Closing arguments underway in Hawaii trial of doctor accused of trying to kill wife during hike

Closing arguments underway in Hawaii trial of doctor accused of trying to kill wife during hike
Closing arguments underway in Hawaii trial of doctor accused of trying to kill wife during hike
Gerhardt Konig testifies during his attempted murder trial in Honolulu, April 2, 2026. (Pool via ABC News)

(OAHU, Hawaii) — Closing arguments are underway in the trial of a Hawaii doctor accused of trying to kill his wife on a hiking trail.

Dr. Gerhardt Konig, 47, has pleaded not guilty to second-degree attempted murder. Prosecutors allege the anesthesiologist attacked his wife, Arielle Konig, near a cliff while on the Pali Puka Trail on Oahu on March 24, 2025, by pushing her near the edge and then beating her multiple times with a rock.

The defense, meanwhile, has alleged that Arielle Konig attacked her husband first, and that he hit her with the rock in self-defense.

The jury is expected to begin deliberations Tuesday afternoon local time. If they are unable to find Gerhardt Konig guilty of second-degree attempted murder, they will consider whether he is guilty of attempted manslaughter based upon extreme mental or emotional disturbance, first-degree attempted assault, second-degree assault or third-degree assault.

Both Gerhardt Konig and his wife, who have two young sons together, took the stand during the three-week trial in Honolulu, presenting widely differing accounts of what happened on the hike.

Arielle Konig testified that the two had traveled to Oahu from their home in Maui to celebrate her birthday. She said they had been working on repairing their marriage after her husband found what she characterized as “flirty” WhatsApp messages between her and a colleague in December 2024 in what she said was an “emotional affair.”

Arielle Konig testified that during the hike, her husband pushed her toward the edge of the cliff. As they wrestled on the ground with him on top, pinning her down, he produced a syringe and vial, she said.

Arielle Konig further testified that her husband proceeded to beat her with a rock as many as 10 times, and that she believed he was trying to knock her unconscious in order to drag her over the edge of the cliff. 

Arielle Konig testified that she fought back by biting her husband’s forearm and pleaded with him, saying, “You can’t do it,” and that “our kids will be orphans — you’ll go to jail and I’ll be dead.” 

“He’s saying, ‘You’re done. We’re done with you. We don’t need you anymore. You’re done. You’re done,'” she told the court.

Arielle Konig testified that she yelled, “He’s trying to kill me,” and screamed for help, and two female hikers happened upon them. One of the hikers told a 911 operator, “Someone’s currently being attacked on the top of Pali Puka. There’s a man trying to kill her,” according to audio of the call played in court.

Prosecutors showed photos of Arielle Konig’s bloodied face following the incident. She testified that she crawled away from her husband and was helped down the rest of the trail by the two women. She said she was treated at a hospital for “severe complex scalp lacerations” and showed the court scarring on her scalp. 

Gerhardt Konig testified in his own defense over two days, maintaining that he never intended to hurt his wife and acted in self-defense when he struck her with the rock.

He told the court that his wife pushed him near the edge after they got into an argument about her affair, and that she hit him with a rock first while they struggled on the ground. He admitted to hitting her with the rock while on top of her, saying he struck her twice, though he denied having any syringes or trying to pull her toward the cliff’s edge.

Gerhardt Konig testified that he felt suicidal after the incident.

“I just felt hopeless at that point in terms of everything,” he said. “I felt horrified about what I did to her, that I had caused this to her, that I had resorted to violence against my wife, the person who I love the most in the world. And I just kind of felt hopeless in terms of our relationship, too.”

Shortly after the incident, Gerhardt Konig testified, he made a FaceTime call to his 20-year-old son from his prior marriage, Emile Konig, to say goodbye.

His son testified about the FaceTime call during the trial. Asked by the prosecutor to recount what his father said during the call, Emile Konig responded, “That he would not be making it back to Maui and to take good care of the younger kids, and that Ari, my stepmom, had been cheating on him, and that he tried to kill her.” 

