Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson “heartbroken” about the Maui wildfires

Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson “heartbroken” about the Maui wildfires
Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson “heartbroken” about the Maui wildfires
ABC/Paula Lobo

Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, who spent some formative years in Hawaii, posted to Instagram his feelings about the devastating Maui wildfires.

“I’m completely heartbroken over this, and I know that all of you are too,” Johnson said in the video he posted Sunday, August 13.

“Everything that I’ve seen transpire over these past couple of days, everything that continues to transpire, hour-by-hour, minute-by-minute, it’s all heartbreaking.”

Johnson added, “Thank you guys around the world for all of your love and your support and your light, your prayers. Thank you for sending them to the islands of Hawaii, the people of Hawaii.”

The Rock also posted a slideshow of the devastation, and first responders on the scene.

He captioned the post, “Heartbroken but our faith and mana is strong. First responders, health care teams, hotels, locals businesses, boots on the ground organizations and all our local heroes, stay strong – we love you and appreciate you.”

He added, “All our local families, our ohana, our aiga, stay strong thru this devastating time. Resilience resolve is our DNA. Our ancestors are in our blood. This is who we are. This is what we do. I love you. Stay strong.”

At least 96 people have died in the wildfires, with many more still missing, in what has become the worst natural disaster in the 50th state’s history.

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

In Brief: Alec Baldwin got thriller ‘Cold Deck’ in before the strike, and more

In Brief: Alec Baldwin got thriller ‘Cold Deck’ in before the strike, and more
In Brief: Alec Baldwin got thriller ‘Cold Deck’ in before the strike, and more

Alec Baldwin and Blade‘s Stephen Dorff have teamed up for the action thriller Cold Deck, according to Deadline. The movie, which completed production before the SAG-AFTRA strike commenced on July 14, follows a team of loggers who stumble upon a meth cook site deep in the forest and find themselves in a fight for survival as they’re hunted down by a drug cartel. A release date has yet to be announced…

Shelley Smith, the 1970s supermodel-turned actress best known for her work on the TV series The Associates, alongside Martin Short, died Tuesday after going into cardiac arrest days earlier, her husband Michael Maguire said in a video posted to Facebook on Wednesday. She was 70. She also starred as Captain Carolyn Engel on the NBC military series For Love and Honor with Yaphet Kotto from 1983-1984, and made guest appearances on shows like Fantasy IslandThe Love BoatDiff’rent StrokesSimon & Simon and Murder, She Wrote. Additionally, Smith appeared on numerous game shows, including Super PasswordBody Language and Dick Clark’s $10,000 Pyramid

Linda Haynes, the actress best known for her roles of barmaid Linda Forchet in the 1977 psychological thriller Rolling Thunder, and Carol in the Oscar-nominated 1980 film Brubaker opposite Robert Redford, Yaphet Kotto, Morgan Freeman and Jane Alexander, died peacefully at her home in Summerville, South Carolina on July 17, according to an obituary. She was 75. A cause of death was not given…

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

‘Barbie’ rules the box office for the fourth straight week with $33.7 million

‘Barbie’ rules the box office for the fourth straight week with .7 million
‘Barbie’ rules the box office for the fourth straight week with .7 million
Warner Bros.

Barbie had another dreamy week at the North American box office, grabbing an estimated $33.7 million and bringing it four-week tally to $526.3 million. The Greta Gerwig film added an estimated $45 million overseas, bringing its global total $1.18 billion.

Oppenheimer reclaimed second place after temporarily being dethroned by Meg 2: The Trench last week. Christopher Nolan‘s biopic delivered an estimated $18.8 million at the domestic box office, bringing its four-week total to $264.3 million. Globally, the film has earned $649 million.

Coming in third was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem, snapping up an estimated $15.8 million. It’s two-week North American tally now stands at $72.8 million. Globally, the animated film — featuring the voices of Maya RudolphJohn CenaSeth Rogen and Rose Byrne — has collected $94.7 million.

