DOJ prosecutors turned away after unannounced visit to Fed construction site: sources

DOJ prosecutors turned away after unannounced visit to Fed construction site: sources
DOJ prosecutors turned away after unannounced visit to Fed construction site: sources
Construction on the Marriner S. Eccles Federal Reserve building in Washington, DC, US, on Monday, Jan. 12, 2026. (Pete Kiehart/Bloomberg via Getty Images)

(WASHINGTON) — Prosecutors from the U.S. attorneys office in Washington were turned away Tuesday after they made an unannounced visit to the Federal Reserve, where they allegedly requested a tour of renovations that have attracted scrutiny from the Trump administration, sources familiar with the matter confirmed to ABC News.

The unusual visit prompted immediate backlash from an attorney for Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell, who wrote a letter to D.C. U.S. Attorney Jeanine Pirro’s office, citing the recent ruling from a federal judge that blocked subpoenas to the bank after determining DOJ’s criminal probe was driven by President Donald Trump’s political animus towards Powell.

Robert Hur, who formerly served as special counsel who investigated former President Joe Biden’s handling of classified documents and now represents Powell, warned DOJ in the letter reviewed by ABC News that future efforts to initiate contact with Fed representatives should be negotiated through legal counsel.

“As you know, Chief Judge [James] Boasberg has concluded that your interest in the Federal Reserve’s renovation project was pretextual. Should you wish to challenge that finding, the courts provide an avenue for you; it is not appropriate for you to try to circumvent it,” Hur said. “I ask that you commit not to seek to communicate with my client outside the presence of counsel.”

According to Hur’s letter, attorneys from Pirro’s office, Carlton Davis and Steven Vandervelden, and a case agent showed up at the Fed’s headquarters, stating they wished to “check on progress” and that they asked for a “tour.”

A source said they were then told they could not access the site without preauthorized clearance from Fed management and were given the contact information for the Fed’s legal counsel, after which the three left the area.

“Any construction project that has cost overruns of almost 80% over the original construction budget deserves some serious review,” Pirro said in a statement on X after the prosecutors were turned away. “And these people are in charge of monetary policy in the United States?”

Pirro publicly vented her frustrations about Boasberg’s ruling that effectively blocked her office from investigating Powell, which she has vowed to continue appealing despite threats from Republican Sen. Thom Tillis to block any confirmation of Powell’s replacement until the criminal probe is resolved.

The probe centered on Powell’s testimony to Congress last year about cost overruns in a multibillion-dollar office renovation project.

Trump on Wednesday again threatened to fire Powell if he does not step down when his term as chair ends May 15.

“I’ll have to fire him, OK, if he’s not leaving on time — I’ve held back firing him. I’ve wanted to fire him, but I hate to be controversial, you know, I want to be uncontroversial,” Trump said in an interview with Fox Business’ Maria Bartiromo.

Legal experts have questioned if Trump has the authority to fire Powell. His attempt to fire Fed Governor Lisa Cook last year is currently awaiting a decision at the Supreme Court.

The confrontational visit also comes as Pirro’s name has repeatedly been floated as a potential permanent replacement for Pam Bondi as the next attorney general.

Powell rebuked the investigation in a video message in January as a politically motivated effort to influence the Fed’s interest rate policy.

Pirro, at a press conference in March, denied that politics played any role in her probe of Powell and the focus was whether public money has been wasted as a result of the Fed’s renovations, and potential false statements to Congress by Powell about the operations.

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Ville Valo ‘would love to play’ with HIM again: ‘They are my brothers’

Ville Valo ‘would love to play’ with HIM again: ‘They are my brothers’
Ville Valo ‘would love to play’ with HIM again: ‘They are my brothers’
Ville Valo performs at Logomo on April 24, 2024 in Turku, Finland. (Venla Shalin/Redferns)

HIM frontman Ville Valo is open to getting the “Wings of a Butterfly” outfit back together.

The Finnish rockers broke up after a final show on New Year’s Eve 2017 in their home country, but Valo tells Metal Hammer he “would love to play with the lads again someday.”

