be honest … being the last man standing,” he tells Rolling Stone. “I wish to God that Nesmith would have been around long enough to do this album, which he was so responsible for putting together and writing on it and inspiring us to do it.”

Before he died, Nesmith and Dolenz went out on a 40-date tour together. Dolenz says he’s still shocked his bandmate made it through, noting it “was so apparent he had health issues,” but he wouldn’t quit. 

“Looking back, I think he saw the writing on the wall. He was a very private person. … He didn’t talk about it,” Dolenz says. “Every once in a while he made some joke about it to me, but I was about the only one he’d even talk to about this. A lot of what he said to me was just through a look. God, I’ll never forget that tour. That was just unbelievable.”

Dolenz says he sometimes gets “philosophical” and wonders why he’s the last surviving member of The Monkees, but he knows “it’s not a question that can really ever be answered in any sense.” Instead, he says, “I am trying to uphold the legacy” of the band, adding, “It’s also my job. This is what I do.”

Dolenz’s tour launches April 1 in Orlando, Florida. 

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

David Lee Roth shares cover of Marvin Gaye’s “Ain’t That Peculiar”

David Lee Roth shares cover of Marvin Gaye’s “Ain’t That Peculiar”
David Lee Roth shares cover of Marvin Gaye’s “Ain’t That Peculiar”
Axelle/Bauer-Griffin/FilmMagic

David Lee Roth has shared another song with his fans. This time he’s dropped a cover of Marvin Gaye’s 1965 tune “Ain’t That Peculiar.”

The track was recorded at Henson Studios in Los Angeles, the same place Roth recorded a set of Van Halen tracks that he’s been releasing, including “You Really Got Me,” “Dance The Night Away,” “Panama,” “Everybody Wants Some!!” and “Ain’t Talkin’ ‘Bout Love,” as well as the most recent release, “Unchained.”

Released in 1965, Gaye’s tune was produced by Smokey Robinson, and written by Robinson and his Miracles bandmates Bobby RogersPete Moore and Marv Tarplin. The song topped the Billboard Hot R&B singles chart and peaked at eight on the Hot 100.

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Oscar winner Brendan Fraser talks lessons learned from his ‘The Whale’ character, Charlie

Oscar winner Brendan Fraser talks lessons learned from his ‘The Whale’ character, Charlie
Oscar winner Brendan Fraser talks lessons learned from his ‘The Whale’ character, Charlie
ABC

Brendan Fraser‘s career comeback reached its apex Sunday evening when he reached for his Best Actor Oscar for his performance in Darren Aronofsky‘s drama The Whale.

Backstage, an emotional Fraser explained the parallels he saw between his character’s struggles in life and his own.

His character, Charlie, is a morbidly obese man trying to make amends with his daughter. Although Fraser was asked about queer representation, he explained, “Charlie is more than just a gay man: He’s a father, he’s an educator, he’s a truth-seeker.”

With tears in his eyes, Fraser expressed, “That he fell hopelessly, inconveniently in love with whomever is immaterial. He’s someone who found love, lost it, and then found it again. I think that that’s something that we can all take a page from.”

The actor continued, “And know that with perseverance, if you put one foot in front of the other, like Charlie did — go to the light — believe me, if I can do it, you can, too.”

With a laugh, and Oscar in hand, he added, “Good things will happen.”

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

‘Rolling Stone’ names “Black Sabbath” greatest heavy metal song of all time

‘Rolling Stone’ names “Black Sabbath” greatest heavy metal song of all time
‘Rolling Stone’ names “Black Sabbath” greatest heavy metal song of all time
Warner Records

Rolling Stone magazine has come out with yet another list that’s bound to spark debate from music fans. The latest reveals their picks for the 100 greatest heavy metal songs of all time, with artists like Black SabbathMetallica and Iron Maiden making the list. 

Landing at number one is Black Sabbath’s “Black Sabbath,” which the mag describes as a “true metal original,” noting of the tune, “It’s the feeling all metal bands have been chasing ever since and it still reigns supreme.”

And that’s not the only Sabbath tune on the list. In fact, three of their tracks make the top 10, with “War Pigs” at five and “Iron Man” at seven. Plus, “Paranoid” is at 13, and “Heaven and Hell” is at 31. And Ozzy Osbourne‘s solo classic “Crazy Train” lands at six, while “Bark At The Moon” is at 56.

Just behind “Black Sabbath” at two is Metallica’s 1986 classic “Master of Puppets,” which the mag notes “brought nuance and complexity to their speed-metal assault and opened up the entire genre to new possibilities.” 

Other songs in the top 10 include: Motörhead’s “Ace of Spades” at three, Judas Priest’s “Breaking The Law” at four, Slayer’s “Raining Blood” at eight, Dio’s “Holy Diver” at nine and Iron Maiden’s “Run To The Hills” at 10.

The complete list of 100 songs can be found at rollingstone.com.

