Bryan Adams is “ever so grateful” to Taylor Swift for inspiring him to rerecord his past hits

Bryan Adams is “ever so grateful” to Taylor Swift for inspiring him to rerecord his past hits
Bryan Adams is “ever so grateful” to Taylor Swift for inspiring him to rerecord his past hits
Bryan Adams

Bryan Adams recently released Classic and Classic Part 2, featuring rerecordings of his biggest hits, like “Cuts Like a Knife” and “Everything I Do (I Do It For You).” He did it for the same reason as Taylor Swift — to gain control over his older songs — and says he wouldn’t have done it if it weren’t for her.

“I’m ever so grateful to Taylor for creating the impetus to make it happen,” he tells ABC Audio. “Because I thought, ‘Well, now, if she can do it, I should do it, too.’ And so I got started on a couple of tracks and they turned out really good. And so I just kept going.”

“It’s very much about Taylor’s empowerment of artists and her sort of championing the artist,” he adds. “And I love that she’s done that … I think a lot of artists should do the same.”

Bryan remembered how he recorded most his songs years ago, so he was able to duplicate them fairly easily. But he had a hard time remembering what guitar he used for “Summer of ’69.” He finally realized that back in 1985, he only had one guitar. He dug it out, along with his old guitar pedal.

“I plugged it in, and as if by magic, it was the sound,” he says.

The Classic albums are just two of four albums he’s put out so far this year: rounding out the list is So Happy It Hurts and an album of songs he wrote for Broadway musical Pretty Woman.

“It’s unreal. Four albums: I never thought I’d do that in a year,” he laughs. “But yeah, there is more music. I just put out a Christmas song and I’m in the middle of making another album, so it’s been an incredibly creative time.”

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

No loss here: Drake and 21 Savage album ‘Her Loss’ tops Billboard chart

No loss here: Drake and 21 Savage album ‘Her Loss’ tops Billboard chart
No loss here: Drake and 21 Savage album ‘Her Loss’ tops Billboard chart
Prince Williams/Wireimage

Drake and 21 Savage‘s album Her Loss has earned the top slot on the Billboard 200 chart dated November 19. 

The accomplishment marks the collaboration album as the year’s largest week for R&B/hip-hop, according to BillboardIt’s also the fourth-biggest streaming week of any album ever. 

Her Loss earned the number one spot thanks for earning 404,000 equivalent album units for the week ending November 10, with streaming playing a major part, according to Luminate, the company that provides sales data to Billboard.

The 16-track project is Drake’s 12th number one album. The “God’s Plan” rapper now holds the title of the artist with the third-most number one albums, trailing behind The Beatles with 19 and Jay-Z with 14. 

After originally announcing an October 28 release, Her Loss was postponed to and finally arrived on November 4.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Joe Jonas says wife Sophie Turner is “the best acting coach ever”

Joe Jonas says wife Sophie Turner is “the best acting coach ever”
Joe Jonas says wife Sophie Turner is “the best acting coach ever”
Amy Sussman/WireImage

Joe Jonas stars in the upcoming Korean War drama Devotion and credits his wife, Sophie Turner, for helping him prepare for such a serious acting role.

Joe told Mr Porter preparing for Devotion wasn’t easy because it was a completely different animal than his prior acting gigs. He starred on the Disney Channel show Jonas and the Camp Rock movies.

“The style is obviously different,” he began. “Disney is slapstick and loud — the more Blippi you can be the better. I had to unlearn that. Everything is 10 steps back, even every facial reaction.”

He turned to his wife — “the best acting coach ever” — to help him prepare for the role. 

Joe said Sophie would run lines with him while Devotion was in production.

The Jonas Brothers member also revealed he took inspiration from Oscar-winning actor Matthew McConaughey. “He’s a dragon slayer,” Joe said. “[McConaughey would] share stories about the extremes he would go to to feel what his characters feel, standing barefoot on the ledge of a 20-story building, his feet bleeding. I knew I wasn’t going to be able to go to his level, but for me, it meant I had to step up.”

Elsewhere in the interview, Joe revealed the meaning behind his collab “Not Alone” with Khalid, which he composed for the movie. “I wanted it to be a male duet, partially because this movie tells the story of these two guys that have this deeply emotional bond … I wanted to match that in some version,” he said.

Joe stars as aviator Marty “Skip” Goode in the film, which flies into theaters on November 23.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Bruce Springsteen says he plays every live show like it’s his “first night”

Bruce Springsteen says he plays every live show like it’s his “first night”
Bruce Springsteen says he plays every live show like it’s his “first night”
Jemal Countess/Getty Images

Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band will soon kick off their first tour in six years, and it’s no wonder fans are clamoring for tickets: Springsteen says he tries to play each show like it’s the first time he’s ever performed.

Appearing on the Questlove Supreme podcast, Bruce explains, “My band have been together for 50 years. So we’ve got a lot of history and we’ve got a lot of experience. And on the last tour, we played 200 songs … 200 different songs.” He adds, “Usually, once the tour gets rolling, the show is regularly different on a night-to-night basis.”