“I miss those fellows. They are my brothers,” Valo says. “But there’s also beauty in the fact we didn’t strangle each other at the end, or start travelling in separate limos. So there is that to be said. I felt it was the right way to bury the corpse. HIM was and is my life. It was very hard to let go of that.”

Valo says he hasn’t “really been in touch with [his former bandmates] much,” but noted that they were “still good friends” when HIM ended.

“We’d just grown apart,” Valo says.

Valo has since launched a solo project called VV. The debut VV album, Neon Noir, was released in 2023.

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Zach Cregger to direct ‘Weapons’ prequel ‘Gladys,’ original sci-fi thriller ‘The Flood’

Zach Cregger to direct ‘Weapons’ prequel ‘Gladys,’ original sci-fi thriller ‘The Flood’
Zach Cregger to direct ‘Weapons’ prequel ‘Gladys,’ original sci-fi thriller ‘The Flood’
Amy Madigan as Aunt Gladys in ‘Weapons.’ (Warner Bros. Pictures)

Two new Zach Cregger movies are on the way.

The Weapons helmer will direct two new movies for Warner Bros. Pictures, the studio has announced.

One will be a prequel to Weapons titled Gladys. It will follow the character Aunt Gladys, who was portrayed by Amy Madigan in Weapons. Madigan went on to win an Oscar for her performance in the horror film.

Gladys will be released in theaters on Sept. 8, 2028. Along with directing, Cregger will write the film with Zach Shields. Vertigo Entertainment’s Roy Lee and Miri Yoon will produce it.

Additionally, Cregger is set to write and direct a sci-fi thriller called The Flood. It is an original story from Cregger. The Flood will release in theaters on Aug. 11, 2028. Amblin Entertainment and Vertigo Entertainment are set to produce the picture.

Warner Bros. Picture Group’s Mike De Luca and Pam Abdy said in a press release that “Zach is the kind of filmmaker we prize—one committed to creating unforgettable theatrical experiences. We value the collaborative spirit he brings to every stage of the process and look forward to continuing our work together.”

Cregger said he’s excited to continue working with the teams at Warner Bros. Pictures and New Line Cinema.

“They are true champions of bold creativity, united by a shared ambition to deliver unforgettable theatrical experiences for audiences. That’s the dream for any filmmaker,” Cregger said.

Cregger made his directing debut with the 2022 film Barbarian. His next movie, Resident Evil, which is based on the popular video game franchise, releases this September.

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

RAYE to receive Hal David Starlight Award at Songwriters Hall of Fame induction

RAYE to receive Hal David Starlight Award at Songwriters Hall of Fame induction
RAYE to receive Hal David Starlight Award at Songwriters Hall of Fame induction
RAYE attends the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony, November, 2025 (Disney/Cristian Lopez)

After taking home a special Grammy award for her songwriting, RAYE has now been named the recipient of a another special honor, this time at the Songwriters Hall of Fame.

The Grammys gave RAYE the Harry Belafonte Best Song for Social Change. On June 11, she’ll receive the Hal David Starlight Award at the Songwriters Hall of Fame Induction and Awards Dinner in New York City. The award, which was created in 2004, honors “young songwriters who are making a significant impact in the music industry with their original songs.”

Past winners include Taylor Swift, Nick Jonas, Ed Sheeran, Jason Mraz, John Mayer, Rob Thomas, Gracie Abrams, Sara Bareilles and Alicia Keys.

Music legend Nile Rodgers, chairman of the Songwriters Hall of Fame, said in a statement that the “Where Is My Husband!” singer “writes from the deepest, most unguarded part of herself, and somehow makes the whole world feel seen in the process.”

He continued, “What makes her story so remarkable is that long before she was a superstar in her own right, she was already quietly shaping the sound of a generation” — referring to her past career as a writer for artists including Beyoncé, Ellie Goulding, Charli XCX and Little Mix.

Rodgers added, “This award doesn’t just shine a light on her talent — it illuminates a journey that has been extraordinary from the very beginning.”

