On Thursday, several arenas across the country, including New York City’s Madison Square Garden and San Francisco’s Chase Center, tweeted photos of the cover of Paramore’s upcoming album, This Is Why, superimposed on their respective venues.
Paramore has also been hinting at some sort of announcement via the band’s website calendar, which is currently teasing that “more” will happen on Friday.
Throughout the fall, Paramore has been touring more intimate theaters across the U.S., marking Hayley Williams and company’s first live shows in four years. Their current 2023 plans include headlining New Jersey’s Adjacent Festival and opening for a date on Taylor Swift‘s stadium tour, as well as a tour of the United Kingdom and South America.
This Is Why, the follow-up to 2017’s After Laughter, is due out February 10, 2023.
Meanwhile, you can catch Paramore perform on NBC’s The Tonight Show Thursday.
Aubrey Plaza is joining her Parks & Rec hubby Chris Pratt in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The websiteThe Illuminerdi first broke the news that the Emily the Criminal and White Lotus star will appear in Agatha: Coven of Chaos, the Emmy-winning WandaVision spin-off bound for Disney+.
The Hollywood Reporter added Thursday that Emma Caulfield, who played a nosy neighbor to Elizabeth Olsen‘s Wanda Maximoff and Paul Bettany‘s Vision in the hit, is also back for the spin-off.
The spin-off, starring Emmy nominee Kathryn Hahn in the witchy title role of Agatha Harkness, also added Heartstopper actor Joe Locke to the cast.
The actor confirmed that news himself via Instagram, noting he “screamed” when Marvel Studios emailed him to officially welcome him into the Marvel Universe. Officially, Marvel Studios remains publicly mum on most of its casting news, including for the 2023 series.
(SAN FRANCISCO) — Paul Pelosi has been released from the hospital, two sources familiar with the matter told ABC News, six days after being attacked in his home.
This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.
(NEW YORK) — A 43-year-old woman said she was raped while jogging along Manhattan’s West Side Highway Thursday morning, according to police.
The woman told authorities she was jogging near Pier 45 when, at about 5:30 a.m., a man grabbed her from behind, choked her and knocked her to the ground, the New York Police Department said.
She said he raped her, stole her wallet and phone and then fled on foot, according to police.
The victim flagged down another jogger who dialed 911, police said.
She was taken to a hospital in stable condition, police said.
Police announced the arrest of 29-year-old Carl Phanor on Thursday in connection with the jogger’s rape. Phanor has also been charged in the March 27 rape of a different woman in a nearly identical location. Additionally, police said Phanor has been charged in a third incident, an attack on a woman on the East Side of Manhattan. He is facing charges of sexually motivated robbery, robbery, grand larceny, strangulation, predatory sexual assault and criminal sex act.
Police said Phanor is undomiciled.
Law enforcement sources told ABC News earlier that a suspect was apprehended after police said he used the victim’s credit card at a Target in Midtown Manhattan.
Gabrielle Sumkin, who identified herself as the jogger who called 911, told ABC News she was on her usual running route when she noticed the victim, who she said appeared to be in distress. She said the victim had blood on her arm and elbows and was covering her eyes with her hand.
The 23-year-old said the victim could barely speak. Sumkin said, while she was on the phone with 911, the woman kept repeating, “I need help.”
She said she didn’t want to press the woman about what happened, and said she left the scene once first responders arrived. Sumkin said it wasn’t until news reports came out that she learned the woman had been raped.
Sumkin said she was sickened when she found out, and excused herself from work to go on a walk and cry.
“It’s disgusting. I’m a staunch feminist. I support women,” she said. “People who commit crimes like that are at the absolute bottom of my list.”
(NEW YORK) — The FBI on Thursday said it has “received credible information of a broad threat” to New Jersey synagogues.
In a tweet, the FBI urged people to “stay alert” and “take all security precautions to protect your community and facility.”
The threat, which originated online, was not specific to any one synagogue, law enforcement sources told ABC News.
The nature of the threat was not immediately clear, but law enforcement sources said it was not a bomb threat.
“Law enforcement will be increasing patrols in sensitive areas,” New Jersey Attorney General Matthew Platkin said in a statement. “Some of these patrols will be in marked vehicles and others will not — but please do not be alarmed if you observe an increase in police presence as we are taking these steps in an abundance of caution.”
Platkin also urged residents “to be extra vigilant” and report any suspicious activity to the police.
New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy tweeted that he’s in touch with the FBI, the New Jersey Attorney General’s Office and the New Jersey Office of Homeland Security and Preparedness.
“We are closely monitoring the situation and are working with local law enforcement to ensure that all houses of worship are protected,” the governor said.
The New York Police Department said it’s aware of the FBI’s alert.
“In an abundance of caution, the NYPD’s Intelligence and Counterterrorism Bureaus are working diligently alongside the Joint Terrorism Task Force and the FBI to ensure the safety and well-being of every area that encompasses our Jewish citizens and synagogues here in New York City and the Tri-State area,” the department tweeted.
Some have tried their hand at a Whitney Houston biopic, but an authorized story of the singer’s life will soon make its debut. I Wanna Dance with Somebody, named after her 1987 hit, is due out December 17 — amid the merry holiday season.
The film is about Whitney’s rise to fame, but centers on her relationship with mentor/record executive Clive Davis, who serves as a producer on the project.
Speaking to Billboard, Clive says it was time that “a full-fledged theatrical biopic be done on Whitney.” To ensure the biopic was an accurate depiction of her life, he made sure Anthony McCarten, who wrote the film, researched “every aspect of Whitney,” and even went as far as introducing him to her family and collaborators.