The aforementioned Meg 2: The Trench slipped to fourth place in its second week of release, earning an estimated $12.7 million, bringing its domestic gross to $54.1 million. The Jason Stathem-led movie grabbed $43.7 million for a worldwide total of $257 million.

Rounding out the top five was The Last Voyage of the Demeter, which bowed with a disappointing $6.5 million, against a production budget of $45 million.

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

‘Jurassic Park’ headed back to theaters in 3D for special 30th anniversary event

‘Jurassic Park’ headed back to theaters in 3D for special 30th anniversary event
‘Jurassic Park’ headed back to theaters in 3D for special 30th anniversary event
Murray Close/Sygma/Sygma via Getty Images

Steven Spielberg‘s groundbreaking Jurassic Park is roaring back into theaters in 3D to celebrate the movie’s 30th birthday.

Universal Pictures and RealD 3D theaters are collaborating on the nationwide rollout, starting with sneak previews Thursday, August 24, before its official relaunch on Friday, August 25.

The movie was initially converted to 3D for its 20th anniversary in 2013, a rerelease that added more than $45 million to the blockbuster’s take — two decades after it left theaters.

“There’s truly no better way to see Jurassic Park than on the big screen,” said Jim Orr, president of domestic theatrical distribution for Universal Pictures. “The monumental impact it made back in 1993 stands as a true testament to Steven Spielberg’s unparalleled genius.”

Of the 30th anniversary presentation of the “timeless classic,” Orr says, “With this release in RealD 3D cinemas across the US and Canada, we’re thrilled to offer moviegoers the chance to rediscover this movie once again on a big screen.”

Sean Spencer, vice president of sales and marketing for RealD, added, “This is summertime event moviegoing the way it was meant to be seen.”

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Rosario Dawson: From dreaming of being a female action hero to ‘Ahsoka’

Rosario Dawson: From dreaming of being a female action hero to ‘Ahsoka’
Rosario Dawson: From dreaming of being a female action hero to ‘Ahsoka’
Lucasfilm

Rosario Dawson has been logging memorable movie and TV roles for decades, but she tells Emmy magazine that thanks to a Star Wars character named Ahsoka Tano — and the will of the Force — she’s made her dreams of being an action star come true.

Tano was first created by Dave Filoni for the Emmy-winning animated series Star Wars: The Clone Wars, voiced throughout the celebrated show’s entire run by Ashley Eckstein.

However, at some point, the Force, or the internet, took over: In a now-legendary deleted tweet, one fan posted a picture of Dawson embracing her onetime acting classmate Hayden Christensen — the guy who played Ahsoka’s teacher, Anakin Skywalker, in the Star Wars prequels.

Then artist Kode Abdo, who goes by BossLogic, tweeted a viral image of Dawson with Tano’s alien features.

Dawson responded, “Ummmm … yes please.”

Not long after that, Rosario got the job playing the formidable former Jedi in The Mandalorian and then The Book of Boba Fett, both of which Filoni produces and both leading to her own Ahsoka series.

“The Force is really strong on those projects,” Dawson says in the magazine’s cover piece. “Who knows what would’ve happened if BossLogic hadn’t made a fan-cast of me?”

Still, she comments, “Dave loves to be like, ‘You didn’t just get this job because of a tweet.'”

She says of the part, “Dream role? More like fantasy. There’s no way that I was trying to manifest this to happen. It’s unbelievable.”

Dawson adds, “I grew up loving action-hero women, with that Terminator kinda thing [in Linda Hamilton‘s Sarah Connor] and [Sigourney Weaver‘s Alien series character] Ripley. I can’t believe I’m playing someone in that sphere.”

Ahsoka debuts on Disney+ August 23.

Disney is the parent company of ABC News.

