Travis Scott reflects on 2021 Astroworld tragedy: ‘A time that was supposed to be so enjoyable just went wrong’

Travis Scott reflects on 2021 Astroworld tragedy: ‘A time that was supposed to be so enjoyable just went wrong’
Travis Scott reflects on 2021 Astroworld tragedy: ‘A time that was supposed to be so enjoyable just went wrong’
Travis Scott on the grid during the F1 Grand Prix of Las Vegas at Las Vegas Strip Circuit on November 22, 2025, in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by James Sutton – Formula 1/Formula 1 via Getty Images)

It’s been more than four years since the devastation of Travis Scott‘s Astroworld festival, in which a stampede of concertgoers killed 10 people and injured many others. But it’s something that’s always on his mind.

In his cover story for Rolling Stone, Travis says his goal had been to orchestrate a fun event for his hometown of Houston.

“When I did that festival, I was trying to bring something to where I’m from, and when you look back, it’s like a time that was supposed to be so enjoyable just went wrong,” he says. “I would love to heal that in the city. But I would also want people to be receptive [to it]. I don’t want to force a reception.”

Though the experience showed him “there’s a distorted view of who I am and what I care about,” Travis says he has nothing to say to those who believe he’s responsible for the tragedy.

“I wouldn’t tell them anything. I would ask them,” he says. “Sometimes when I read or even hear about some of the s*** that people write, I don’t even know if they believe it.”

“I think there’s always been this distorted view of what I am,” he tells Rolling Stone. “And it’s my responsibility just to keep showing what it really is.”

Travis plans to do exactly that on the follow-up to 2023’s Utopia. “Putting my whole body and soul into the next [project], for more people to understand,” he says.

He clarifies that he’s specifically referring to those who “still don’t understand Trav no matter how long I’ve been in this s***.”

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Sleep Token, Turnstile, Wet Leg & more nominated for 2026 BRITs

Sleep Token, Turnstile, Wet Leg & more nominated for 2026 BRITs
Sleep Token, Turnstile, Wet Leg & more nominated for 2026 BRITs
Sleep Token performs at Verti Music Hall on December 8, 2023 in Berlin, Germany. (Pedro Becerra/Redferns)

The nominations for the 2026 BRIT Awards, the British equivalent of the Grammys, have been announced.

Sleep Token and Wet Leg are up for the group of the year prize alongside Wolf Alice, The Last Dinner Party and Pulp. Turnstile will compete in the international group of the year category alongside Tame Impala, HAIM, Geese and HUNTER/X.

The nominees in the alternative/rock act category are Wet Leg, Wolf Alice, Lola Young, Sam Fender and Blood Orange. Young received a total of five nominations, tied for most for any artist in 2026, and is also up for artist of the year, song of the year with “Messy,” breakthrough artist and pop act.

Other nominees include Wolf Alice’s The Clearing and Fender’s People Watching for album of the year; Fender for artist of the year and song of the year with Olivia Dean for their collaboration “Rein Me In”; sombr for international artist of the year and international song of the year with “undressed”; Myles Smith‘s “Nice to Meet You” for song of the year; and Gigi Perez‘s “Sailor Song” for international song of the year.

The 2026 BRIT Awards take place Feb. 28.

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

The music of Neil Young to be celebrated at Americanafest pre-Grammy concert

The music of Neil Young to be celebrated at Americanafest pre-Grammy concert
The music of Neil Young to be celebrated at Americanafest pre-Grammy concert
eil Young performs onstage at Light Up the Blues 7 Concert Celebrating Autism Speaks’ 20th Anniversary at The Greek Theatre on April 26, 2025 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Kevin Winter/Getty Images)

The music of Neil Young will be celebrated at a concert in Los Angeles ahead of the Grammy Awards.

The Americanafest Pre-Grammy Salute to the Songs of Neil Young, put on by the Americana Music Association and the Americana Music Foundation, will be held Jan. 31 at the Troubadour and will feature a lineup of artists performing songs from Young’s catalog. Artists participating this year include Margo Price, Rhiannon Giddens, Molly Tuttle, Maggie Rose, Sierra Hull, I’m With Here, Jesse Welles and Young the Giant.

“We are proud to continue our longstanding pre-Grammy salute tradition, and I can’t wait to see our extraordinary performers honor Neil and his incredible songs,” said Jed Hilly, executive director of the Americana Music Association. “Our organization prides itself on community. We hope this evening helps bring everyone together, as we pay it forward with a donation to MusiCares and their charitable efforts.”