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Lil Uzi Vert denies rumors he believes in Satan

Lil Uzi Vert denies rumors he believes in Satan
Lil Uzi Vert denies rumors he believes in Satan
Francis Specker/CBS

Lil Uzi Vert rapped “I make a City Girl believe in Satan” at this year’s Rolling Loud California, but he insists that he does not believe in the devil. Speaking to TMZ, he says he was speaking metaphorically when he wrote the lyrics.

“Not actually Satan but just basically, I make a girl do whatever I say so,” he explained. While the lyric appeared to ruffle some feathers, he says his girlfriend, JT, who was at the studio at the time, “didn’t think too much of it.”

After clips surfaced of Uzi performing the song with the now-popular lyric, the likes of Summer Walker and Tony Yayo expressed their opinions.

“i be genuinely curious have these people ever seen or heard a demon before…Or it’s just [a] trend cause I feel like if you have you’d stop playing..really nothing funny or cute about it,” Summer wrote on her Instagram Story.

In an interview with TMZ, Yayo said, “That was a little too crazy for me.” He added, “I believe in God. I’m very religious, came up in the church, so anything that has to do with Satan I can’t rock with.”

Uzi said he also grew up in church and comes from a religious household, but uses his freedom of speech to express himself in music. “I just say whatever I want in my songs. It’s just like my freedom of speech,” he said.

“I kind of just say, you know, anything I want to say,” Uzi continued. “Even if I offend people, I don’t mean to offend people, but if they don’t like it, they have the option to turn it off.”

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Megan Thee Stallion makes a comeback, appearing on red carpet for ‘Vanity Fair’ Oscar Party

Megan Thee Stallion makes a comeback, appearing on red carpet for ‘Vanity Fair’ Oscar Party
Megan Thee Stallion makes a comeback, appearing on red carpet for ‘Vanity Fair’ Oscar Party
Christopher Polk/NBC

Megan Thee Stallion is back after months of being out of the spotlight. The rapper made her first public appearance at an industry-related event, appearing on the red carpet for the Vanity Fair Oscar Party Sunday night.

Meg donned a strapless custom Bach Mai black mermaid gown with minimal accessories and a voluminous Afro. She posed for photos before heading into the event, where she was spotted taking more pics with Seth Rogen.

Meg has been noticeably absent since Tory Lanez was found guilty of assaulting her in his December trial. She was spotted out while celebrating her birthday in February and is now preparing to make her return to the stage.

As previously reported, Meg is headlining the AT&T Block Party in her hometown of Houston, Texas, on March 31. She’s also named a headliner for the 2023 Outside Lands festival, taking place August 11-13 in San Francisco, California.

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Dashboard Confessional hitting the road with Counting Crows this summer

Dashboard Confessional hitting the road with Counting Crows this summer
Dashboard Confessional hitting the road with Counting Crows this summer
courtesy of Counting Crows

Dashboard Confessional is going to have a busy summer. The band, led by Chris Carrabba, is set to open for Counting Crows on their Banshee Season Tour, which also features Frank Turner on select dates. 

“Dashboard Confessional could not be more excited to be playing all across America with our heroes and friends Counting Crows,” Carrabba shares. “Dreams really can come true!”

The 56-date tour kicks off June 13 in Omaha, Nebraska, with Dashboard Confessional joining the tour on June 17 in Indianapolis, Indiana. The tour is set to wrap with a September 25 show at Red Rocks Amphitheatre in Morrison, Colorado.

Ticket presales begin Tuesday, with the general sale set for Friday, March 17, at 10 a.m. local time. A complete list of dates can be found at dashboardconfessional.com.

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

How Lady Gaga went from not playing to slaying on the Oscars Sunday night

How Lady Gaga went from not playing to slaying on the Oscars Sunday night
How Lady Gaga went from not playing to slaying on the Oscars Sunday night
ABC

Last Wednesday, fans were disappointed when Oscars showrunner Glenn Weiss told reporters Lady Gaga wasn’t going to perform her nominated song “Hold My Hand” on the show due to conflicts with her filming schedule. But Sunday night she was front and center, singing the song. So what changed?

Weiss told USA Today, “The situation changed on Thursday,” noting that Gaga’s team reached out to accept the offer to perform. He added, “We were happy to have the conversation and jump into it. With rehearsals and everything else, we dove in deep.”

Gaga did her rehearsal ahead of the telecast, then took the stage wearing no makeup, ripped jeans and a T-shirt to sing a stripped-down version of the emotional Top Gun: Maverick ballad.

“There are heroes all around us in unassuming places,” said Gaga before she started singing the song, which she said she wrote in her studio’s basement. She added of the “deeply personal” song, “You might find you can be your own hero, even if you feel broken inside.”

“It was very raw. She could be herself and that was very cool,” Weiss said of the performance.

Gaga’s song ultimately didn’t win, though: The honor went to “Naatu Naatu” from the movie RRR.

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.