“During that call, the next plan that he said was to jump off the cliff,” Emile Konig testified, adding that his father said he was “at the end of his rope.” 

Gerhardt Konig pushed back against his son’s testimony and denied making any confession. He told the court that what he said during the call was, “She said I tried to kill her.”

Gerhardt Konig was arrested following an hourslong manhunt, prosecutors said.

Arielle Konig filed for divorce in May 2025, seeking full custody of the couple’s two children.  

Gerhardt Konig, who worked as an anesthesiologist on Maui, has been in jail since his arrest. Following his arrest, Maui Health said his medical staff privileges at Maui Memorial Medical Center have been suspended pending investigation. 

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Music notes: BTS, Teddy Swims and more

Music notes: BTS, Teddy Swims and more
Music notes: BTS, Teddy Swims and more

BTS has dropped the third visual from their new album, ARIRANG. This one is for “Hooligan,” and it’s a futuristic scenario where the guys perform with a crew of masked dancers, attend what looks like a goth cocktail party, dance on a red platform and sing in dark room as people fly above them. There’s also a black-and-white sequence where a masked woman twirls swords around, and a scene where RM raps into a microphone that looks like it was made out of human bones and power cables. “Hooligan” follows the videos for “SWIM” and “2.0.”

Teddy Swims has revealed when we can hear his new song: “Mr. Know-It-All” arrives Thursday at 6 p.m. ET. It’s not clear if it’s a standalone single, or the first taste of a new album.

Want to live in the mansion that Sabrina Carpenter robbed in her video for “House Tour”? According to Wallpaper, the 13,000-square-foot home in the Hollywood Hills is on the market for $36.8 million. If you’d prefer to rent, it’s just $165,000 per month. That does get you an infinity pool, a basement nightclub, a firepit, an outdoor kitchen, six bedrooms and 10 bathrooms.

Starting Wednesday on YouTube, you can watch a video series documenting the recent concerts that Freya Skye played in London. Called Freya Skye Stars Align Tour: Live from London, it premieres at 4 p.m. ET on Freya’s YouTube channel. Meanwhile, Freya’s hit “silent treatment” just became her first to chart on the Billboard Hot 100.

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Peter Frampton’s new album, ‘Carry the Light’, celebrated with autographed turntable

Peter Frampton’s new album, ‘Carry the Light’, celebrated with autographed turntable
Peter Frampton’s new album, ‘Carry the Light’, celebrated with autographed turntable
Peter Frampton’s ‘Carry The Light’ (UMe)

Peter Frampton is releasing a brand-new album, Carry the Light, on May 15, and the release will be celebrated with a unique piece of memorabilia.

The Rock & Roll Hall of Famer announced that a limited-edition turntable will be released alongside the album. The hand-decoupaged item will feature the Carry the Light album cover artwork, will be hand autographed by Frampton and will be covered in a gloss finish.

In addition to vinyl, the turntable has the ability to stream smartphone audio through built-in Bluetooth speakers. It also features a headphone jack for personal listening.

Only 100 turntables are available for purchase and can be preordered now.

Carry the Light will be Frampton’s first album of all-new material in 16 years. The album features guest appearances by such artists as Sheryl Crow, Graham Nash, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers’ keyboardist Benmont Tench, Rage Against The Machine guitarist Tom Morello, H.E.R. and saxophonist Bill Evans.

Carry the Light is available for preorder now.

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

50 Cent documentary coming to Hulu

50 Cent documentary coming to Hulu
50 Cent documentary coming to Hulu
50 Cent headshot (G-Unit Film & Television)

While many men wish death upon 50 Cent, he now spends much of his time working on documentary series. The latest project on his slate focuses on his own life and is set to premiere on Hulu.

The untitled series will be produced by The Intellectual Property Corporation and G-Unit Film & Television, with Mandon Lovett at the helm as director. The three-part project will chronicle 50 Cent’s rise from the streets of Jamaica, Queens, to global superstardom. It will give insight into his evolution across music, business and film, and how he has “consistently transformed conflict and adversity into enduring cultural impact,” according to a press release.