Artists being inducted this year include Taylor Swift, Alanis Morissette, Kenny Loggins, and Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley of KISS.

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

As Alan Jackson retires from the road, you can drive away in his Corvette

As Alan Jackson retires from the road, you can drive away in his Corvette
As Alan Jackson retires from the road, you can drive away in his Corvette
Alan Jackson’s Last Call: One More for the Road – The Finale (Doussan Music Group and Peachtree Entertainment)

If you’re an Alan Jackson fan and an auto enthusiast, this is the ultimate: AJ’s giving away his personal 2013 Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport convertible as part of a fundraiser.

You can also win a VIP trip to Last Call: One More for the Road — The Finale June 27 at Nashville’s Nissan Stadium. That’s especially significant since Alan’s star-studded final show sold out within a matter of hours. 

A dollar from each ticket’s already going to research for Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease, which played a part in his decision to come off the road. The new contest will benefit the CMT Research Foundation, as well.  

You can find all the info at alltroo.com

If you enter by June 5, you’ll be eligible to win two premium tickets, airfare, hotel and the car Alan drove for many years. After that, the sweepstakes continues through July 10, but only the Corvette is on the table. 

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Joe Perry on Aerosmith’s future: ‘You never know’

Joe Perry on Aerosmith’s future: ‘You never know’
Joe Perry on Aerosmith’s future: ‘You never know’
Aerosmith’s Joe Perry at the 2025 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony (Disney/Frank Micelotta)

Joe Perry sounds hopeful that Aerosmith isn’t over for good.

Fans have been wondering about the future of the band ever since they canceled their Peace Out farewell tour in 2024 due to frontman Steven Tyler’s continued vocal problems. Now, in a new interview with Billboard to promote the recently released Legendary Edition of Aerosmith’s 1973 self-titled debut album, Perry noted that there’s still a possibility of more Aerosmith in the future.

“The band is still kind of definitely not in touring mode, but there are certainly other options, so we stay in touch,” he tells the mag, adding about the band’s future, “You never know.”

“It’s just been in the last six months that Steven’s started to get comfortable with singing; he literally had to take a year off before he was able to start stretching his vocal cords, and you’re always worried about reinjuring it,” he continues. “I learned a long time ago that everything we do is fragile … so we just take it day by day. You hope for the best.”

Perry adds, “You just have to have the confidence and have that vision of positive in front of you. You can’t do it unless you envision it.”

Aerosmith did give fans a sign of hope for more music this past September, releasing a new EP, One More Time, with Yungblud.

Perry has also been keeping himself busy with other projects. He went on tour with The Joe Perry Project in 2025, and in August, he’ll hit the road with Hollywood Vampires on a U.K. and European tour.

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Molotov cocktail apparently used to start fire at Tesla sales office: ATF

Molotov cocktail apparently used to start fire at Tesla sales office: ATF
Molotov cocktail apparently used to start fire at Tesla sales office: ATF
A suspected Molotov cocktail incendiary device was used to start a fire at the front door of a Tesla sales office in Louisiana, April 14, 2026, according to officials. (ATF New Orleans Field Division)

(NEW ORLEANS) — An apparent Molotov cocktail was used to start a fire outside a Tesla sales office in New Orleans, according to federal officials.

The incendiary device sparked a blaze at the office’s front door just before 8 a.m. Tuesday, according to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and New Orleans police.

No one was injured, but the business suffered damage, police said.

No arrests have been made, police said. 

ABC News’ Ahmad Hemingway contributed to this report.

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Ian McKellen, Elijah Wood and more cast in ‘The Lord of the Rings: The Hunt for Gollum’

Ian McKellen, Elijah Wood and more cast in ‘The Lord of the Rings: The Hunt for Gollum’
Ian McKellen, Elijah Wood and more cast in ‘The Lord of the Rings: The Hunt for Gollum’
The official cast list for ‘The Lord of the Rings: The Hunt for Gollum.’ (Warner Bros. Pictures)

The cast for The Lord of the Rings: The Hunt for Gollum has been revealed.

