Yankees-Red Sox game on following positive COVID-19 tests

Dmytro Aksonov/iStock

(NEW YORK) — Friday’s New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox game is on after Thursday’s clash in the Bronx was postponed following six positive COVID-19 tests on the Yankees roster. 

“After conducting testing and contact tracing involving members of the New York Yankees’ organization, the Club’s home game tonight vs. the Boston Red Sox at Yankee Stadium will proceed as scheduled,” said  Major League Baseball in a statement.

The game gets underway at 7:05 ET. 

During his pre-game press conference, New York Manager Aaron Boone announced there were no additional positive tests on Friday. 

Aaron Judge, Gio Urshela, Kyle Higashioka, Jonathan Loaisiga, Nestor Cortes Jr., and Wandy Peralta are all on the COVID-19 injured list after their tests were confirmed, according to ESPN. 

Thursday’s game will be played as part of a double-header on Tuesday, August 17. 

The Yankees are in fourth place in the American League East, eight games behind the first-place Red Sox.

Copyright © 2021, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Washington Nationals’ Starlin Castro placed on administrative leave

Photo by Phil Ellsworth / ESPN Images

(WASHINGTON) — Washington Nationals infielder Starlin Castro has been placed on administrative leave, Major League Baseball announced on Friday.

The Athletic reported earlier on Friday that the league was investigating an alleged domestic violence incident that took place earlier this summer. Castro would be on leave for seven days, during which he is still paid his normal salary.

The leave could also be extended by additional seven-day increments if the league and the MLB Players Association agree to do so.

Castro was placed on the restricted list on June 16 due to what Nationals manager Dave Martinez then referred to as “a family matter.” The Athletic says that matter is not believed to be related to the alleged domestic violence incident.

Castro was previously accused of sexual assault in 2011, but charges were not filed.

Copyright © 2021, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Saints defensive tackle David Onyemata announced failed drug test

Chris Graythen/Getty Images

(NEW ORLEANS) — New Orleans Saints defensive tackle David Onyemata announced on Instagram that he failed a drug test.

“I was informed by the NFLPA yesterday that I have tested positive for a banned substance resulting in a suspension for part of the 2021 NFL season,” Onyemata wrote in an Instagram story. “While I was certainly surprised and disappointed with this news, I am responsible for what I put in my body. As I have never knowingly taken anything that could cause a positive test, we are currently in the process of testing the supplements I was taking at the time of the test. Regardless, I am committed to being more aware of any medication and dietary supplements that may contain substances banned by the NFL.”

The NFL has not announced the suspension yet. 

ESPN reports, Onyemata was suspended one game in 2019 for a misdemeanor summons for marijuana possession. 

Last season, Onyemata had 6.5 sacks and 44 total tackles.

Copyright © 2021, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Kevin Love withdraws from US Olympic basketball team

Photo by Joe Faraoni/ESPN Images

(NEW YORK) — Cleveland Cavaliers forward Kevin Love is withdrawing from the Olympics and will not play for Team USA, his agent told ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski Friday.

Love spent ten days with the U.S. Men’s National Basketball Team in Las Vegas, preparing for the upcoming Olympics. But Love continues to recover from a right calf injury that forced him to miss much of the NBA season.

“I am incredibly disappointed to not be heading to Tokyo with Team USA,” Love said in a statement. “But you need to be at absolute peak performance to compete at the Olympic level and I am just not there yet.”

Love is the second player Team USA will have to replace on short notice, after Washington Wizards star Bradley Beal was forced to withdraw due to COVID-19 protocols. Beal entered the health and safety protocol for the virus earlier this week.

USA Basketball also announced late Thursday that its exhibition matchup against Australia, scheduled for Friday night, was being canceled. That after a second USA player, Detroit Pistons star Jerami Grant, was also placed in the health and safety protocol.

Team USA’s final exhibition game is scheduled for Sunday against Spain. They are expected to fly to Japan on Monday, before their Olympic Opener on July 25.

Copyright © 2021, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Richard Sherman released without bail after attempt to break into in-laws’ home

Photo by Kohjiro Kinno / ESPN Images

(SEATTLE) — A judge ordered NFL star Richard Sherman be released from jail without bail on Thursday, one day after he was arrested on suspicion of trying to break into his in-laws’ home in Washington state.

Sherman did not appear in court Thursday, where King County District Court Judge Fa’amomoi Masaniai found probable cause that Sherman committed four offenses, including misdemeanor and gross misdemeanor charges of criminal trespass in the second degree.

The other charges against Sherman are malicious mischief in the third degree, and misdemeanor charges of resisting arrest and driving under the influence.