Springsteen says he maps out what songs he wants to play before every concert and then tells the band to “refresh” themselves on his choices, “because we might play it tonight.”

Then the rehearsals start. “We don’t just play 3 1/2 hours a night. We’re there [at the venue] in the afternoon,” he explains, noting that sound checks can sometimes last for two hours to give the band enough time to ensure any deep cuts he’s chosen sound just as good as his set list staples.

“It’s just fun,” he exclaims. “Surprising that audience here and there, it’s fun to do. It’s wonderful.”

As he puts it, “It remains an honor to play for our audience. And that’s the way that I approach it. And that’s what I insist from the band on a nightly basis. You come out, your name is on the line every single night — I don’t care how long you’ve been doing it. You have an opportunity to impact somebody’s life tonight.”

The Boss ended the interview with a mic-drop moment, declaring, “Every night is somebody’s first night. I want to play like it’s my first night.”

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Andrew Watt forms a new “Wrecking Crew” with Chad Smith, Duff McKagan & Josh Klinghoffer

Andrew Watt forms a new “Wrecking Crew” with Chad Smith, Duff McKagan & Josh Klinghoffer
Andrew Watt forms a new “Wrecking Crew” with Chad Smith, Duff McKagan & Josh Klinghoffer
Jeff Kravitz/FilmMagic

When Eddie Vedder, Ozzy Osbourne and Iggy Pop decided to work with Andrew Watt, they not only recruited one of today’s most in-demand producers, but they also got an all-star backing band.

Vedder’s solo album Earthling featured Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith and ex-RHCP guitarist Josh Klinghoffer, while the Prince of Darkness’ last two albums, 2020’s Ordinary Man and this year’s Patient Number 9, were backed by artists including Smith and Guns N’ Roses bassist Duff McKagan. Smith, McKagan and Klinghoffer also joined Watt for the Godfather of Punk’s upcoming album.

Speaking with ABC Audio, Watt likens his collaborators to another famed session band.

“Chad, Duff, Josh, it’s kind of like our LA Wrecking Crew,” Watt says.

Watt marvels at how Smith, McKagan and Klinghoffer are all “such music historians” that “know so much about so many different types of music.”

“Their playing is a result of their love for so many different types of music,” Watt explains. “They’re all amazing songwriters. It’s not about shining through the record, it’s all song-served playing, parts-based played.”

For Watt, jamming with Smith, McKagan and Klinghoffer is just as exciting as working with the artist he’s producing.

“F***, man, forget about the artist we’re playing for, I get to play with Chad and Duff and Josh,” he says. “Some kind of dream!”

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Dolly Parton wins $100M award from Jeff Bezos to put to “great use”

Dolly Parton wins 0M award from Jeff Bezos to put to “great use”
Dolly Parton wins 0M award from Jeff Bezos to put to “great use”
Jeff Kravitz/FilmMagic

Dolly Parton is known for her charm, twang and award-winning songwriting but, behind the big hair and cowgirl boots, is also one of the most distinguished philanthropists – who now has an extra $100 million from Amazon founder Jeff Bezos to put to “great use.”

The legendary singer, who was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame last week, accepted The Bezos Award for Courage and Civility Saturday, which included a reward of $100 million.

“[Dolly Parton] gives with her heart. What she’s done for kids, and literacy, and so many other things, is just incredible,” Bezos said while presenting Parton with the award.

In 1986, Parton founded the Dollywood Foundation, a non-profit organization that began by offering scholarships to local high school students in the singer’s home state of Tennessee. The foundation grew to include Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library, a program that sends a child free books from birth until the age of 5.

Nearly four decades later, the program has since expanded internationally and in 2020 the foundation celebrated its 150 million books gifted, according to its website.

Parton also made a notable contribution to supporting the development of Moderna’s COVID-19 vaccine. Parton donated $1 million to Vanderbilt University Medical Center at the height of the 2020 pandemic to support vaccine research teams.

“When people are in a position to help, you should help. And I know I’ve always said, I try to put my money where my heart is,” Parton said while accepting the award Saturday. “I will do my best to do good things with this money.”

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Cardi B posts emotional tribute to Takeoff: “The pain is incomparable”

Cardi B posts emotional tribute to Takeoff: “The pain is incomparable”
Cardi B posts emotional tribute to Takeoff: “The pain is incomparable”
Barry Brecheisen/WireImage

Following Takeoff’s public memorial on Friday, Cardi B posted an emotional tribute to the slain Migos rapper.

“Takeoff your untimely passing has brought a great deal of pain and sorrow to so many lives,” she wrote on Instagram alongside a series of photos of Takeoff, the cousin of her husband Offset. “The impact you had in this world was so considerable and we have struggled to grasp this tragedy.”

“This has truly been a nightmare and the pain is incomparable,” she continued. “The emptiness your brothers are feeling is unbearable and I pray that you give Offset ,Quavo, and your friends and family the strength to keep going as they are trying to cope with this loss.”

She went on to say that it hurts her to look at pictures and videos of Migos together and hear their songs.

“It hurts because I know it will never be the same again—but I know your bros and y’all fans will make sure the world never forgets the impact you made,” she wrote.

