Did Selena Gomez break the SAG-AFTRA strike rules with ‘Only Murders’ post?

Did Selena Gomez break the SAG-AFTRA strike rules with ‘Only Murders’ post?
Did Selena Gomez break the SAG-AFTRA strike rules with ‘Only Murders’ post?
Hulu

Selena Gomez‘s currently focusing on her music career, having just released the new track “Single Soon.” But she’s also an actor and actors are currently on strike — which is why some people were taken aback at one of her social media posts.

The Instagram Reel — captured by a Reddit user — was a black-and-white video of Selena, captioned “Missing and wanting.” She tagged the official Instagram account for her Hulu show Only Murders In the Building in the post.

So what’s the big deal? The rules of the SAG-AFTRA strike say that members can’t promote their work, which means that not only can they not do interviews, they aren’t supposed to post about their projects on social media either.

Many of Selena’s followers wondered why she was breaking the rules; a commenter on Reddit called her a “scab,” with another saying, “It ain’t a good look.” However, another Reddit user pointed out that Selena isn’t just the star of Only Murders: she’s also a producer. And because producers aren’t on strike, they’re free to talk about their work.

According to Variety, Selena’s post received more than 1 million likes before it was taken down, 15 hours after it went up. A rep for SAG-AFTRA declined to comment to Variety on the matter.

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

‘Bachelor’ alum Matt James reacts to his mom competing on ‘The Golden Bachelor’

‘Bachelor’ alum Matt James reacts to his mom competing on ‘The Golden Bachelor’
‘Bachelor’ alum Matt James reacts to his mom competing on ‘The Golden Bachelor’
ABC/Christopher Willard – ABC

ABC revealed the 22 women who will vie for Gerry Turner‘s heart on The Golden Bachelor, and one of them should be familiar to Bachelor Nation — it’s Bachelor alum Matt James‘ mother Patty James.

Matt showed his support for Patty by posting her headshot on his Instagram Story with the caption, “i ccc uuu mama,” followed by a flaming heart emoji.

Earlier, Patty responded to the announcement on her Instagram, describing her upcoming journey to love, “sooo exciting.”

Matt who starred in season 25 of The Bachelor, replied in the comments with three flaming heart emojis, while his girlfriend Rachael Kirkconnell, who he met on the show, added, “She’s ready to find love.”

Patty, a 70-year-old real estate agent, has been single for almost 30 years. She was previously married to Manny James, Matt and his brother, John’s, dad. She and Manny split when their sons were little, and Patty continued as a single mom. She’s “hoping to meet a kind, funny, smart and confident man for herself,” according to her Bachelorette bio.

“I want to meet someone who loves and cherishes me that I can live out my golden years with,” she says.

The Golden Bachelor premieres Thursday, Sept. 28, at 8/7 p.m. central on ABC.

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

In Brief: McG wants Barrymore, Diaz, and Liu for ‘Charlie’s Angels 3’, and more

In Brief: McG wants Barrymore, Diaz, and Liu for ‘Charlie’s Angels 3’, and more
In Brief: McG wants Barrymore, Diaz, and Liu for ‘Charlie’s Angels 3’, and more

Joseph McGinty Nichol, known professionally as McG, and who directed the 2000 film adaptation of Charlie’s Angels, starring Drew Barrymore, Lucy Liu, and Cameron Diaz, and its 2003 sequel Charlie’s Angels: Full Throttle, hasn’t given up hope on helming a potential Charlie’s Angel 3, according to Deadline. “It would take a long discussion with those three wonderful performers, who I adore,” he says. “I love the three of them so much. They put me on the map. They looked out for me when I was a first-time filmmaker. I was very nearly fired off that film on many, many occasions, and Drew stood up for me and I’m forever indebted to her. And obviously, those are three performers where God broke the mold. They don’t make ’em like that. I mean, those are three special ones.” Meanwhile, McG’s latest project, the upcoming Netflix Jennifer Garner body-swap comedy Family Switch, debuts November 30…

(NOTE LANGUAGE) Deadline reports the Rebel Wilson feature Bride Hard, which just wrapped up production in Savannah, Georgia, has been cleared for a SAG interim agreement. The indie film stars Wilson as “a bada** secret agent who is a force to be reckoned with as a mercenary group takes hostage her best friend’s lavish wedding,” according to the outlet. Anna Camp, Justin Hartley, Anna Chlumsky, Stephen Dorff, Gigi Zumbado and Da’Vine Joy Randolph also star…

Netflix announced on Wednesday, August 30, that it has renewed The Lincoln Lawyer, the drama from David E. Kelley, for a third season, according to Variety. The 10-episode third season will be based on the fifth book in Michael Connelly‘s The Lincoln Lawyer series, “The Gods of Guilt.” Manuel Garcia-Rulfo, Becki Newton, Jazz Raycole, Angus Sampson and Yaya DaCosta will reprise their roles in the series that follows Garcia-Rulfo’s Mick Haller, a defense attorney who conducts his business out of the back seat of his chauffeur-driven Lincoln Town Car…

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

‘Bottoms’ filmmaker Emma Seligman dishes on her unconventional high school comedy

‘Bottoms’ filmmaker Emma Seligman dishes on her unconventional high school comedy
‘Bottoms’ filmmaker Emma Seligman dishes on her unconventional high school comedy
Orion Pictures

The new movie Bottoms is here to make you laugh, and also slightly alter the paradigm of teen sex comedies.