“Positive vibes. focus on the win,” 50 wrote while announcing the news on Instagram. He serves as executive producer with Lovett, showrunner Patrick Altema, and IPC’s Eli Holzman and Aaron Saidman.

The project adds to 50 Cent’s list of documentary work, which include Sean Combs: The Reckoning for Netflix and The BMF Documentary: Blowing Money Fast for Starz, both of which he executive produced. Gang Wars is currently in development for A&E.

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Report: Scrapped Madonna biopic is a plot point in upcoming season of ‘The Studio’

Report: Scrapped Madonna biopic is a plot point in upcoming season of ‘The Studio’
Report: Scrapped Madonna biopic is a plot point in upcoming season of ‘The Studio’
Madonna leaves the Hotel Amen on her way to the Hotel Gritti in Venice, Italy, where season 2 of ‘The Studio’ is filming, March 16, 2026. (Stefano Mazzola/Getty Images)

All those photos and videos from the set of The Studio season 2 showing Madonna and Julia Garner together? It turns out there’s a definite method behind their madness, and it has to do with Madonna’s now-abandoned biopic.

You may recall that Madonna was going to direct a movie about her life, with Julia starring as the Material Girl. The project was shelved in 2023, and Madonna subsequently launched her Celebration Tour. But Variety, citing sources, reports that a major plot point in The Studio season 2 will involve the nonexistent film.

The show’s Continental Studios, the fictional company run by Seth Rogen’s character, will be portrayed as the producer of the project. In that capacity, it will bring the Madonna biopic to the Venice Film Festival. Madonna and Julia also attend in order to promote the film and drum up Oscar buzz. Madonna won’t be the film’s director in the fictional world of the show, however. The whole thing will play out over two episodes, Variety reports.

Meanwhile, Netflix is reportedly developing a TV series about Madonna’s life that’s unrelated to the movie; Julia isn’t part of that project.

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Nashville notes: Ray Stevens’ fall + Craig Campbell’s cornhole competition

Nashville notes: Ray Stevens’ fall + Craig Campbell’s cornhole competition
Nashville notes: Ray Stevens’ fall + Craig Campbell’s cornhole competition

Country Music Hall of Famer Ray Stevens is recovering at home from a March 29 fall that left him with a broken neck. According to a news release, he’s “fully mobile and in good spirits,” though he has to wear a neck brace for a month. His latest album, Favorites Old & New, comes out Friday. 

Jamey Johnson remembered Merle Haggard with his cover of 2010’s “Pretty When It’s New” on Monday, the anniversary of the Hag’s birth and death. 

Craig Campbell’s 12th annual Celebrity Cornhole Challenge will take place Tuesday, June 2, at Nashville’s 6th & Peabody in the days leading up to CMA Fest. He’ll announce the stars set to play on May 1. All proceeds go to the Kenny Campbell Foundation, named for Craig’s father, who died of colorectal cancer at age 36. 

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

‘Where We Go’: Thomas Rhett and Marshmello name-check Conway Twitty in new collab

‘Where We Go’: Thomas Rhett and Marshmello name-check Conway Twitty in new collab
‘Where We Go’: Thomas Rhett and Marshmello name-check Conway Twitty in new collab
Thomas Rhett (Tibrina Hobson/Getty Images)

With just six words, Marshmello solved the mystery that Thomas Rhett started last week with a “teaser” that was simply a video of him eating marshmallows out of the bag with an instrumental music bed behind it.

“Where We Go available everywhere Friday,” the DJ/producer said in a joint post on both artists’ accounts.

The update was accompanied by a photo of the two leaning against a truck bed, with Thomas in camo and jeans, while Marshmello sported his signature marshmallow-esque headpiece. 

There’s also a video preview of the song, with TR and ‘Mello bopping along as Thomas Rhett sings: “Gonna drive all night, say goodbye to the city, hit the dashboard with a little Conway Twitty/ Get your blue eyes shinin’ on the moonlight pretty/ I don’t care where we go as long as you’re here with me.” 