While prosecutors requested $10,000 bail, the judge called Sherman a “pillar of the community,” and said that it was presumed Sherman would be released because the allegations represent his first arrest. The 33-year-old Sherman was also ordered not to have contact with his father-in-law, not possess a weapon, and not use alcohol or non-prescription drugs.

“I love and support my husband,” Sherman’s wife Ashley Sherman said in a statement Thursday. “I am committed to helping Richard get the support and care that he needs. Richard has always been a loving father and husband. And we are looking forward to seeing him at home with his family.”

Police reports indicated that Sherman was belligerent, had been drinking heavily, and spoke of killing himself when he left his home late Tuesday night. His wife called 9-1-1 to try to have police stop him.

He was later arrested after having crashed his car in a construction zone along a busy highway and then attempting to break into his in-laws’ home.

Sherman’s father-in-law, Raymond Moss, told officers that he armed himself with a handgun and used pepper spray to protect his family from Sherman, who had tried to break down the door of their home with his shoulder.

He told officers that he was upset over his children being taken from him. When the officers directed him to kneel down to be handcuffed and placed under arrest, they say Sherman ignored those commands and became increasingly hostile. A K-9 unit was eventually used to help apprehend Sherman.

King County prosecutors and the sheriff obtained an “extreme risk protection order” for Sherman in February, which barred him from having guns. That came after a judge had determined that he posed a danger to himself or others.

Ashley Sherman told police that her husband has been on antidepressants and was receiving mental health counseling.

Copyright © 2021, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Cavaliers forward Kevin Love withdraws from Olympic team

Ethan Miller/Getty Images

(LAS VEGAS) — Cleveland Cavaliers forward Kevin Love has withdrawn from the US Olympic team, his agent told ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski. 

“I am incredibly disappointed to not be heading to Tokyo with Team USA,” Love said in a statement released by his agent Jeff Schwartz, “but you need to be at absolute peak performance to compete at the Olympic level and I am just not there yet.” 

Love has been recovering from a calf injury that forced him to miss most of last season. He spent the past ten days with the team preparing in Las Vegas. 

Love appeared in two of the three tune-up games, playing 15 minutes total, 3 minutes against Nigeria, and 12 minutes against Argentina. He scored a combined one point. 

Team USA, which is going for its fourth straight Olympic gold medal, will now have to replace a second player. Washington guard Bradley Beal was placed in health and safety protocols and was forced to drop out of the games. 

Detroit guard Jerami Grant was also put into protocol “out of an abundance of caution.”

Late Thursday night, USA Basketball announced it canceled its game against Australia on Friday. 

Copyright © 2021, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Tampa Bay Times: Brady played 2020 season with torn MCL

Cliff Welch/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

(TAMPA BAY, Fla.) — Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Tom Brady played the 2020 NFL season with a torn medial collateral ligament in his left knee, according to a report from the Tampa Bay Times.

Brady led the Bucs to the Super Bowl victory in February over the Kansas City Chiefs.

The paper says Brady suffered the injury during his final season with New England.

Brady declined to give specifics on the injury in June.

“It was an injury I dealt with really since last, you know, April, May,” said Brady, after Tampa Bay’s mandatory minicamp. “I knew I would have to do something at the end of the year, and happy I did it, and it was probably something that certainly needed to be done, and there was a great outcome, so I’m very happy about that.

The Tampa Bay Times said the injury got worse during the season, but Brady never appeared on an injury report. He did miss one practice a week towards the end of the season, according to the paper.

Brady had surgery following the Super Bowl 55.

“[I’m] really happy with my rehab process,” said the Super Bowl MVP. “It’s been great communication. Alex [Guerrero] – Brady’s trainer – and I have worked really hard at trying to get back to full speed to get [back] to what I need to do to begin to improve.”

Brady tore his anterior cruciate ligament in the same knee in 2008 while playing for New England.

The 43-year old threw for 4,633 yards and 40 touchdowns last season while leading the Buccaneers to an 11-5 regular-season record.

Copyright © 2021, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Scoreboard roundup — 7/15/21

iStock

(NEW YORK) — Here are the scores from Thursday’s sports events:

MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL

AMERICAN LEAGUE
Boston at NY Yankees (Postponed)

Copyright © 2021, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

See Ralph Lauren’s official 2021 Team USA Olympics opening ceremony uniforms

Instagram/@ralphlauren

(NEW YORK) — A little more than a week ahead of the Tokyo Summer Olympics, Ralph Lauren has revealed what Team USA athletes will be wearing for the opening ceremony.

The classic all-American look includes a navy blazer, a striped shirt, printed scarf, a striped belt and slim-cut denim pants. There were also protective face masks created to match the look, which incorporates rich hues of red, white and blue throughout.