Bottoms is about Josie and PJ, two horny, unpopular girls in high school who start a fight club so they can try to impress and hook up with their … cheerleader crushes,” director and co-writer Emma Seligman tells ABC Audio.

“I think that I wanted to put something in the world … that I wish I could have seen in high school,” says Seligman, who co-wrote the raunchy coming-of-age comedy with Rachel Sennott, who stars alongside The Bear’s Ayo Edebiri. “I think Rachel and I … just wanted to write a comedy and make people laugh and do something fun and stupid.”

Because of its queer representation, Seligman says the film has an element that was missing from similar movies she watched as a kid, though they were all strong influences.

“I loved all these teen rom coms growing up like Ten Things I Hate About You or She’s All That or, you know, on the campier side like Not Another Teen Movie and you know, Sugar and Spice and Bring It On … SuperbadAmerican Pie and whatnot,” she explains. “It’s like a love letter to these movies for sure.”

“It was important … to show queer horny girls,” says Seligman, noting, “What is so refreshing about watching teen sex comedies is that these characters are flawed and relatable and human and selfish and hormonal, and they’re able to get away with doing things that, you know, adults really can’t.”

“They’re making mistakes left, right and center,” she continues. “And I think that it was just important to like, see a version of that for girls and for queer teens.” 

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Hulu cancels ‘The Great’ after 3 seasons

Hulu cancels ‘The Great’ after 3 seasons
Hulu cancels ‘The Great’ after 3 seasons
Hulu

Hulu has pulled the plug on the anachronistic period drama The Great after three seasons, ABC Audio has confirmed.

The show, which starred Elle Fanning and Nicholas Hoult, had the former playing Catherine the Great the Empress of All Russia. Its third season kicked off on May 12.

Hoult played Emperor Peter III in the project, which was described by the streamer as an anti-historical look back at the royals, based on the 2008 play from Australian playwright Tony McNamara.

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Did Selena Gomez break the SAG-AFTRA strike rules?

Did Selena Gomez break the SAG-AFTRA strike rules?
Did Selena Gomez break the SAG-AFTRA strike rules?
Patrick Harbron/Hulu

Selena Gomez‘s currently focusing on her music career, having just released the new track “Single Soon.” But she’s also an actor and actors are currently on strike — which is why some people were taken aback at one of her social media posts.

The Instagram Reel — captured by a Reddit user — was a black-and-white video of Selena, captioned “Missing and wanting.” She tagged the official Instagram account for her Hulu show Only Murders In the Building in the post.

So what’s the big deal? The rules of the SAG-AFTRA strike say that members can’t promote their work, which means that not only can they not do interviews, they aren’t supposed to post about their projects on social media either. 

Many of Selena’s followers wondered why she was breaking the rules; a commenter on Reddit called her a “scab,” with another saying, “It ain’t a good look.” However, another Reddit user pointed out that Selena isn’t just the star of Only Murders: she’s also a producer. And because producers aren’t on strike, they’re free to talk about their work.

According to Variety, Selena’s post received more than 1 million likes before it was taken down, 15 hours after it went up. A rep for SAG-AFTRA declined to comment to Variety on the matter.

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

On new podcast, Jimmy Kimmel says he was “very intent” on retiring before the WGA strike

On new podcast, Jimmy Kimmel says he was “very intent” on retiring before the WGA strike
On new podcast, Jimmy Kimmel says he was “very intent” on retiring before the WGA strike
ABC/Jeff Lipsky

In the first installment of Spotify’s Strike Force Five podcast, Jimmy Kimmel told his fellow late-night hosts he was “very ready” to retire before the Writers Guild of America strike forced their shows to go dark.

As reported, Strike Force Five united Kimmel, Stephen Colbert, Jimmy Fallon, John Oliver and Seth Meyers to chat about the strikes, in a program that’s been created to benefit their out-of-work writers and show staff.

“I was very intent on retiring right around the time where the strike started,” Kimmel said on the premiere episode. “And now I realize, ‘Oh yeah, it’s kind of nice to work.'”

Meyers quickly chimed in, “Kimmel, c’mon, you are the Tom Brady of late night … you have feigned retirement.” Kimmel insisted he was “serious … very, very serious” about hanging it up.

Early in the conversation, the moderator, Kimmel, asked his colleagues if people on the street have asked them about the strike, to which Colbert said they usually asked “how the vacation’s going?”

Colbert quipped, “I usually say, ‘This is like a vacation in the same way a colonoscopy is like a nap.'”

Later in the podcast, Kimmel revealed Ben Affleck “and the despicable Matt Damon” offered to pay his Jimmy Kimmel Live staff “out of their own pockets” for two weeks, but he refused, saying he felt it “was not their responsibility” to do so.