Cardi ended with saying she will miss Takeoff and she hopes he is at peace. “Rest in power TakeOff,” she concluded. “I will also love you 4L & after.”

Takeoff was shot and killed in Houston on November 1 at age 28.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Custom Gibson “Guitars for Peace” played by Paul McCartney and Slash being auctioned for Ukraine relief

Custom Gibson “Guitars for Peace” played by Paul McCartney and Slash being auctioned for Ukraine relief
Custom Gibson “Guitars for Peace” played by Paul McCartney and Slash being auctioned for Ukraine relief
MJ Kim

Slash, Paul McCartney, Queen‘s Brian May, Rush‘s Alex Lifeson, The Rolling Stones Keith Richards and Ron Wood, and Halestorm’s Lzzy Hale are just some of the artists who are helping raise money for the Ukraine war relief effort this weekend.

Gibson created several limited-edition “Guitars for Peace” Les Paul custom guitars in the blue and yellow colors of the Ukrainian flag. They sent those guitars on tour with the various artists this summer, along with autograph books.

Through November 13, the guitars and the autograph books — which were also signed by artists and bands like Mark KnopflerMy Chemical Romance, Nile Rodgers and Madness — are being auctioned off by Juliens Auctions. Visit JuliensAuctions.com and navigate to their Icons & Idols: Rock ‘N’ Roll auction page for all the details.

Bidding on one of the guitars played onstage by Slash was up to $12,600 the last time we checked, while one played onstage by McCartney is at $22,500. One that’s signed by several of the artists — including Richards, Wood and May — comes with an autograph book with all the artists’ signatures. Bidding on that one is up to $9,000. Don’t want a guitar? You can bid on just an autograph book starting as low as $500.

One hundred percent of the money raised from the auction will go toward humanitarian aid for the people of Ukraine and the rebuilding efforts once the conflict ends.

“I’m happy to auction this beautiful guitar of mine to benefit the fine people of Ukraine,” says McCartney in a statement. “Hopefully it will help them through this aggressive Russian invasion.”

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

WAR releases new mix of classic album ‘The World Is a Ghetto,’ vinyl box set coming November 25

WAR releases new mix of classic album ‘The World Is a Ghetto,’ vinyl box set coming November 25
WAR releases new mix of classic album ‘The World Is a Ghetto,’ vinyl box set coming November 25
Avenue/Rhino

Fifty years ago this month, WAR’s classic album The World Is a Ghetto was released, hitting number one on the Billboard chart and going on to become the bestselling album of 1973. Now there’s a whole new way to listen to it.

Avenue/Rhino has released a new Dolby Atmos mix of the album, which features the top-10 title track and the number-two hit “Cisco Kid.” The World Is a Ghetto was WAR’s fifth album. The band was first formed in the late ’60s by ex-Animals frontman Eric Burdon and producer/songwriter Jerry Goldstein.

Meanwhile, on November 25, a four-LP multicolor vinyl box set called Eric Burdon & WAR: The Complete Vinyl Collection is being released as a limited edition for this year’s Record Store Day Black Friday event. 

The set, limited to 5,500, includes both albums Burdon and the band made together: Eric Burdon Declares War and the two-LP set The Black-Man’s Burdon, plus Love Is All Around, a 1976 collection of songs Burdon recorded with WAR but didn’t put on their albums. This marks the first time the albums are being released on vinyl since the ’70s. “Spill the Wine” and “They Can’t Take Away Our Music” are the best-known tracks on those albums.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Fans pay tribute to slain rapper Takeoff in Atlanta celebration of life ceremony

Fans pay tribute to slain rapper Takeoff in Atlanta celebration of life ceremony
Fans pay tribute to slain rapper Takeoff in Atlanta celebration of life ceremony
Barry Brecheisen/WireImage

Thousands of fans gathered on a rainy Friday in Atlanta to pay their respects to Migos rapper Takeoff, who was shot and killed in Houston on November 1.

Fans were joined by family and friends of the slain rapper for a celebration of life in the rapper’s hometown. The memorial was held at the State Farm Arena, the home of the Atlanta Hawks, where Takeoff was a regular.

“It’s a sad day but you have to celebrate because he is one creative person. He has brought joy to us. Not just us — internationally,” a fan told ABC Atlanta affiliate WSB-TV on Friday as she lined up outside the arena.

Takeoff, birth name Kirshnik Khari Ball, was shot and killed outside the 810 Billiards & Bowling in downtown Houston following a private event, police said. He was 28. Quavo, Takeoff’s uncle and one-third of Migos, who was also present at the time, was not injured.

Police said that shots were fired following an argument and urged the public to come forward with tips. There is no indication the rapper was involved in the dispute, according to police, who said the investigation is ongoing.

“[His loss] hit home,” a fan who was lined up outside the State Farm Arena told WSB-TV on Friday. “He did a lot for the culture. I just love their music.”

Free tickets to the celebration of life service were made available to Georgia residents, but the tickets sold out quickly; the venue asked fans who didn’t have tickets not to come to the downtown area.

The memorial service was not livestreamed, and media coverage was limited to outside the venue. The State Farm Arena did not share details regarding the program ahead of the event.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.