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Reality Roundup: A ‘Bachelor’ engagement, a ’Housewives’ baby, and more

Reality Roundup: A ‘Bachelor’ engagement, a ’Housewives’ baby, and more
Reality Roundup: A ‘Bachelor’ engagement, a ’Housewives’ baby, and more

Have no fear, your reality roundup is here! Here’s a look at what’s happened in the world of reality television this week.

Bachelor in Paradise (ABC)

Abigail Heringer and Noah Erb are going to tie the knot! The couple, known individually from The Bachelor franchise, announced their engagement on Instagram August 9. Abigail 28, shared a photo of the couple embracing and captioned it, “I’ve loved you three summers now, honey, and I want ‘em all.” People confirms, the proposal went down the evening of Tuesday, August 8 in La Jolla, San Diego, at a beachside residence adorned with red and pink roses and petals as friends gathered to celebrate the significant occasion.

Real Housewives of Beverly Hills (Bravo)

Former Real Housewives star Diana Jenkins, 49, welcomed a baby girl on Tuesday, August 8. Taking to Instagram, she shared snapshots with the newborn and captioned it, “Welcome to the world our sweet little girl … Meet Elodie Mae Book … Born on 8.8.23.” Elodie is her second child with fiancé Asher Monroe, joining their 2-year-old daughter Eliyanah, while Diana also has two older children, Eneya and Innis, from her previous marriage to Roger Jenkins.

Jersey Shore (MTV)

Jersey Shore star Angelina Pivarnick reportedly contacted the police regarding an alleged domestic violence incident involving her fiancé Vinny Tortorella, according to documents obtained by Page Six. Pivarnick’s attorney, James Leonard Jr., told Page Six in a statement Wednesday, August 9, “I can confirm that Angelina did in fact call the police to her home. After speaking with the officers, Angelina decided not to file charges. This matter is now closed. Moving forward, Angelina would ask for privacy as it pertains to her personal life.”

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Tiffany Haddish preparing documentary on women who date the homeless

Tiffany Haddish preparing documentary on women who date the homeless
Tiffany Haddish preparing documentary on women who date the homeless
ABC

Before the SAG-AFTRA strike ground Hollywood to a halt, The Hollywood Reporter notes Tiffany Haddish was developing a documentary shining a light on an interesting phenomenon: successful women who date homeless men.

“I experienced homelessness myself and found that there was a stigma on it that I don’t think should be there,” said the Haunted Mansion star.

“Everyone deserves to be loved. Everyone deserves to have someone supporting them and caring for them — not necessarily carrying them all the way.”

She added, “It’s really important for people to make sure that they know that because it’s really hard to be homeless. So many people are isolated and living on the streets alone.”

Incidentally, Kevin Hart once said on Instagram he “had no idea” his Night School co-star and fellow comedian Haddish was living out of her car when they met.

“I had no idea until I saw a s***load of clothes in her car outside of a comedy club in LA,” Hart posted back in 2018. “I asked her what was going on and she down played [sic] the situation.”

Hart added, “I reached in my pocket and gave her all the money I had which was $300 at the time. She held onto that moment…That moment gave her a bed & shower for a couple of nights…This woman never let her life situation beat her. She stayed true to her dreams and bust her a** to get where she is today.”

Evidently, Kev still refuses to take his $300 back, but not for lack of trying on Tiff’s part. “No! Because then what would I have to hang over [her] head?” he asked Essence in 2019. “Absolutely nothing.”

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

‘Wonder Woman 3’ reportedly isn’t happening, despite what Gal Gadot has said

‘Wonder Woman 3’ reportedly isn’t happening, despite what Gal Gadot has said
‘Wonder Woman 3’ reportedly isn’t happening, despite what Gal Gadot has said
‘Wonder Woman 1984’ – Warner Bros. Pictures

Gal Gadot recently made headlines by saying that DC Films co-chairs James Gunn and Peter Safran had discussed making a third Wonder Woman film, with her reprising the title role — but sources are now saying that was never the case.