Jimmy also said co-sponsor Ryan Reynolds offered free Mint Mobile service for a year for the out-of-work show staff.

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Netflix announces its star-packed upcoming slate

Netflix announces its star-packed upcoming slate
Netflix announces its star-packed upcoming slate
Netflix

On Wednesday, Netflix laid out its schedule for the fall through December. It includes documentaries, series and feature films from the likes of director and star Bradley Cooper, Chris Evans, Julia Roberts, Jodie Foster and more.

September’s offerings include the documentaries Scouts Honor: The Secret Files of the Boy Scouts of America on September 6 and The Saint of Second Chances on the 19th; the rom-com Love At First Sight and the vampire thriller El Conde on September 15; the reboot Spy Kids: Armageddon on September 22; and Wes Anderson‘s drama The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar on September 27.

October 6 will see the release of the thriller Reptile, starring Justin Timberlake, Benicio Del Toro and Alicia Silverstone. October 13 will see Phoebe Dynevor and Alden Ehrenreich starring in Fair Play; the Bill Burr-starring comedy Old Dads on October 27; and Pain Hustlers with Chris Evans on October 22.

November will see the Diana Nyad biopic Nyad debut on the third of the month, starring Annette Bening as the long-distance swimmer, and Jodie Foster as her best friend and coach Bonnie Stoll. November 3 is also the release date of the Sylvester Stallone documentary Sly.

On November 10, Fight Club and Se7en director David Fincher‘s The Killer drops on the streaming service, followed by the holiday film Best. Christmas. Ever! on November 16, and the animated Adam Sandler and Bill Burr film Leo on November 21.

On November 30, Jennifer Garner‘s body-swap comedy Family Switch debuts.

In December, Julia Roberts’ thriller Leave the World Behind drops on the eighth of the month, followed by the sequel Chicken Run: Dawn of the Nugget on December 13.

On December 20, Netflix debuts the biopic Maestro, starring director Bradley Cooper and Oscar nominee Carey Mulligan.

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

“That’s going to be total torture”: ‘America’s Got Talent’ judge Simon Cowell says his son wants to compete

“That’s going to be total torture”: ‘America’s Got Talent’ judge Simon Cowell says his son wants to compete
“That’s going to be total torture”: ‘America’s Got Talent’ judge Simon Cowell says his son wants to compete
NBC/Trae Patton

While Simon Cowell is the producer and resident tough judge on America’s Got Talent and its U.K. version, he’s worried about a soft spot for a potential hopeful: his 9-year-old son, Eric.

“[Eric] decided he’s going to audition for Britain’s Got Talent,” Simon tells Entertainment Tonight.

“I think he wants to be in a rock band. He loves Green Day,” Cowell says. “That’s going to be total torture.”

He added, “I mean, of all the things I’ve ever done, this will probably be the hardest, because he does play drums. [He’s] going to drum and sing! I went, ‘Oh God, no,'” adding the lad is “really serious about it.”

Simon says, “I don’t know what it is. Maybe because all these kids are auditioning and now he wants to be up there with his friends … I think, hopefully, he’ll be sitting there in 10 or less years’ time.”

That said, for now Eric is contributing to the show in his own way, by spectating near his famous dad. Simon calls him “a great barometer” for talent.

“[W]ith kids you can’t fake it, you know? If they like something, they like it. If they don’t like it, they’re bored,” Cowell says.

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Adam Driver drives to win in teaser to Michael Mann’s ‘Ferrari’

Adam Driver drives to win in teaser to Michael Mann’s ‘Ferrari’
Adam Driver drives to win in teaser to Michael Mann’s ‘Ferrari’
NEON/Lorenzo Sisti

On Wednesday, August 30, independent movie company NEON released the teaser to Ferrari, the anticipated biopic about legendary supercar designer Enzo Ferrari, which was directed by Heat‘s Michael Mann.

Set in the summer of 1957, Adam Driver plays Enzo as he, his marriage, his legacy and his company are in crisis.

“Bankruptcy threatens the factory he and his wife, Laura (Penelope Cruz) built from nothing ten years earlier,” the studio teases.

“Their volatile marriage has been battered by the loss of their son, Dino a year earlier. Ferrari struggles to acknowledge his son Piero with Lina Lardi (Shailene Woodley). Meanwhile, his drivers’ passion to win pushes them to the edge as they launch into the treacherous 1,000-mile race across Italy, the Mille Miglia.”

The teaser, made up of silent vignettes of Enzo’s life in crisis — and of course some pulse-pounding racing scenes — has one line of dialogue at its close. “If you get into one of my cars, you get in to win,” Driver says.

Ferrari bet it all on the race, but 40 miles from the finish line, the Ferrari 335 S crewed by driver Alfonso de Portago and navigator Edmund Nelson blew a tire and smashed into a telephone pole, killing both men. The careening wreck fatally mowed down nine spectators. The 1957 race also claimed the life of another driver that same year, leading the Italian government to permanently ban the Mille Miglia.

The film speeds into theaters December 25.

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.