Warner Bros. Pictures and New Line Cinema have officially announced that a few of the original Lord of the Rings cast members are set to reprise their celebrated performances in director Andy Serkis’ upcoming film.

Ian McKellen will return as the wizard Gandalf the Grey, Elijah Wood will once again play the hobbit Frodo Baggins, Lee Pace will reprise his part as Thrandruil and Serkis will, of course, perform the role of Gollum and his alter ego, Sméagol.

Joining The Lord of the Rings universe this time around are Jamie Dornan as Strider, the chief of the Northern Dúnedain Rangers, and Leo Woodall, who will play another of the Dúnedain, Halvard. Strider leads the hunt across Middle-earth for Gollum while Halvard accompanies him on the dangerous mission.

Also confirmed to join the film’s cast is Kate Winslet. As the film’s story delves into Gollum’s past, it will explore a time when he was a young Stoorish boy named Sméagol. Winslet will portray one of the key players in the settlement of Stoors — the matriarch Marigol.

In a press release, Serkis said, “Across two trilogies, a mark of a Middle-earth film, has always been the formidable array of talent brought to bear in every role. The Hunt for Gollum continues in that tradition, and I am delighted to announce the return of two of Middle-earth’s most beloved performers, alongside some exceptionally talented new additions to Tolkien’s world.”

The Lord of the Rings: The Hunt for Gollum arrives in theaters on Dec. 17, 2027.

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

‘She’s So Gone’: Dasha sings her reinvention song on Kelly Clarkson

‘She’s So Gone’: Dasha sings her reinvention song on Kelly Clarkson
‘She’s So Gone’: Dasha sings her reinvention song on Kelly Clarkson
Mickey Mouse, Dasha, Minnie Mouse (Disney/Catherine Powell)

“She’s So Gone,” but we know where she’s headed: Dasha’s set to perform her Main Street Country track Friday on The Kelly Clarkson Show

Dasha’s contribution to the new Disney covers EP comes from a 2011 TV movie. 

“I think ‘She’s So Gone’ is one of the most iconic songs to come out of Disney Channel,” the “Austin” hitmaker says. “I remember watching Lemonade Mouth for the first time and the whole movie had me plotting how I was going to reinvent myself before school the next day.”

“This track really captures that moment when women find themselves and boldly show the world who they are,” she continues. “I’m so excited to share this with a new generation and remind them that they can reinvent themselves and be exactly who they want to be.”

Check your local listings to see when The Kelly Clarkson Show airs in your area.

In the meantime, you can go behind-the-scenes as Dasha lays down her track for Main Street Country, which also includes contributions from Kane Brown and Katelyn Brown, Maddie & Tae, Breland and Restless Road.

Disney is the parent company of ABC News and Walt Disney Records.

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

‘She’s So Gone’: Dasha sings her reinvention song on Kelly Clarkson

‘She’s So Gone’: Dasha sings her reinvention song on Kelly Clarkson
‘She’s So Gone’: Dasha sings her reinvention song on Kelly Clarkson
Mickey Mouse, Dasha, Minnie Mouse (Disney/Catherine Powell)

“She’s So Gone,” but we know where she’s headed: Dasha’s set to perform her Main Street Country track Friday on The Kelly Clarkson Show

Dasha’s contribution to the new Disney covers EP comes from a 2011 TV movie. 

“I think ‘She’s So Gone’ is one of the most iconic songs to come out of Disney Channel,” the “Austin” hitmaker says. “I remember watching Lemonade Mouth for the first time and the whole movie had me plotting how I was going to reinvent myself before school the next day.”

“This track really captures that moment when women find themselves and boldly show the world who they are,” she continues. “I’m so excited to share this with a new generation and remind them that they can reinvent themselves and be exactly who they want to be.”

Check your local listings to see when The Kelly Clarkson Show airs in your area.

In the meantime, you can go behind-the-scenes as Dasha lays down her track for Main Street Country, which also includes contributions from Kane Brown and Katelyn Brown, Maddie & Tae, Breland and Restless Road.

Disney is the parent company of ABC News and Walt Disney Records.

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.