Last year, the Americanafest Pre-Grammy Salute concert celebrated the music of John Haitt. Previous concerts honored the works of Paul Simon, Willie Nelson, John Prine, Loretta Lynn and others.

The concert raises money for the Americana Music Association and Americana Music Foundation, plus a portion of the night’s proceeds will benefit the Recording Academy’s charitable initiative, MusiCares.

Tickets for the concert are now available on the Troubadour’s website.

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

DHS launches ‘Operation Catch of the Day’ enforcement action in Maine

DHS launches ‘Operation Catch of the Day’ enforcement action in Maine
DHS launches ‘Operation Catch of the Day’ enforcement action in Maine
ICE Police and Immigration & Deportation (Douglas Rissing/Getty Images)

(NEW YORK) — The Department of Homeland Security has now picked another state on which to focus its immigration enforcement action: Maine.

On Wednesday, DHS launched “Operation Catch of the Day” — an operation targeting criminal illegal migrants in the state, according to a DHS spokesperson.

This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Former 1D bandmates Zayn and Louis Tomlinson debut new solo music

Former 1D bandmates Zayn and Louis Tomlinson debut new solo music
Former 1D bandmates Zayn and Louis Tomlinson debut new solo music
ZAYN performs the first night of his residency at Dolby Live At Park MGM on January 20, 2026 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Denise Truscello/Getty Images for Live Nation Las Vegas)

Two former One Direction bandmates are debuting new music.

Zayn kicked off his seven-show Las Vegas residency Tuesday night at Dolby Live at Park MGM, debuting five new unreleased songs: “Nusrat,” “Used to the Blues,” “Take Turns” and the new single “Die for Me.”

He also performed hits including “PILLOWTALK,” “What I Am” and “Swear.” Zayn continues his residency Wednesday night; it runs through Jan. 31.

Meanwhile, Louis Tomlinson debuted his new song, “Imposter,” Wednesday, along with a music video.

“Imposter was written in the jungle in Costa Rica,” Louis says in a statement. “Conceptually it leans into the idea of identity. It’s probably the most melodic moment on the record, I’m really excited for the world to finally hear it!”

He’ll be performing and sitting for a chat on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon Thursday. His new album, How Did We Get Here?, comes out on Friday.

As previously reported, Louis and Zayn will be reuniting for a 2026 Netflix series that will find them traveling across the U.S. and “opening up about life, love, loss, and fatherhood.”

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Tenacious D’s Kyle Gass speaks on Trump assassination joke fallout

Tenacious D’s Kyle Gass speaks on Trump assassination joke fallout
Tenacious D’s Kyle Gass speaks on Trump assassination joke fallout
Kyle Gass of Tenacious D performs at PNC Music Pavilion on September 06, 2023 in Charlotte, North Carolina. (Jeff Hahne/Getty Images)

Kyle Gass of Tenacious D has given his first interview since making a joke about assassinating President Donald Trump.

“It was terrible judgment, obviously,” Gass tells Rolling Stone. “I’ve felt terrible ever since, because it’s such a responsibility to not screw up like that.”

Gass made the joke during the D’s show in Sydney on July 14, 2024, which was also his 64th birthday. When asked to make a wish onstage, Gass quipped, “Don’t miss Trump next time.” A day earlier, Trump had survived an assassination attempt during a campaign rally in Pennsylvania.

As Gass’ comments began to spread online, the other half of Tenacious D, Jack Black, issued a statement saying he was “blindsided.” He added, “I would never condone hate speech or encourage political violence in any form.” Black also said the remainder of the D’s tour dates would be canceled.

Gass issued an apology, which he deleted from his Instagram a few days later.

“[The apology] was out for four or five days, and I thought, ‘It looks like a dead fish just laying there,'” Gass says of removing the post. “I really did apologize, but I took it down because it’s out there. … If I would have recanted, I would’ve said, ‘I’m taking this down because now on further reflection …’ But no. It’s out there.”

As for his relationship with Black, Gass says, “We hashed it out.”

“It was hard,” Gass says. “It is like a marriage. You go through these ups and downs, and try to understand your partner.”

Gass also declares that Tenacious D will be back.

“It’s gonna be bigger than Oasis!” Gass says.

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Supreme Court sharply critical of Trump moves on Fed, likely to keep Cook on job for now

Supreme Court sharply critical of Trump moves on Fed, likely to keep Cook on job for now
Supreme Court sharply critical of Trump moves on Fed, likely to keep Cook on job for now
Al Drago/Bloomberg via Getty Images

(WASHINGTON) — The Supreme Court on Wednesday sharply questioned President Donald Trump’s assertion of unchecked power to remove a member of the Federal Reserve over the mere allegation of gross negligence and without any opportunity for a hearing to dispute the claims.