It’s not clear whether “Where We Go” could be the beginning of Thomas’ next record or not. In October 2025, he released the deluxe version of About a Woman, the expansion of his seventh studio album that originally came out in August 2024. 

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Find out which Taylor Swift tour inspired Anne Hathaway’s new movie

Find out which Taylor Swift tour inspired Anne Hathaway’s new movie
Find out which Taylor Swift tour inspired Anne Hathaway’s new movie
Taylor Swift performs at Optus Stadium on Oct. 19, 2018 in Perth, Australia. (Don Arnold/TAS18/Getty Images)

Taylor Swift’s Eras Tour was such a juggernaut that it’s easy to forget she had several impactful tours prior to that, and one of them helped inspire Anne Hathaway’s new movie. No, not The Devil Wears Prada 2, a different one.

The movie Mother Mary casts the actress as a major pop star known as Mother Mary, who’s seen performing songs that were written by Charli XCX, producer Jack Antonoff and others. But to stage the concert sequences, director David Lowery tells Empire magazine that his touchstone was the concert film that captured Taylor’s 2018 tour.

“Her Reputation concert film is one of the best concert films ever. It’s truly phenomenal. And for our concert sequences we looked at that repeatedly,” he tells Empire. “You would not believe the amount of time we were talking about Taylor.”

Lowery notes that he and his team specifically looked at three songs and broke them down shot by shot. 

“[We] looked at them like, ‘Okay, if we were doing these, how much would these shots cost to do in visual effects?’” he explains. “We used that as a budgeting tool, because we didn’t know how to wrap our heads around actually pulling off a stadium concert-show on a minimal budget. We were literally using Reputation as a guide. I can go on about Reputation all day.” 

And in terms of Hathaway’s character, Lowery said, “I definitely brought a lot of Taylor Swift to the table in terms of who Mother Mary was. I would often would be like, ‘Imagine Taylor Swift in ten or 15 years – that’s sort of who this character could be.’”

Mother Mary is in theaters April 17.

 

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

The Format announces fall tour dates

The Format announces fall tour dates
The Format announces fall tour dates
The Format on ‘Jimmy Kimmel Live!’ (Disney/Randy Holmes)

The Format has announced a fall U.S. tour in continued support of their comeback album, Boycott Heaven.

The outing begins Sept. 19 in Minneapolis and concludes Oct. 7 in Pittsburgh. Tickets go on sale Friday at noon local time.

For the full list of dates and all ticket info, visit TheFormat.com.

Boycott Heaven, the first album from The Format in 20 years, was released in January. It includes the single “Holy Roller.”

The Format is currently on a spring tour behind Boycott Heaven, which continues Tuesday in Dallas.

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Robert Plant and Saving Grace to perform on ‘The Late Show with Stephen Colbert’

Robert Plant and Saving Grace to perform on ‘The Late Show with Stephen Colbert’
Robert Plant and Saving Grace to perform on ‘The Late Show with Stephen Colbert’
Robert Plant performs with his band Saving Grace at Harrah’s Resort Southern California on November 23, 2025 in Valley Center, California. (Photo by K.C. Alfred / The San Diego Union-Tribune via Getty Images)

Robert Plant is headed to late-night TV.

The Rock & Roll Hall of Famer and his band Saving Grace are set to perform on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert on Wednesday.

Plant previously appeared on The Late Show back in November, sitting down for an interview with Colbert in which they nerded out over The Lord of the Rings and author J.R.R. Tolkien.

Robert Plant and Saving Grace with Suzi Dian are set wrap a U.S. tour on Tuesday at New York’s Cathedral of St. John the Divine. They then bring their tour to Argentina and Brazil starting May 10 in Buenos Aires, followed by dates in Croatia, Greece and more in June and July. A complete list of dates can be found at RobertPlant.com.

Robert Plant and Saving Grace released their self-titled debut album in September. The album, which was recorded between April 2019 and January 2025, has them covering songs by Memphis Minnie, Bob Mosley of Moby Grape, Blind Willie Johnson and more.

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.