When he felt that the final script “was authentic, honest and understood the full nature of Whitney’s life,” Clive brought McCarten to Pat Houston, executor of Whitney’s estate, and Larry Mestel, CEO and founder of Primary Wave. They produced the film alongside Davis, Sony Tristar and Compelling Pictures.
With the film complete, Clive says he’s satisfied, especially with the portrayal of his relationship with Whitney. He notes that the film “hit home,” is realistic and is “very accurate in its portrayal of the dialogues we had.”
The record exec hopes the biopic has “a very positive effect” on Whitney’s legacy, as “it shows real depth and understanding of who she was, as well as the magnitude of what her musical life represented.”
He says seeing Whitney be celebrated again brings him “a combination of enormous pride, enormous regret at her premature passing, wonderment at the uniqueness of her incomparable voice and the impact she had on musicians, artists, singers everywhere.”
“It’s been quite the emotional human experience,” Clive adds.
Earlier this year, Elton John‘s husband and manger, David Furnish, told MusicWeek about the possibility of bringing the Rocket Man into the metaverse. Now, that virtual dream has become a virtual reality.
Elton has announced a collaboration with the popular online game platform Roblox. Titled Beyond the Yellow Brick Road, the virtual experience will, as a press release puts it, “let fans follow the yellow brick road through an interactive world inspired by Elton’s life and legacy.”
Users will be able to collect digital items inspired by John’s famed stage outfits, including the sequined Los Angeles Dodgers uniform he wore during his 1975 Dodger Stadium concerts.
In a statement, Elton shares that he’s “absolutely thrilled” about the project.
“I’ve always been myself and used my image, eyewear, and music to express myself, and Roblox really encourages that self-expression,” Elton says. “Now my fans can do the same, and that’s really exciting.”
“At every step of my career, I’ve always wanted to push forward and look to the future, and ‘Beyond the Yellow Brick Road’ is the next step on that journey as I prepare to step away from live touring after 50 years on the road,” he continues. “It’s genuinely thrilling, and I can’t wait to see the response from my fans and the Roblox community.”
Elton is set to play his final U.S. concert, taking place in Dodger Stadium, on November 20. The show will stream live on Disney+.
In a chat with Daily Beast’s The Last Laugh podcast, stand-up comedian and former SNL star Chris Redd detailed the October 26 attack that left him bloodied outside New York City’s Comedy Cellar.
“A surprise party of one fist,” Redd jokingly called the incident when talking to host Matt Wilstein.
Redd said contrary to published reports, he wasn’t exiting a car when his as-yet-unidentified attacker struck him, but instead was on foot. He said he was texting his cousin who works at the Olive Tree Cafe, the eatery above the famous comedy venue.
He continued, “As I put my phone in my pocket … this man hit me in the face with something metal … I thought it was brass knuckles because it cut my nose to the bone.”
The attacker then fled.
Redd said, “I jumped back on my feet very quickly … but I did hit that ground for five seconds, though.”
Redd continued, “I’ve taken a punch to the face before, so it wasn’t terrifying, but what was worrisome was how much blood was coming out of my face.” It left him unable to chase his alleged attacker, he explained.
He said the amount of damage done to his face leads him to suspect he was hit with some kind of weapon. “I got two fractures in my nose and one in my cheek.”
Redd revealed he still wanted to go onstage that night to talk about the situation, but he couldn’t perform because he was bleeding so much.
The suspect remains at large.
The full interview with Wilstein drops November 8 on all podcasting platforms.
Johnny Depp has booked a high-profile appearance following his legal victory in his defamation case against ex-wife Amber Heard in June.
ABC Audio can confirm the former Pirates of the Caribbean star will appear in Rihanna‘s Savage X Fenty Show Vol. 4, which debuts on Amazon on November 9.
The fashion show also boasts appearances from other famous faces, including Black Panther‘s Winston Duke, Shang-Chi‘s Simu Liu, Abbott Elementary Emmy winner Sheryl Lee Ralph, Oscar nominee Taraji P. Henson, model and actress Cara Delevingne, and upcoming Beverly Hills Cop sequel star Taylour Paige.
When Dolly Parton was named as a nominee to join the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, she initially demurred, saying that as a country artist she hasn’t earned the honor.
But the fans and voting members alike disagreed, so Dolly’s going into the Hall, whether she thinks she deserves it or not. The country legend has said she hopes to earn her rock bona fides by putting out a rock album — and in a new interview with Pollstar, Dolly says that’s still the plan.
“When I got nominated for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, I thought, ‘Well, no better time to do it.’ I had always wanted to do it,” she says, explaining that her husband is a rock fan and she’d love to put out an album full of rock songs for his sake, too.
Dolly says she’s getting her affairs in order to work on that project once her schedule frees up a bit and even hints that she’ll “maybe have some of the greats, the legends of rock ‘n’ roll, sing along with me.”
She certainly wouldn’t be the only country artist to dip her toe into the rock world. Johnny Cash, Chet Atkins, Brenda Lee and Jerry Lee Lewis are just a few Hall of Famers who straddle the country and rock worlds.
Modern country has plenty of rockers, too. Carrie Underwood has been collaborating with Axl Rose onstage quite a bit recently — and covering “Welcome to the Jungle” live on tour — and hitmakers like Brantley Gilbert and Hardy are known for touring on bills that include both country and rock artists.