In an interview with ComicBook.com about her Netflix action film Heart of Stone, Gadot said, “I love portraying Wonder Woman. It’s so close to and dear to my heart. From what I heard from James and from Peter is that we’re gonna develop a Wonder Woman 3 together.”

A subsequent interview with Flaunt magazine had Gadot saying, “I was invited to a meeting with James Gunn and Peter Safran … and what they told me, and I’m quoting: ‘You’re in the best hands. We’re going to develop Wonder Woman 3 with you. [We] love you as Wonder Woman — you’ve got nothing to worry about.’ So time will tell.”

The comments particularly rankled some fans of Henry Cavill‘s Superman, as Gunn and Safran made it clear they were sweeping the decks of the old Warner Bros. DC Comics-based universe and starting fresh with Superman: Legacy, debuting in 2025.

Hollywood‘s David Corenswet will be succeeding Cavill as Clark Kent/Superman and Rachel Brosnahan will take over Amy Adams‘ character, Lois Lane.

However, sources are telling Variety “nothing was ever promised” to the actress regarding a third film, “nor was there any definitive discussion” about it.

Gadot starred as the Amazonian goddess in her own blockbuster standalone film in 2017, directed by Patty Jenkins. The pair’s 2020 follow-up, Wonder Woman 1984, wasn’t as well received.

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

“I’m officially a Swiftie!” ‘Yellowstone’ lead Kevin Costner jumps on the Taylor bandwagon

“I’m officially a Swiftie!” ‘Yellowstone’ lead Kevin Costner jumps on the Taylor bandwagon
“I’m officially a Swiftie!” ‘Yellowstone’ lead Kevin Costner jumps on the Taylor bandwagon
Axelle/Bauer-Griffin/FilmMagic

While his Yellowstone alter ego John Dutton is happily a throwback to the early days, Kevin Costner has proudly joined a modern pop star’s fandom.

The Oscar winner was just one of the many, many celebrities who attended Taylor Swift‘s Eras Tour during its six-night stand in Los Angeles, and he came away duly impressed.

Posting a series of photos and videos from the show, the actor wrote, “My videos are blurry, but I had an amazing time with my daughter at the @taylorswift show. I was absolutely blown away watching her art bring so many people together.”

Costner, who’s also a musician and leads his own band, Modern West, added, “I had a great view of her band and had a blast watching them, too. An inspiring night. I’m officially a Swiftie!”

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

‘Red, White & Royal Blue’ director talks bringing bestselling book to the screen

‘Red, White & Royal Blue’ director talks bringing bestselling book to the screen
‘Red, White & Royal Blue’ director talks bringing bestselling book to the screen
(L-R: Taylor Zakhar Perez, Nicholas Galitzine, Matthew Lopez) Prime Video

International relations take on a whole new meaning in the new romantic comedy Red, White & Royal Blue, based on the bestselling novel by Casey McQuiston.

The film follows fiery first son of the United States, Alex Claremont-Diaz (Taylor Zakhar Perez), and buttoned-up British prince Henry (Nicholas Galitzine) as they fall into an enemies-to-lovers romance that threatens to upend their prestigious families’ carefully curated public image.

It marks the directorial debut of Tony-winning playwright Matthew Lopez, who tells ABC Audio he knew he had to make the film after first connecting with the book.

“For me, I think it was my connection to Alex as a character and my strong desire to make a film that had such a positive depiction of a young Latin man in its center,” he says. “In addition to the fact that it was this beautiful queer love story.”

That love story hinges on the chemistry between Perez and Galitzine. Lopez says he saw hundreds of actors for the roles, but those two “stood out as special” and were able to bring the characters to life.

“I spent many months just sort of putting them through their paces and checking to make sure that I was right about them, including putting them together in a chemistry read on Zoom and seeing how well they played together,” he says. “And it was very clear to all of us over time that these two were just the perfect actors for these roles.”

As for what he hopes audiences feel while watching the film, Lopez simply says, “Love, hope, swooning romance and fun.”

Red, White & Royal Blue is available now on Prime Video.

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.