With these new uniforms, the brand has also debuted its RL COOLING wearable technology, which has a self-regulating temperature cooling device that will be incorporated into Team USA’s flag bearer’s uniform during the opening ceremony parade.

David Lauren, Ralph Lauren Corporation’s chief branding and innovation officer and vice chairman of the board, said in a statement that the brand is celebrating “America’s pioneering spirit and tradition while embracing modernity and innovation.”

“Recognizing Tokyo’s summer heat, we sought to develop a solution for Team USA that fuses fashion and function — allowing them to look and feel their best on one of the world’s biggest stages,” Lauren said in a statement.

The fashion label initially started exploring thermal management systems within its apparel in 2018 with its heated jacket at the Olympic Winter Games in Pyeongchang, South Korea.

Advanced Research Projects Agency-Energy, an agency of the United States Department of Energy, suggests that personal thermal management is a portable and localized solution that, if scaled, has the potential to reduce the reliance on mass energy-intensive cooling systems, like HVAC systems, for personal comfort.

“Ralph Lauren’s dedication to providing innovative, sustainable and functional outfits for Team USA athletes helps elevate their Games time experience,” Peter Zeytoonjian, senior vice president of consumer products at U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Properties, said in a statement. “As our Olympic and Paralympic athletes step out on the global stage this summer, we’re proud to have the continued support of a brand whose thoughtful approach to how they can better serve our athletes uniquely benefits Team USA.”

In April, Ralph Lauren also revealed Team USA’s Tokyo Olympics closing ceremony uniforms, which include crisp white, blue and red looks and a drawstring jacket with an American flag on the sleeve, a Polo shirt, a striped belt and denim pants.

For anyone wanting to show their patriotic spirit, Ralph Lauren has also made its 2020 Team USA collection available to buy in select Ralph Lauren stores and online.

Copyright © 2021, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Simone Biles says Team USA ‘ready for whatever they throw at us’ at Tokyo Olympics

ABC News

(NEW YORK) — Simone Biles is off to Tokyo.

The four-time Olympic Gold medalist left for the 2021 Olympics Wednesday with the rest of Team USA and before jetting off, Biles sat down with ABC News’ Kaylee Hartung for her last one-on-one interview before the competition at United Airlines’ send off event for the team.

“It means the world to me. I did it in 2016 at various time for World Championships, so to have another opportunity, it’s just amazing,” Biles told ABC’s Good Morning America about representing the U.S. for a second time at the Summer Games.

However, this year will be different for Biles and many athletes coming back to the Olympics to take home the gold or reclaim their titles.

With many COVID protocols in place, there will be no spectators in the stands to feed off energy from during the games and athletes will have to follow a set of rules to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

“We’ve had a lot of calls because COVID protocols will be different for an Olympic Games, as we’ve seen in previous seasons of all different sports so far this year,” Biles said. “As for the crowd, that’ll be super weird because it’ll kind of be like training. We’ve never done that as well either. So it’ll be a different experience, but we’re ready for whatever they throw at us.”

For Biles, participating in the 2021 Olympic Games means competing and traveling solo for the first time without her family cheering her on in the stands.

“I honestly have never done a competition without my parents there, so I’m a little bit nervous, but I know they’ll be there in spirit,” she said. “My mom is like, ‘Please FaceTime me before.’ So I’m sure she’ll be calling me as we get ready because they’ll be up already and ready to watch.”

Though her parents won’t be there with her in Tokyo, Biles is in good company of her teammates, Sunisa Lee, 18, Grace McCallum, 18, MyKayla Skinner, 24, Jade Carey, 21, and Jordan Chiles, 20, who Biles has become close with over the past year.

“She’s doing so amazing right now,” said Biles about Chiles. “She’s like my little sister, so I’m really proud. I’m excited for her and I think she deserves this. People are finally seeing what she’s capable of.”

At 24 years old, Biles is attempting to become the first woman to win consecutive Olympic titles in more than 50 years. It’s a challenge she almost didn’t take on due to the ups and downs of 2020 overall and the uncertainty about competing.

“At the end of the day, it was the uncertainty. We knew that the games were postponed — we didn’t know for how long,” said Biles.

When she was given the news about how long the games were going to be postponed for, she thought about taking time off.

“Mentally and physically — it’s just so draining and we had been prepared. We were already on the rise, to go to the Olympic Games or to try to compete, so it’s just like, it was a whirlwind,” she said.

Despite the challenges over the past year, Biles is confident that the team is ready to compete.

“We’ll still bring the joy and we’ll bring back the medal,” she said.

Copyright © 2021, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.