A majority of justices also appeared likely to deny Trump’s request to immediately remove Lisa Cook from her position as litigation continues, though it was less clear whether the court would definitively weigh in on the substance of the allegations or the proper standard for removal under the law.  

This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Hudson Westbrook’s ready to play on national TV

Hudson Westbrook’s ready to play on national TV
Hudson Westbrook’s ready to play on national TV
Hudson Westbrook’s ‘Exclusive’ (Warner Records Nashville)

If you’re a fan of “House Again” hitmaker Hudson Westbrook, you may want to get up early on Thursday.

“Going to be playing the @thetodayshow with the band tomorrow!” he posted on Instagram Wednesday. “Who gonna watch me and the boys?”

This will be Hudson’s national TV performance debut, and it’s set to take place in the 9 a.m. ET hour. 

He’s promoting his new EP, Exclusive, which comes out Friday. 

“This Friday, can’t wait for y’all to hear the whole album,” he wrote in another post, along with a clip of “Lovin’ on Me,” one of the collection’s five tracks.

Meanwhile, his breakthrough song, “House Again,” continues its run in country’s top 10.  

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Talking Heads to release expanded ‘Tentative Decisions: Demos and Live’

Talking Heads to release expanded ‘Tentative Decisions: Demos and Live’
Talking Heads to release expanded ‘Tentative Decisions: Demos and Live’
Cover of Talking Heads ‘Tentative Decisions: Demos and Live’ (Talking Heads/Rhino)

In November, Talking Heads released Tentative Decisions: Demos and Live for Record Store Day Black Friday, featuring early band recordings. Now they are expanding the release.

The original Tentative Decisions: Demos and Live collection included 11 songs that showed the evolution of the band. The new release, dropping March 6, has been expanded to three CDs with the addition of 15 unreleased demos the band made for CBS in September 1975, along with live recordings from their early days in New York City.

As a preview of the release, an early CBS demo of the song “Love Goes to a Building Fire” has been released via digital outlets.

In addition, the Record Store Day version of the album, previously available on clear vinyl, will be released on black vinyl, also on March 6. In addition to 10 early demos and a live track, it comes with a 7-inch single of the Talking Heads classic “Psycho Killer” and “Warning Sign,” a track that appeared on the band’s album More Songs about Buildings and Food. They were both recorded when band members David Byrne and Tina Weymouth performed under the name The Artistics.

Tentative Decisions: Demos and Live is available for preorder now.

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

DHS increasing self-deportation stipend from $1,000 to $2,600

DHS increasing self-deportation stipend from ,000 to ,600
DHS increasing self-deportation stipend from $1,000 to $2,600
DHS is using the CBP Home Mobile App to incentivize self-deportation. (Department of Homeland Security)

(WASHINGTON) — The Department of Homeland Security announced on Wednesday that it is increasing its stipend for those who are in the United States illegally and self-deport by $1,600.

Previously, DHS offered $1,000 to those who use the Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Home App to self-deport, but now, it’s raising that number to $2,600.

DHS claimed that since January 2025, 2.2 million people who are in the U.S. illegally have voluntarily self-deported — with “tens of thousands” using the CBP app. A report from the Brookings Institution released last week called DHS’ data into question, saying the department’s numbers “should not be considered a serious source.”

“To celebrate one year of this administration, the U.S. taxpayer is generously increasing the incentive to leave voluntarily for those in this country illegally- offering a $2,600 exit bonus,” Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem said in a release. “Illegal aliens should take advantage of this gift and self-deport because if they don’t, we will find them, we will arrest them, and they will never return.”

The increased amount is to mark to the first year of President Donald Trump’s term in office, and may only be temporary, DHS said in the release.

For months, the department has been pushing self-deportations — spending millions on advertisements that showcased it’s previous $1,000 payment and a plane ticket that people who register to self-deport are given.

It’s not clear how much money in total has been given to people who have self-deported.

DHS said in the first year of Trump’s term, there were 675,000 deportations. The authors of the Brookings Institution report estimated a figure much lower last week — saying there were between 310,000 and 315,000 removals in 2025.

Deporting migrants who are illegally in the U.S. was one of Trump’s key campaign promises, but advocates have said that Immigration and Customs Enforcement and Border Patrol tactics have gone too far in some cases.

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.